Driving assessment

Just a note to say I went for a driving assessment at North East Drive Mobility at Walkergate Hospital in Newcastle today which deals with neuro rehab. I self referred there. It is free through the NHS. I was not optimistic about returning to driving mainly due to my vision ( double vision due to third nerve palsy) but also lack of confidence due to the crash which resulted in my stroke (not my fault, hit by a car that had broken a red light travelling 90-120mph in a 30 zone). Had pretty much written driving off. Suggested to me that I contact the above and I got a late cancellation. They were excellent. No pressure to do anything, supportive, reassuring. Had some cognitive tests, checked I could read a number plate from a distance, checked my license and got me on an off road track. This was the first time behind a wheel in almost 11 months since my accident and resulting stroke. I felt ok, and we then went out on the road. Did the full assessment and they have said I am safe to drive as long as I patch my affected eye to prevent double vision. They will provide me with a report that I need to send on to DVLA and declare that I have done that to insurance. Managed a manual car but they have automatics available and didn’t need any adaptations. Need to process this change in fortunes before planning the next stage. Could think about buying a car but dread to think what the insurance would be given no liability admitted by the other side yet as the coroners inquest will not take place until October, and I have had a stroke/ brain injury with vision affected. Independence is beckoning and it is so tempting.
Just wanted to let people know this service exists as I had a very positive experience with it. Julia

@JuliaH wow Julia that’s amazing and well done in your determination to drive again. Great accomplishment, I have only drove about 6 times I’m happy to be driven about. I think I’ve lost some of my confidence.

Thanks for sharing as it’s encouraging for us all :heart_eyes:best wishes Loraine

1 Like

Fantastic news Julia, woohoo good for you and thanks for sharing the info about the service

1 Like

That’s good news @JuliaH , Hopefully it will give you confidence & independence.
I drive but not asuch as before (hybrid so automatic thankfully) and definitely find the extra concentration post stroke makes me tired.
I used to be a very confident driver and it was completely natural and without thinking but now post stroke it’s like everything else, walking, eating etc. requires much more concentration.
It sounds like a horrible experience you had with the crash but I hope you will be able to get back on the road again.
Good luck.
Mark

1 Like

@JuliaH that sounds really positive. Glad it went well for you. Another step on the independence ladder. :grin::grin:

1 Like

Well done in passing the driving assessment think about driving an automatic I’ve always driving a manual been advised to switch to automatic after having 4 tia had a weak leg before tia my legs go into a spasm without warning has happened while driving test drive an automatic car looking into getting one but have to have a small car found it easier to drive compared to a maual

Thanks @Gillian_21. Open minded about manual v automatic, always had a manual but have driven an automatic. Still probably a long way off but at least an option now, Julia x

1 Like