Driving

Hello. I tried my first motorway trip the other day and it got gradually more terrifying. I seem to be ok on local roads, but for some reason the speed and intensity made me progressively nervous. This is a stroke symptom as I have driven without any problems (don’t listen to my wife :slight_smile: ) for 50 years. Generally, I’m more nervous and risk-averse. I’d appreciate any insight and comments. Thanks.

Hi Lleader
I fully understand your ability to drive short distances in town ect as I was too though I did once take the plunge into getting back to Motorway driving only 3 months ago driving 500+ miles to Edinburgh to from London I’ve always suffered fatigue when in town & local after say a1-2 hr drive & at speeds usually 20mph though at times 30-40 mph though I’m chancing a speeding ticket :joy:
So yeah this Motorway drive to Edinburgh too me 18 hrs in total resting at different service
stations on the way when I knew a stop was called for to rest and re-orientate myself . Driving at speeds of 70-80mph I felt I had to be more alert which indeed made me feel tired quicker so my hourly breaks helped in achieving my goal of driving to Edinburgh . Staying with friends for a week I did not feel at all anxious of my return trip to London knowing that I had rest stops & a whole day to get back down here … since that drive I’ve been able to recently attend an Air-show in farnborough & take friend out for lunch out of London . My level of concentration has I found relaxed somewhat where it’s not all brain induced power …
happy driving :red_car::red_car::red_car:

2 Likes

@LLeader well done on giving it a go. I still haven’t returned to driving yet but that’s mainly because I can’t lift my leg so can’t get it onto the clutch pedal. Search for automatic ongoing. I gave always found motorway driving stressful so post stroke there is minimal hope of me motorway driving. I got very stressed just as a passenger the other week.
I think we find loads of things more stressful after a stroke. Hopefully if you try it again it will be a little easier. :crossed_fingers:

Thank Lossy
That journey gave me a new lease of (can do) but not like I used to & has taken a long time to discipline myself into the understanding that the length of time in doing so many things I once took for granted is now done at a slower pace where rests & time out is important to recharging my own body to continue & my now pace & not get so upset/angry with not doing these task at a quicker/easier time . Not in anyway self taught as my friends/physio’s/Dr’s called me the 2mrw man as I wanted to do with the ease I once had … self-discipline is for me the key word & at times I separate myself from that word & have bouts of anger/depression even that has in months now de-escalated & now. Beginning to accept the yays/nays in my own abilities what with the head injury I now have . In calmer times my tremor is also easier to mange which perhaps is not all due to brain damage but psychological too . So yup I’m getting back to a more normalised plateaued (whatever normal is in this society)
:smiley::sunglasses::smiley:

3 Likes

I did a drive home from the Peak District, about 170 miles. Had four stops, previously would have been 1.

Early in my recovery (before driving) on the train brain got overloaded with all the visual information being processed when going through cuttings and trees at high spoed - had to close eyes and let it pass (not recommended for driving !!) Open county views were fine. It was the speed of info that I couldn’t cope with. Virtually back to normal now, just get lots of muscle tension in left shoulder/neck with a long drive. More coffee stops needed when we go out :rofl:

Perhaps motorways are similar with a much increased amount of visual information coning in at high speed overwhelming your senses?

1 Like

I haven’t dared drive yet but will probably stick to easier roads when/if I do. Interestingly my brother-in-law who hasn’t had a stroke but who has had mental and physical issues (how can you separate the two) since an RTA some years back has balance issues for which he is taking Prochlorperazine while they are investigated, finds both motorway driving and driving over bridges difficult. I think it is the amount of visual information that you have to take in and also exactly where in your view things are. Years ago when driving in inner city London I was fine until taken over by a double decker bus. I really didn’t like that at all.

Good for you for me OCD does not help with my anxious feeling before hand this comes and go with kind regards des

Hi @LLeader. I have been driving again for a couple of months, after an 11 month break, which has included some 70mph dual carriageways. I find I need to not overthink it. If my head fills with “what if” scenarios my concentration would be impaired. I am aware of really having to concentrate but as the lanes are wider and all going in the same direction I find it actually easier.
I have got a 100 mile trip coming up soon ( to my parents) which I have elected to drive for, but for this first time my husband will be there and he is insured to drive so there is no pressure to complete it. After reading the comments from @Jordan I think I will plan a stop halfway. Part of the reason for me getting a car is so I can get to my parents which I used to do without a second thought ( driving since I was 17, I’m 51) so if I can practice with him there the next step is on my own. I did have a driving lesson when I first got the car to help boost my confidence, is that something you could consider to concentrate on motorway driving? All the best, Julia

1 Like

@JuliaH hope your trip to your parents goes well. Stopping along the route sounds very sensible & should help a bit with any fatigue. xx

1 Like

Hi Julia. Thanks. Sounds like a very good plan. Cheers, Laurence

Thanks, Fiona. I’ll try to avoid even more meds unless I have to, as tempting as it is. I’ll keep it in mind though, as useful to know.

Hope it goes well with kind regards des

Hi Julia
Have a safe/enjoyable drive

:red_car::+1:t6::red_car: