Emotions

I’m two and a half years now, but I still can’t explain my mood swings, I’m joyful the majority of the time, not like I was before the stroke but I’m learning how to make changes.
The other day I was going to walk along the cliff top and meet my husband at the bottom, it’s about a half an hour plus walk, I’ve done it before on my own since the stroke, but this time I was five minutes out from my house and I just burst into tears, hoping I wouldn’t bump into anyone I quickly tried to gain my composure and carry on, within another ten minutes I was crying again. I think I know what triggered it, it was the same walk that I did to work when I felt the first stroke happen, but the strange thing is I’ve done that walk before with no problems on my own…
Do some of you readers here have had that happen to you?
I feel as if I’m going mad sometimes, I’ve had three complete days without tears now so that’s a good thing.
Also I don’t like leaving the house, as soon as I’m in the car or I’m out with my husband I’m okay, it’s just that closing the door and making that first step.
Sorry to ramble, but it certainly helps to write things down on this forum
Love to all x

3 Likes

I can only agree with everyone. You are most definetely not alone! Be kind to yourself X

2 Likes

Shwmae @Kenmore, it’s called the Pseudobulbar affect, and is common after brain trauma. Interestingly enough, the cerebellum plays an important role in emotionalism. I have a blunted emotional response since stroke. I don’t know what type of stroke you had but even if it is cerebral, most pathways intercept with the cerebellum. I think it’s a matter of managing it through self-guidance. There also can be other neurological conditions that can cause the Pseudobulbar affect, so it is worth having a chat to your GP if it is worrying you.

1 Like

@Kenmore sorry you’re struggling with your emotions. It is normal following a stroke & anything that triggers memories of your stroke is likely to bring it on.
I know initially i could cry if someone said hello. That’s eased now but i still have moments.
If it doesn’t settle it may be worth speaking to your GP.
Best wishes.

1 Like

Hello Kenmore, my personal thoughts are that stroke causes psychological problems and trauma which affect most people to varying degrees. I was affected by a similar trauma response 20 months after my stroke and was persuaded to seek some professional help. Talking through what happened to me eventually allowed my brain to process the trauma. If you can find this help (not easy, nhs/gp/self-referral/private) and feel comfortable with the therapist, then this may help you in a practical way. Like most contributors I am not medically qualified. I would probably say I wasn’t keen to accept therapy but now realise the benefits it gives me. I wish you well.

3 Likes

@Kenmore You are definitely not on your own with this, I sat and cried yesterday afternoon, no warning, the tears just came. I think that as well as the physical effects of stroke, the emotional side is huge. Shock and trauma are real, one minute you are ok, the next you are in an ambulance, hospital and back home trying to understand what and why. Let the tears come and be kind to yourself, there is alot of help and advice here. As everyone else says this happens to us all and if you are worried you can speak to your GP. Sending best wishes xx