Driving

Driving does anyone know what you have to go through after four weeks to start driving again. Is it down to OP or your GP or both thanks

You must not drive for one month.

then its up to you. I asked my GP but in fact i didnt need to refer to him. DVLA dont need to know and i suggest you do not get them involved. Your insurance company do not need to know.

so if you are fit and safe, off you go.

this surprised me at the time. I dont drive far because i get so tired it wouldnt be safe. But its all down to me.

colin

It depends how you are affected.if you have permanent disabilities you must report to the DVLA.you can reapply for your license later.

Hi des I asked my OT about driving and because I had double vision I can't drive again until I have written confirmation from the eye doctor who I see on the 21st June ...you don't have to let DVLA  only if you need modifications to your car ...my OT  said if I drove without confirmation and I was involved in a crash my insurance wouldn't cover me ...pippy ...

Hi - if your consultant said not to drive for one month after your stroke then, as long as you are happy in yourself to start driving again, you can do so.  My stroke consultant told me whatever I did, do not report it to DVLA as it would take up to a year to get my licence back! I got my GP's consent and I was raring to get back in my car.  It feels a little strange at first. I suggest that you drive round and round your local area to get used to the perception of speed from other drivers to start with and then move on from there.  Long journeys should be avoided in the early days if poss because of the fatigue that stroke brings on particularly when concentrating hard which obviously driving requires.  When you do progress to longer journeys, take frequent breaks to get fresh air and stretch your legs.  Your insurance don't need to know (I was told by mine) but they did mark it down on my records.  Also my premium didn't go up either which is good news.

Most of all enjoy your return to freedom and independence!

Thanks my OT and GP needs to pass me because as I care worker I take people out in my car but as my vision thinking and movement for driving seems to be fine it should be ok hope all is well

Thanks ?

I was advised to speak to my stroke team and GP and not to notify DVLA unless my stroke team or GP felt that I needed to. 
my physio was happy, stroke nurse carried out some cognitive tests, the results of which were sent to my GP. I had a face to face with my GP who was happy for me to drive. 
I called my insurance who said they didn't need to know but made a note of it. It hasn't impacted on my premium. 
it's a strange feeling driving again but was a massive positive for mental well-being. Just take it easy and know your limitations. 

I did advise DVLC which was a mistake as it took ages to get my license back and only after I had to take a driving assessment. Then I’m restricted to manual only. My advice don’t tell DVLC

My occ therapist told me to inform the dvla.i am waiting for an assessment driving test 14 months later.covid has slowed it down but still??!!sorry not much help but something to think about.good luck.wink

I had to wait 11 months before I felt I was in a position to try to drive again. I notified the outreach stroke team, who were about to restart their testing system post 1st lockdown. I passed their test notified DVLA , who advised me to speak to my GP - waited 3 weeks for the test results to get to my GP, who after a phone consultation was happy for me to resume driving. It was very strange the first couple of times, like being a new driver. I'm driving further all the time, just wary of getting too tired. 

I had to wait 11 months before I felt I was in a position to try to drive again. I notified the outreach stroke team, who were about to restart their testing system post 1st lockdown. I passed their test notified DVLA , who advised me to speak to my GP - waited 3 weeks for the test results to get to my GP, who after a phone consultation was happy for me to resume driving. It was very strange the first couple of times, like being a new driver. I'm driving further all the time, just wary of getting too tired. 

I had a 6 month wait after my stoke to regain my licence. I also took an assessment course. Lasted 3 hours (Driving), but tested me on my ability to drive, my driving, road awareness. Took over 4 hours in total, but gave me the confidence to "go it alone". 

I am only covered now to drive automatics, as my lesft leg is not strong enough for the clutch pedal. Hope you get on ok

I was told not to drive for 28 days post stroke, I did discuss this with the stroke team and my GP. The neuro team felt that driving shouldn't have been effected. I did inform my insurance at the time, thinking that they may withdraw or limit my insurance, but they said that it was down to the care team to advise if they felt I shouldn't drive, and if that would have been the case then my insurance would have been invalid. Luckily I was able to resume driving.

Hello,

My experience was...... I was given a leaflet about driving in hospital. After all my assessments by the multi disciplinary team I was told not to drive for a month and that I was to inform both my car insurance and the DVLA of this advice.

So I informed them, the DVLA's reaction was was one of nonchalance!  Basically not interested. Told me I didn't have to inform them!

My car insurance  asked several questions relating to what my doctor thought about me driving! And that I didn't actually have to inform them! Only if my doctor did not think I was fit to drive. Which at the time confused me since the hospital made sure it was very important and possibly illegal and invalidate my insurance if I didn't either way.

The actual driving was ok I was cautious at first only driving short distances like 10 minutes or so. I found manoeuvring the car into a space more challenging ( used to be a whizz at this in my big 4 X 4) I found turning my head at any rotation to give me pain in the beginning. I slowly increased my driving time and at first driving for 90 minutes gave me an awful awful headache and now depends on the traffic whether I get one or not at this distance. Often I need a rest either before or after one of these journeys, which I do regularly as my partner lives this distance away.

I've learned to go at my own pace even if it changes from week to week.

I was told to wait 28 days after the stroke before driving again which I think it standard advice. Even though physically I was capable of driving after that, I struggled with the mental exhaustion of keeping up with so many moving objects/being aware of everything around you. Definitely start off with small, slow journeys and get used to it again and have someone with you who can take over if needed!

Hello Des

My insurers told me that if my GP was ok for me to drive then it was ok for them.  I wasn't able to drive for 8 weeks which seemed an eternity. I was advised not to let DVLA know as it could take ages for my licence to return and I needed to drive for my work. Even after 5 years I still have to pay more attention to my left (affected) side when driving. My employers are ok for me to drive too. 

Sandie

My stroke completely immobilised my left side and although I was able to walk again with a stick after 8 weeks, my left arm/hand has never recovered.  But At 52 I was very motivated to keep driving and a great OT advised me to follow up with DVLA, my GP and with a Driving Assessment.  I then did all the remaining research myself, took an assessment in an automatic, with steering controls and within 5 minutes of driving I was up to 45mph - amazing!   Sorted out the forms for a revised Drivers Licence, then bought a second-hand automic Zafira, got the steering controls added at full price (too able for Motability) and regained a great deal of independence and confidence.  Within 3 months went on holiday to France and driving off the Eurotunnel at 1am in the dark with the family asleep in the back, had tears of joy and relief rolling down my cheeks.  Been driving for 7 years now.  Never give up!

my understanding is that its mandatory not to drive for 28days after a stroke which is sensible and entirely understandable.I believe after this time or prior to the 28days you have two options.  The first and easiest is to get a letter from your consultant to verify that your fit to drive and send it to the DVLA The second is to take a special driving test at an approved centre at a cost of £90 and again send the certificate to the DVLA.  I did not consult my GP.

Hope this is helpfull.

my understanding is that its mandatory not to drive for 28days after a stroke which is sensible and entirely understandable.I believe after this time or prior to the 28days you have two options.  The first and easiest is to get a letter from your consultant to verify that your fit to drive and send it to the DVLA The second is to take a special driving test at an approved centre at a cost of £90 and again send the certificate to the DVLA.  I did not consult my GP.

Hope this is helpfull.