Emotions

Any body have trouble with there feelings sometimes I just get really overcome with trying to hold back from bursting into tears f no real reason.

5 Likes

@Mickyboy i am the same. I have shed lots of tears recently and over some “silly” things. I’m told emotional lability is very normal in stroke patients. I do believe it’s good to let it all out sometimes.

Mickeyboy, this is very common. Stroke affects the emotions as well as the body. I refuse to cry, but I do get angry when it takes a long time to do things or I have silly accidents. It’s something we survivors have to live with.

1 Like

Yep, this is one of the standard effects of a stroke. Visitors coming to see e in hospital were welcomed with a tearful breakdown, even the ones I didnt particularly like! It took nearly two years to get it under control but even now in my seventh year I have to be careful when conversations get a bit emotional. I believe your doctor can prescribe pills to help.
Deigh

1 Like

I too have trouble with crying,either sadness or laughing. A friend brought me some flowers and I cried for a few hours. I don’t know how to stop, I wish I did. Lilian

Hi,
As the others have said, this seems to be a fairly common problem post stroke. I was prescribed antidepressants after my stroke, which helped me cope with all the other physical problems. I came off them after a couple of years and I’m in a much better place now emotionally. It’s just the rest of me that doesn’t work properly!

I am a carer and my Mum had a stroke nearly 3 years ago. It was a massive stroke and whilst she was in hospital we were told that it is quite normal for people to burst into tears for no apparent reason. During the stay in hospital, we noticed some of the other patients in the ward did cry and they could not explain why.

Strangely, in nearly 3 years Mum has never cried. She is lost ability to communicate verbally and only makes noises or waves her hand about whilst communicating. She has been known to show anger if she is not happy with the carers - that is again a good sign for us as it suggests she knows what she wants and she is happy to let you know when she doesn’t think she is getting the care or respect she expects.

Emotionally, we don’t get too much, but she does enjoy a little laugh every now and then, though for us we can’t always see what she found funny. We have also heard her singing songs in her own “new” language. In fact, she can be heard singing most days and for us this is very pleasing as this suggests to us she is happy, possibly having accepted her condition and trying to get on with her life as best as she can - she is heavily dependent on her carers.

So for us, this is a slightly different view on emotions.

3 Likes

Hi Mickyboy , same here buddy, dont know why or how but i can be watching something on tv or listening to something on the radio and could get emotional, i found it strange.

@Mickyboy Oh yes I spent most of yesterday in tears for no reason, at one point I Was cycling away on my exercise bike blubbering away I was never a crier it’s very strange, I’m finding all the emotional stuff harder than the physical changes … at least with them you can work on most of them.

Hi loshy weather sunny now and love sitting in garden , still lonely and am still anxious about getting out walked to end of our path to gate and stood there then froze why it so hard all I have to do is get on bus and go feel so useless

@Mickyboy well done on walking to gate. That’s really positive. It’s natural to feel anxious after such a life changing event. Next time you have a go try another step or 2 & see how you get on. We’ll all be willing you on. Best wishes Ann :blush:

This is something I have noticed post stroke. What seems to get me is when there is a news report of someone famous dying (for me footballers in particular).