Fear and Anxiety at Night Time

Thank you for your post. As you say some days are OK then wham the next day is awful. Fatigue is the worst thing that we all seem to have after stroke. Take care love judy

Jack I  have had palpitations and irregular heartbeats and it always happens when I have had a busy day and always in the night when everywhere is quiet and panic sets in. The doctor has put me on blood thinning tablets and beta blockers which do help so see your doctor and maybe he will prescribe the same for you. All the best Norma.

Hi Judy , yes went out early am , with my wife for stroll down footpath , side of river in Worcester . Lovely! sunshine,  swans , dog walkers ,( miss terribly our old terrier dog ! maybe someday we might get a rescue dog ?)Did absolutely nothing, but sat on mobility scooter, lasted one hour ! Home , bed rest all day . Still very greatfull I can manage this . All the best David. 

Hello David. Lovely to have a stroll out with nature. It does you good. I didn't know that you got your scooter finally. Marathon next year then. Love judy

Hello Anne, thank you so much for your reply - it has really helped to know that so many people have experienced the same sort of feelings and can relate to Mum's situation.

It's now six months since her stroke and although things are still difficult...they are certainly slowly improving. She is still quite anxious generally but the specific issue surrounding night time has eased a lot. She sleeps well, probably better than before the stroke (despite being downstairs, which has been something new to get used to). It may be because I sleep in the same room with her, on the settee. I think it puts her mind at rest and allows her to drift off a little easier.

She has just finished six weeks of Community Physio, which has helped her to tackle the stairs a number of times - but it's not something she can do on a regular basis yet. And next week the OTs are starting to work with her, so hopefully they can move her recovery on further. She is able to walk around unaided on occasion, and has movement in her stroke affected hand, which is really positive at this stage.

In recent weeks we have also been able to get her into the car and out for a few drives, which has made a big difference....and has given her something else to focus on. It's quite a challenge for her to actually physically get in and out, but becomes easier each time she does it. We are lucky to have some local parks in our area. So we pop out with our flask of tea and some cake - and sit in the car, listening to and watching the birds. She's also been able to use her rollator to walk around one of the car parks, which was lovely to see.

There is obviously still a long journey ahead, which is made more difficult to navigate given the virus - but I feel we are getting there.

Best Wishes and Take Care, Karen

1 Like