Feeling anxious at the moment

Hi I’m coming up to 1 year stroke survivor but I’m feeling anxious in case it happens again anyone got any advice xx shaz

1 Like

I’m coming to my 1 year of surviving a stroke feeling anxious and worried it will happen again…!!! Anyone got any advice for me…! Shaz

1 Like

Feeling anxious it is coming up to my 1 year stroke survival and feeling anxious in case it happens again. Anyone have any advice :kissing_heart:

Sorry you are so anxious. Anxiety does pass, but milestones like one year should give you hope not dread. I had a big stroke six years ago and was anxious for a good two years, but then it faded. Ironically after nearly five years I had a second small stroke, but more of a TIA. That was resolved quickly and my medication changed accordingly. Mind you I am now nearly 79 so I just value each day and live for that. Please enjoy your life.

Thank you all for the replies and help I’m planning a day trip out with hubby to the Cotswolds xx

1 Like

Planning on going Saturday hope the weather is nice as I really feel the cold in my left side will wrap myself up like an Eskimo…haha

Shwmae @Pontwander, sound advice. I too went back into hospital after stroke with fear of symptoms mimicking another stroke.

1 Like

Shwmae @sharonjd69 (Shaz), I went through this repeatedly for about eight months after six TIAs and a major stroke knocked me for six. I approached it differently at different stages. At first, I thought, I’ve had a stroke, I know the symptoms, if I am having another one I can prepare myself for that. Secondly, came the ‘If I have another stroke, so be it, I’ll have it wherever and whenever it happens, might as well just role the die and see what occurs’. Finally, I started to do what @Pontwander has suggested, attune myself to my body, and I have also added CBT to this which is thankfully helping. I have dealt with panic attacks for most of my adult life, these mimic heart attacks or existential throes of distress, and are quite unpleasant. The weird thing about them is that they are all in the mind, but it is pragmatic to disseminate what is in the head, causing physical symptoms, and what are actual physical concerns. Not so easy, but it is possible through relaxation and managing cyclic thoughts which will, as their nature, go round and round, and also become worse if not attended.

Also, it’s worthwhile noting that, although not out of the woods (at least for five years), a stroke survivor is out of the critical period for a secondary stroke after one year, according to the medical experts. In some sense, confidence in our survival instinct is imperative, but also it should be noted that a stroke is a shock to the brain, it’s fear and anxiety mechanisms remain on high-alert, telling us to be careful of simply just existing. It’s our seat of consciousness, it doesn’t know where the blow came from, only that it did. In many ways, people across the world have experienced traumatic brain injury, sometimes a genetic disorder or caused by trauma. And there are many examples of those who have experienced that, and gone on to lead fulfilling lives.

I find your question very interesting and confronting because it’s at the root of many a stroke survivor’s fear. I do feel, however, it can be overcome with time and perhaps some CBT or some such thing, like mindfulness. These techniques offer a protocol for the mind moving forward.

1 Like

Hi Sharon – Do the doctors know what may have caused your stroke? Knowing the cause can bring some peace. After my stroke I saw a cardiologist and neurologist. The cardiologist found I had afib, which had caused the stroke. I was put on meds right away to treat that and blood thinners-- so I don’t worry any more. I figure: they found the cause. The cause is being treated. I did everything I could. Still, though, for several months after my stroke I had a lot of anxiety. So, I saw a therapist for several months. It helped to talk to someone that wasn’t family about my feelings. She gave me some coping tools that help (Self talk with positive suggestions.) I had a mantra which I said to myself constantly: “Every day in every way I’m getting better and better.” (and I was!) Every time a worry got into my head, I replaced it with my mantra. Eventually, the anxiety faded as I got on with life. I’m sure yours will, too. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart: Jeanne

1 Like

Hi it’s shaz we don’t no what caused my stroke I had heart monitor and different tests all came back clear. The only difference was I had my first covid jab the AZ and after I had that I had really bad headaches every day then 3 was later I had my stroke xx please note that I am not anti ax might have just been a coincidence xxx

Hi there is a condition called thrombocytopenia which can be caused by a injection I asked my consultant if jab caused the stroke but I got the answer no but I asked him for the proof he couldn’t answer…!!! I no in my heart and body what caused it but I have now accepted that I will never find the answer…!!! Even my own GP was gob smacked…!! :kissing_heart::kissing_heart::love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture::guitar::guitar:

1 Like

Hi all, I also don’t know what caused my stroke. I have had 2 open heart surgeries in the past for a bicuspid aortic valve (born with) but the most recent was 2007. That’s what they initially thought may have caused it which I thought was a bit far fetched. I also had my suspicions about AZ. I had my 2nd dose on 6th may last year and had stroke on 8th June. They say not related but I guess they mean not related to the one link they know about, however this doesn’t mean there aren’t other less common AZ links.
I now have an ILR implanted to monitor my heart rhythm to see if that gives any clues.

I’m pretty sure there are lots of people wanting to know the reason for their stroke but the truth is they don’t always get an answer. I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope that the ILR is another safety net along with the medication to keep me safe.

On that happy note I wish you all the best with your recoveries and hope none of you have any further health issues to deal with.
Good luck all :crossed_fingers::four_leaf_clover::pray::heart:

1 Like

I agree that there are lots of people who never know what caused their stroke. Mine was over three years ago, so before Covid, and the medical people have never been able to identify why. It is a bit disturbing but in the end I’ve had to accept that it happened. I take the medication and live a healthy life and hope for the best.

1 Like

Hey @Loshy. This is one anniversary non of us would ever anticipated or looked forwards to. But you made it, in your own words you have stuck your middle finger up at your stroke and got on with it. ( Still smiling at the image of that). You provide great support on this forum, only wish this hadn’t happened for you to be here in the first place. Hope today has not been too difficult for you, Julia x

2 Likes

I second that! Not sure I should say happy anniversary but appreciate the support you give.

Hope you’re doing okay today and remember you beat the stroke b#@!&# !

1 Like

Hi it’s shaz I have a moto that I say out loud… Not Even A Stroke can keep me down…:love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture:it makes me smile and laugh xxx

@Loshy hope your 1 year anniversary hasn’t been too bad for you. I’m sure it’s been a little difficult but hopefully you’ve stayed positive. Best wishes Ann :heart:

1 Like

Hi it’s shaz enjoy the wine you deserve it we SS deserve to spoil ourselves :beer::beer: cheers to us all :grin: