Finding what you need on the website

UPDATE: this exercise is now closed.

But there is a part two running until February 5th if you’d like to take part: Part 2 of “Finding what you need on the website”

=======

Last summer, we spent some time speaking with people affected by stroke about the Stroke Association and My Stroke Guide websites.

They told us what they liked and what they didn’t.

Following this feedback, we want to improve the bits of the website that don’t work as well as they could.

But first, we need your help.

We are running a card sort exercise from now until the 13th January. You can click below to get started or keep reading if you want to know more.

Start card sort

A card sort is exactly what it sounds like. We’ll (virtually) show you a number of cards and you will organise them into (virtual) piles.

These piles will represent cards that you think belong together. There are no right or wrong answers. We want to know your opinions on how the cards you see relate to each other.

You can watch a video of a mini card sort below to give you an idea of how it will work:

Sounds a bit strange…

It does, doesn’t it?

If you’re worried or feeling intimidated by the “techy” aspect of this, we would encourage you to do this activity with a friend or family member.

But don’t worry if this doesn’t sound like something you want to do. We know this is a slightly unusual ask. So if it isn’t your cup of tea, that is fine.

How do I sign up?

If you’d like to participate, simply click the link below to get started.

[Start card sort]

The deadline to complete is 13 January. It will probably take you around 10-30 minutes to complete.

Please get in touch if you have any questions. You can reach me in a comment below or on mystrokeguide@stroke.org.uk.

Thanks for your help,
Ashley

2 Likes

Thank you Lorraine!

Happy New Year to you too! Hope you had a good Christmas. x

1 Like

Oh wow, sounds like you had the best possible plan! No cooking, no tidying, just the fun parts of Christmas. :rofl: :joy: :star_struck:

Ours was lovely. Very relaxing, but surrounded by family, so really lovely too. x

1 Like

Hi Ashley

Yes ive just completed this too…hope it helps

Cheers and all the best for 2023

Andy

1 Like

Thank you Andy, I promise it will help loads.

Happy New Year!!
Ashley

1 Like

Cheers Ashley…

Andy

It is, isn’t it!? :sweat_smile: Thanks for doing that. Hope you have a good New Year!

1 Like

All done :blush: @AshleyTH I hope you find what you are looking for!

Thank you @LeannePB! We are finding some really interesting stuff.

I’ll be posting a follow-up activity in a couple weeks and will try to include an update on what we learned this time around.

1 Like

Hi
Shame to find out about this late on! :frowning:
might you update this post to take the link out rather than it go to a close url.
Or enable the url as openning a feature/use case backlog to be reviewed ever couple of months

Is there any reference material on how to access & combine/ cross post with categorise and hash tags (I forget what this platforms nomenclature is) - you’ve two on the op at the top of this thread - “about” & “announcements” the list of the latter is limited to about 5 such as driving and Covid.

Should I conclude by the nature of this post your in the SA admin staff? Your profile doesn’t say
Ciao

Hi @SimonInEdinburgh , thank you for your interest in this exercise.

I’ve taken your advice and updated the original post.

If you are still interested in taking part in this kind of activity, we do have a part two running until 5 February: Part 2 of “Finding what you need on the website”

In terms of posting to two categories, the “Announcement” category is a sub-category of “About the forum”, which is why they are both listed. I’ve had a look and we don’t seem to have an article all about Categories and how they work. But I will try to get one put together.

Finally, yes, I do work for the Stroke Association. I thought the line in my bio was enough, but I will certainly make that more clear. :grinning:

Thanks 4 yr reply.
Does the purple rosette code for SA staff ? Otherwise an ex-pat who studied here and married a Yorkshireman could be a ‘typical ss’

I don’t see the mechanism to doubly categorise posts - I’ve seen what you illustrate above many times but you haven’t shed light on how to access the mechanism & I haven’t found it or help text yet.

I did get taken to a faq (?) web once via a path I can’t now replicate where I think more definitive doc. was available

Cute cat btw :smile_cat:

Sorry, Simon, that wasn’t as clear as it could be.

There are a couple ways that you can post to a sub-category.

1. You can click the sub-category name and then the New Topic button.
  2. You can select a sub-category from the Category dropdown when you start a new topic.

I will try and get a full FAQ written up about this later this week, though.

I would say that the idea of “doubly categorising” posts is a bit of a misnomer. You can’t post a topic to two unrelated categories. The only way to get two names in the category box is to post to a sub-category. This will show the main category and the sub-category name.

Our FAQs are available via the “Need Help?” button in the bottom right corner of My Stroke Guide. Many of them (as needed) have also been copied to the FAQ sub-category.

1 Like

Hmmm
I’ve not currently got the concepts of operation of this bulletin board software straight in my mind. your post above inspired me to look in the purple footer and I saw help. when I went to that I saw Jira. Then my heart sunk because this is not going to be simple if it’s jira

I also wondered if you meant "there is a help on the page when your use the web I/f and whether that is the same on the mobile app

I think what I had struggled to express above was the fact that I wanted to post things where I categorised them in a way that I thought was useful to other people - I couldn’t see a way of extending the categories /subcategory - I was stuck with the ones that existed and they didn’t seem to be anyway to refine or extend

Hi Simon

The fact that our Jira knowledgebase is slightly separate from the forum itself is exactly why we try to keep a duplicate of all articles in the FAQ subcategory here on the forum.

The categories we have grew out of previous iterations of the forum, but if you think we have missed something, we can certainly discuss the addition of other categories.

Alternatively, you can use Tags as a way to help people find your topics. I don’t think it’s something that people use a lot of here, but the option is certainly available.

Hi @AshleyTH

Certainly sensible to put faq in an easily accessible place (and to humanize them from the presumed cultural familiarizing of tech savvy that an atlassian/discource audience would be assumed to have by their original authors)

Seems a strange platform choice for a non tech user base.

Are you the primary admin?

As you say that is little evidence of tags being used if the number and diversity is anything to go by. It is the preferred method according to atwoods blog which says tags have to be enabled and may be controlled by trust level.
The design concept was for self organising community according to the blog. Tags are only as good as habitual retrieval paths and they seem to have become category based

So who/How is a new tag created? How are tags followed.

ill have to research but looks like via manual advance search rather than via menu based “new” & “latest”?

Ciao :slight_smile:
Ps what the cat called

This is Beryl she is an old lady now

Hi Simon and Beryl

Awww, she has a lovely little face! What a cutie. Mine’s name is Marvel…she’s about four and a half. Still thinks she’s a kitten judging by how much she still wants to play. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

We chose Jira specifically for the self-help functionality that you can access on My Stroke Guide. If people are struggling to find what they need, they can also send us a message so we can help directly. It’s a balancing act to find a solution that is perfect, which is why we have so many FAQs copied here onto the forum.

So far we’ve had positive feedback on this combination method.

In terms of the tags, these can be created by anyone who is trust level 3 and up.

Thanks
Ashley

2 Likes

I couldn’t say for others. My experience would be that I explore more than most.

Give marvel a sctich under the chin from me

Thanks for the support

:smile_cat:

2 Likes