Emotional changes

Please bare with my long post..

The 1st June 2020 my 31 year old husband awoke me through a nudge, I looked at him and knew something wasn't right, he tried to talk, not a sound come out, he was drooling, his mouth slightly drooped.. I instantly knew he was either having a TIA or a stroke.. 

Up to the hospital with lots of tests the were 99% sure he had a TIA.. Symptoms had recovered and he was feeling more himself.. Few days later he saw a TIA doctor put him medication and sent him for an MRI.. The MRI confirmed he had a mini stroke on the left side of his brain

Well since his Mini Stroke I've noticed a change in his behavior.. Mostly in his temper, he has an extremely short fuse, the slightest thing sets him on a rage, he's broken numerous things in the house when he has one, belittles me when he has an outburst.

I guess I'm just looking for anyone who has been in this situation, is this an effect of the Mini Stroke?

Thanks guys 

Lemony, This is a fairly common after effect of stroke. Stroke affects the emotions as well as the body. After my first stroke I was very short tempered with my partner. I got angry with myself when I broke things and still swear with frustration occasionally when things go wrong. Being quite old, however, I do know how to count to ten or bite my tongue.

A lot will depend on your being more understanding of the emotional impact of his stroke and by not losing your own temper in retaliation. Show him you understand his frustration, but that things will improve. Any stroke is very hard to live with. He is also in the very early stage of recovery. Things  will get better.

Sending you both my best wishes.

Thank you so much for sharing your own experience. 

I kind of stay out of the way with our daughter whilst he's having one of his outbursts then when he's calmed down talk to him and try and get him to share what's going on. 

It is still early days and I'm here for him 100%

Thank you for the reassurance ❤️

Hi Lemony,

As the above answer suggests emotional changes after stroke are common and often form part of the hidden side of stroke..

I've met many folks with such problems. Definately not something to ignore or turn the other cheek. We have a few resources on here and on our website direclty relating to the changes youve identified. I'm sure these will be helpful in understanding and finding help for both of you around this topic.

And, as you have done, chatting with others with lived experience of stroke is going to be most helpful, knowing your not alone going through this can be a great tonic. 

I'm hopeful that twenty days on from your husbands stroke that things may be improving. Things certainly improve over time, just keep looking for and celebrating them :)

I hope this is helpful. 

Jason

Jason