Effects of a severe stroke

Hi Margaret,  I sometimes  use a Luggie  mobility  scooter  outdoors. It is quite small and folds away neatly. It's  easy to use with one hand and has been a godsend. It can also be taken onto a plane or a cruise  ship. We recently went  abroad  for the first time since  my stroke and it was a godsend .

I think you can hire scooters from some shops, it might be wise to try one, to make sure you get the right one for you and Len before  you buy. Good Luck.

Regards Sue 

I got the chair through Access to Work because using a manual chair left-handed was damaging my right arm and ok going my ahi!with to work. I was assessed by an OT who recommended the Otto Bock which is rear wheel drive with a kerb c!in her.

Ask anything you like.

Janet 

Hi Margaret, please tell Len don't lose hope. Keep moving his arm, any movement will help. I left the hospital after 6 weeks by mid-June 2017 - not being able to write with my right hand and had problems finding my mouth, cut my meat when eating. By mid-July as I was going to write a letter to my consultant using my left hand  I was amazed to find out I can write with my right hand again. Like a child but still I can write. Cooking became a struggle because I can't use my right arm properly. Now I can cook anything I want to cook. I am slow and I have to make sure I am safe but I can cook. 

I had (and still do when I feel the fatigue hitting me) to use a splint, frame and walker.  At the start I cannot walk without a frame and splint. My leg turned in whenever I am walking. I can only wear some shoes and sandals which will allow me to use my splint. I despaired thinking of all my shoes I can't wear anymore. I thought I can't drive again. 

Three years on I am not perfect. My mobility still needs working on but my right arm's mobility is back to almost 90/95%. Inside our house and in our garden I can walk unaided, limping and obviously disabled, but I can walk unaided. I can do everything I want/need to do albeit very slowly. And I can drive again after a long debacle with DVLA. 

I am not saying this to Len to gloat but to let him know things will improve but he have to keep moving, doing things. I always stick to my mantra "Every movement counts." Even when I am tired and struggling. 

I am wishing Len and you the best. I read it's his birthday. "Happy birthday Len."

Ruby

Hi Sue

Thanks for your update.  I am really glad you enjoyed your holiday abroad.  We usually go on Coach trips because of insurance for heart problems, but that is off now.  Len had phone conversation with Stroke Doctor this morning and he wants him to go to the spasticity service re his hand and arm.  We are having an assessment for a power chair next Thursday as this only needs one hand to operate.  Let you know how we get on.

Best Wishes

Margaret

Hi Janet

So glad they sorted you out so that you get to work more easily.

Len is having an assessment for a power chair next Thursday which can be used with one hand, and it will be useful for around the garden, which was his only hobby.

Best Wishes

Margaret

Dear Ruby

Thanks for your uplifting message.  Had telephone appointment this morning with stroke doctor who is to arrange for Len to be assessed at the spasticity service.

His  right hand has no feeling in it and he cannot lift his arm.  His right leg is far from good and he struggles to lift it off the floor to take steps, even with the ankle brace on.

I think we have come to a halt with movement now.  Exercises do not seem to do anything.  It is now 9 months on from his stroke.

He tries very hard bless him for an 86 year old. I will wish him Happy Birthday belatedly when he wakes.

Sorry not to answered your message sooner we had an emergency situation with the shower.  Got sorted at the weekend.

Best Wishes to you for your continued improvement.

Margaret

Hi Margaret,  I attend  a Spastiscity  Clinic  for Botox  injections  although unfortunately  the injections  are not regular enough to actually be  of any  benefit.  Hopefully  Len will have more success. Good luck with the chair assessment next week, hope you get the right chair that suits you both.

Take care

Regards 

Sue

Hi Margaret,

I am not sure if it will help but it's worth to explore all options available. When you attend the spasticity service ask about Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES). I discussed this option with my doctor unfortunately just before the lockdown. I intend to explore this further when this pandemic is under control. 

It might not be applicable to Len but there is never any harm in asking.  Tell him to keep trying to move that arm and that leg. 9 months is still a very short time when we are talking about stroke recovery. I am still working, and will continue working, on my leg to listen to my brain or my brain to start talking to my leg. 

Wishing you both the best. 

Ruby

Thanks Sue.  

Margaret

Hi Ruby

Thanks for your advice.

Margaret