Exercise, regaining confidence

I am 4 and half weeks post stroke, spent the first three exhausted and tired. I have been in a couple of short walks (always with my daughter) and tried a longer one at the weekend. Fine at the time but spent two days recovering. I know the importance of exercise and have always been a fit active person. How do you balance getting back out there with recovery? I keep reading how important it is to keep moving … is it too soon and am I expecting too much too early?
Sorry to ramble on, its all so much to get your head around

2 Likes

@Ktrean60 well done on getting out for walks. It is early days for you and fatigue will be a big part of your life for a while. You need to find a balance between pushing yourself & resting.

I was told my by physio (some months after my stroke when I was chatting to her about fatigue) that some people push themselves on their “good” days accepting that they will have more fatigue days. Others balance their activities out so they suffer fatigue on fewer days. It’s about working out the best option for you.

I would however say that rest is very important in 1st 6 months as the brain does its repairing.

Best wishes.

Ann x

1 Like

Thank you both for your advice. It is so hard isnt it? Life changes overnight, hard to accept and come to terms with. Loss of confidence in yourself and trust in your own body is a big one. I find the response on here so fast and kind so I would like to thank everyone xx

1 Like

As others have said, you are in very early days,so you will need to balance your desire for exercises with the inevitable fatigue that follows. After 7 years, I still need to have an hour’s nap at noon. I do go to three active seniors exercise classes a week, which has done wonders for my strength and balance, but I cannot do the walking I once did. I miss that but it is important to live with the person you are now not the person you once were.

3 Likes

Thank you for your replies and advice. Its a hard place to be isnt it. Wise advice to live your the life we have now. I will keep moving forward a bit at a time. Best wishes to everyone x

2 Likes

I can only endorse what others have said, I’m now in my 9th year post stroke and still apply the same formulae. I exercise as much as possible but if the signals say ease back, then thats exactly what I do.

My wife and I have just recovered from a nasty bout of Covid, my attack was almost vicious but recovery started quickly. Hers was less severe but lasted longer. For a while recovery from Covid was more important than my long term exercise plan and took precedence.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply, Im sorry to hear you and your wife have had Covid it takes it out of you for certain. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Iv taken everyones advice and taking it one day at a time. Yesterday was a good day so I had a short walk with my dogs.

1 Like

Baby steps sweetie. Happy New Year to you

1 Like

Thank you, happy new year to you as well. Its a hard place we all find ourselves in for certain

Welcome @sue3 hope you find lots if advice & support here xx