Emotion/frustration/not walking

Hi folks. My mum (76) had a stroke 10 months ago and is in a care home. She’s not walking or talking properly. She doesn’t understand why she can’t go home and she’s very upset/frustrated most of the time. She’s fell out her wheelchair twice, 2nd time dislocating her ankle and breaking the surrounding bones. Now she can’t be left unattended unless in bed. Is there anyone out there going through something similar? Advice would be greatly appreciated pls🙏🏼TIA

Did your Mom get any therapy after her stroke? When in the hospital after my stroke, one of the therapies was speech therapy. It helped a great deal. I don’t know about falling out of the wheelchair. After my stroke I was left side paralyzed. I had physical therapy to learn how to walk again. Part of the therapy was a machine I stood in that tipped this way and that to help me learn how to balance again. Although I went home after 3 1/2 weeks , the physical and occupational therapies went on 2 times a week for 5 months. Maybe your Mom was not a candidate for that, but if she is, when she heals from her injury, perhaps some therapy would help her. I’m sorry I could not be more help. I will remember you both in my prayers tonight. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

2 Likes

Thankyou so much for your reply. I wish Mum would have had the continuous therapy you had. She went to rehab hospital for about 7 weeks where they tried to stand her but then it stopped as soon as she left and had to wait about 3 months, she had about 6 sessions of speech therapy too. The physical therapy stopped when she fell out of her chair now it’s started again. Everything is a battle to get organised!