Feeling Ill

Hi

My husband had a stroke four months ago and is doing really well, however he just feels generally unwell every day. We understand his fatigue but he says he just feels so unwell.

Is this normal?

1 Like

This might not apply in your husband’s case, but a stroke is a massive blow to the whole system. His body is having to cope with effects both visible and invisible. He is also in the middle of a process. Changes are occurring all the time, some for the better, as he acclimatises to the world as it now presents itself. All of this takes and will take time. This can be unsettling and tiring but he will find a level and begin to feel more in control eventually.
Those who have had a stroke follow a path of their own. Each of us has to pick our own way, but we can and do give and get support along the way, some from our family and friends, some from the professionals and some from fellow stroke survivors.

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words, that really helps x

1 Like

Thank you, every bit of feed back really helps.

1 Like

Thank you. It is early days, we value your feedback.

2 Likes

As stroke survivors we all seem to suffer the same set of different problems. When I was having a bad day, I expressed it in the terms of not being well that day. This was a general way of expressing a whole lot of sensations and symptoms I couldn’t really put into words. The first six months or so, the brain is doing a lot of it’s own tinkering underneath the hood. After that it wants to get on with flying the ship but there are inevitably ongoing issues. If he is expressing being unwell as in nausea, that too can be a post stroke symptom some of us know all too well.

4 Likes

@lindashelton I am 8 months in & still get days where I feel generally unwell. When I read your message I thought if summed up how I am feeling this afternoon. 4 months for your husband is still very early days so I would say its not unusual to feel like that. As Rups has said its a way of expressing lots of things that we can’t really describe. Good to hear your husband is doing well otherwise. xx

1 Like

Hi. All the above is really true especially that we all have our own. We also have our own rates of rebuild, I am 6 years in now and I still make progress and I still have the feel unwell issue every so often but mine has got less and less - don’t give in :slight_smile: :muscle: all the best.
Phil

2 Likes

Thank you PJB

I hope you continue to get well x

Hi Linda sorry your husband had a stroke I’m 11 months into recovery and still have days feeling out of sorts. I miss my former self so much it’s a long road we are all on :pensive:he Is starting on his recovery road so just encourage as much as u can and give lots of hugs I’m always asking my hubby for a hug . Things do get better that’s all I can say but the shock of it all makes me feel down and generally unwell at times :pensive:

1 Like

Sometimes it can be very difficult to describe how things are at a given time. This is a very alien experience to which we gradually acclimatize. We do pick up on things we thought we’d never do again, we get used to coping with the difficulties that confronts us, but above all we appreciate the help and support those around us offer. At times things might not be wonderful, but with a shoulder to lean on at least they are bearable.

3 Likes

My husband is 6 and 4 years into his at least 3 strokes and often has off days still. He can’t explain it. He is still somewhat aphasic and worse after noon! He cannot read or write; he watches TV and listens to audio books. I’ve tried colouring books and that sometimes wins. he can manage playing patience on his phone but that is only very recent! Is he worse than a lot of stroke-sufferers?

Work on the early days little by little and motivate activities. I found my husband was very lethargic to do anything. he still does not like going out in the wheelchair and the car worries him as he is not in control as I drive and his partial vision makes it appear faster than it is; corners were more terrifying than they are now. He refuses to go for a walk nearby in his wheelchair and he has lost confidence in using his scooter. It is a slow slow job. Bless you - find some respite care for a few hours, even a couple of days and do your own thing then. Otherwise you are on the job 24/7.
Keep going! - Anne

THank you for your reply which I have found really helpful. It’s good to know other people feel the same way. Thank you. Anne

I do sympathise with your husband in being afraid while being driven. I AM getting better and am now able to sit on the rear seats of the bus which is quite an achievement with my balance issues, but I hate it when the driver passes other vehicles or near to the edge of the road and still have to close my eyes and hold onto the seat