Fatigue returns

I experience really bad fatigue after social interactions and excessive talking 

Hi I had my stroke in October 2019 and feel exactly same with fatigue I'm exhausted after social function I'm making excuses not to attend events ??

I find every day I have to have a lay down after doing simple tasks in the home

Hello Colin.  I just wanted to say that I am married to a stroke survivor, who loves to get stuck in to lots of jobs without taking any rest.  He always was someone who hated to sit about, doing nothing.  Who am I to stop him, although I know he will get over-tired, grumpy and depressed, inevitably.  You clearly enjoyed your busy day, and reality hits after a while, but hopefully you are pleased with what you got done, and with some rest, your energy will return.  Let's hope so.  Best wishes, 'Shorty'

Fully agree with the previous sentiments. Had my stroke in 2008 and whilst I can cope with the physical side nowadays, the effort expended on the cognitive functions such as attention,  memory and concentration is just exhausting. Whilst I am holding down a full time job nowadays, it takes every ounce of energy to meet that commitment. Definately a gol;d medalist in sleeping. 

Oh it is hard to explain why a short time gardening can lead to nausea and a very odd headache in my neck / head area. This usually responds to a lie down but its so miserable and frustrating. I can wake up fine and full of Ideas but often have to abandon my plans...if only I could find answers.(. Stroke was 4.5 years ago)

I had my stroke in 2018 and was told I would probably never walk again. I now walk my dog every day and even taught myself to drive again but I get very tired after doing a simple bit of physical activity and also perspire like crazy when I am active.  I get huge headaches if I push myself too far but I have learnt to be gentle on myself and appreciate that I can do a lot of things nobody thought I ever would.

Hi don't worry I am exactly the same but I have taught myself to do a little at a time and then have a break.

My daughter had a stroke 18 months ago. She has recovered quite well, but still suffers with headaches and nausea and tiredness. She is 44, and has two boys 5 and 11 years old. Her GP says it's normal, but has not seen her for over 12 months due to covid, of course. 

You sound like my daughter, the difference is, you had your stroke a long time before she did. It's heartbreaking to hear your story. I do wish you well. ?

Because I don't know how this site works, I didn't realize how many replies flew in to my stable under the name "fatigue returns".

so now I guess I just read those of you who have replied under this heading rather than the latest posts.

all you SS with long term difficulties. I knew Stroke was pretty much ignored by society, but now I think we have an underclass of long term stroke survivors.

can I add that I am so thrilled that so many have replied.

bless you all

colin

Dear Shorty

i did enjoy having gotten several jobs done, not sure I enjoy doing the tasks, certain I don't enjoy preparing to do them !

I can do about two hours and then I verge on collapse. So I need to be at home and not out in the big wide world. I can only walk a half mile, which is very disappointing. I should be able to do a mile or two and perhaps I will get back to that soon.

best wishes

colin

Thanks for reply...I get very grumpy and my family don't get it. I've had to separate from my husband because he did not get it at all and thought I was exaggerating at best! Sometimes I'm so normal but it doesn't last...my doc says it's migraine but it isn't...I know what migraine is like.

Let's start something that recognises the unwell ness we all have to deal with. I endlessly have to explain why I can't go somewhere or meet someone...usually people look blank. Being someone who hates being unreliable it is endlessly frustrating and getting emotional is totally understandable. What about public education and a badge to wear. All ideas welcome.!

I fancy a coloured walking stick. Green or blue or whatever. That is such a good idea Rozzer.

I have forgotten just how awful the after stroke is. So if I can't recall it easily then the public are going to be hard going.

I am an FCA but now I can not even do my own tax return. 

I did manage to write an article for "your cat" magazine and they published it. A major, but isolated achievement.

I also do a voluntary admin job for the church ruins, dealing with memorial stones. About five hours a month. Times to suit me.

my main work has been waiting on tables at the church hall. Boy did that take a lot of effort for me to learn. The pandemic crushed that little task.

as fast as recovery comes, it seems other ailments fill in the void. Perhaps that is just me ? 

you are very polite about third parties. In my opinion, people lose all patience after six weeks. I suppose that each one of us have different symptoms, no two strokes are the same.

we should all take over the Isle of Wight and live in each other's company. The new version of a lepers colony.

ttfn

colin

Dear Pauline,

I can manage two hours before resting. I do, however, resist a lie down. Or if I absolutely have to, I lie on the settee. I will not retreat to the bedroom.

I learnt this during the few days in hospital. Pre pandemic and, probably uniquely, there were lots of ward physios

colin

Dear Nigel

you are not lazy. You are doing your best. Big difference.

I avoid referring to '' my" stroke. I didn't want it and I don't want to own it.

colin

I had my stroke in 2019 two days after my 68th birthday. All my left side was affected mouth,face voice arm & leg were all paralysed.A blood clot had immobilised me. Oxygen followed by the clot buster injection saved me, followed by mega aspirin daily for a week, as I had a reoccurrence of the initial stroke as the clot moved through part of my brain. 

I am now pretty much back to normal in the gym & pool. Driving is no issue. I have broadly learnt to live with things as they are since I very nearly conked out. 
I did discover co-enzyme q10 which has largely overcome the fatigue issue. I am fortunate that when I need a reboot of the brain I can sleep or switch off for 5 minutes & that restores me.

Oh, I do feel for you. It's a tough slog with family, especially when empathy and support are vital for self-esteem and goad to continue the recovery process in a positive manner, or even just dealing with residual symptoms. I get grumpy too, last night I was cooking dinner for a select number of people, and then two more were invited without warning. this completely threw me, and I couldn't think straight because I had to adjust quantities, and no one was helping me in the kitchen. It made me quite grumpy but people around me just could not understand the pressure on my brain to adjust to what to them may seem like a fairly simple change in plans. Every relationship, and family dynamic is different, and sometimes managing that on top of all the complicated inner feelings associated with stroke can be a lot to have to deal with. Thankfully, my cat understands.

Ideally, I want a Gandalf staff, personally. Or a sword stick, but I don't think they are legal. I used to do fencing, you see.