Driving assessment

I’ve finally managed to arrange my appointment for my DVLA medical assessment. It has caused me some stress as GP took letter off me and said they’d get back to me but didn’t. After much chasing I finally spoke to my GP today and she has booked me in for Monday. Then it’s just waiting to hear from DVLA and who knows how long that will take :thinking::thinking:. Am feeling less stressed now I have appointment arranged though as was getting very close to DVLA 6 week deadline to attend appointment.

I know what you mean about concentrating more, it feels as though I’m a learner again. I think I’m using a different part of my brain to drive now. Since passing the assessment I have been out in our car a few times my wife comes with me but find her feet paddling in the footwell😳I guess practice makes perfect . Keep going I’m sure it will improve sending positive vibes .

I abstained from this route as I knew the delay and difficulty it would cause. I couldn’t take the stress. When the stroke team advised the QEF I decided to not try to drive until I felt able to do the assessment. I’m still waiting for my report which will have to be sent to the DVLA so not out of woods yet. Good luck with the assessment.

Thank you. I didn’t get an option to abstain from this route. Was it something you requested? I had to have a sight assessment as my stroke affected my vision and then the DVLA insisted I have a medical examination too. It has been very stressful trying to sort it & definitely something I’d have liked to have avoided. Fingers crossed DVLA are happy with your report.

Hi sorry I think I’ve mislead you. My sight wasn’t affected so I didn’t have to have an assessment for driving. It was totally my choice not to inform DVLA as driving wasn’t an issue or even on my radar for at least seven months after the stroke. The DVLA will get a copy of my QEF assessment and hopefully will support my onward driving. At present I am accompanied always with my wife and drive my own car its still very much a challenge . I feel I should still have learner plates on. Practice makes perfect good luck with everything

Thank you. Have my fingers crossed the DVLA support your continued driving. It sounds like they will from what you’ve said. I am nervous about what DVLA are going to say about me driving as I need my car for my independence. We have no public transport where I live. I’m sure your driving is going better than you think and in time you’ll be completely confident in yourself again. Best wishes

It took me three years before my doctor OKed me to try for my licence again. In this time my wife had swapped our manual car for an automatic so I had a new system to contend with. The examiner was very considerate and before getting in the car we had a chat about my ability to handle things. He accepted that I was not familiar with the blinker/ washer stick and may make mistakes and that I had trouble looking over my right shoulder and my right foot was sluggish.
The road test was thorough, reasonably demanding and twice I washed the windscreen when indicating a turn. but I was given the OK.
I live in New Zealand and possibly things are a bit different here. Being over 80 My licence has to be renewed every two years and now at 92 this has happened twice. My doctors clearance was all that I needed.
Deigh

1 Like

Hi all. Quite a late reply to this post. I had my stroke 3 years ago and was driving again after 6 months. I have teenagers with lots of activities and we live rurally so getting my independence back was important to me. I have been left with right side weakness so had to have an adapted car and have a restricted licence now. (My right arm no longer fully functions and my leg not strong enough) Because I can walk more than the minimum I don’t qualify for Motability so we had to investigate everything and fund ourself. The team at the driving assessment were fab and when I finally got my adapted car it was the best feeling. Anyone thinking of it, persevere. There are loads of people to help. Has anyone challenged a Motobility Decision? As I have to drive an adapted car I’m still surprised I didn’t qualify and thinking of re applying. Any advice?

@DorisRose I am still waiting to hear from DVLA whether I can drive or not so have no experience of the notability piece but I wonder whether it is worth you speaking to Citizens Advice as they often help people with appeals for benefits etc and I see this as something similar.

@Mrs5K thanks for replying. I haven’t tried that so will look into. Hope you have positive news soon on your licence. As I said it had helped me so much to have my car. Good luck

1 Like

I had to wait six months before I could drive. Think it was the longest six months in my life. Thank god for my neighbours as my daughter lives some distance from me. I was itching to get back driving and as this was through lockdown I just had a conversation over the phone with my gp who was happy to pass me as fit to drive and I had to notify DVLA. Great to get back behind the wheel even though I won’t be doing any long journeys now. An hour in one go to visit my daughter is far enough

@janella69 I have had my medical assessment & eye test as requested by DVLA but they are taking an age to make decisions at the moment. I am coming into month 5 now so hope to hear from them soon. I’m not sure I want to drive at min as still getting fuzzy heads & struggle with concentration & not got strength back in my left leg yet so not sure I could press clutch either :grin: Im hoping they say I can drive though so when I’m ready I can hop in the car & go. Its the independence I miss.

Dear Ann, If you are getting no reply from DVLA use your MP, they are online so can respond very quickly,
don’t be surprised if DVLA asks you to go for a driving assessment to see if you need adaptions, I was lucky that there is an assessment center close to me so it was straightforward, I have used my MP and DVLA responded within a week (very quick for them.)

GOOD LUCK

John

Thank you John @bigjay57 it comes to something when you have to get your MP involved doesn’t it. I will definitely do that though if I get nowhere. I am really hoping they don’t want me to go for a driving assessment but I am half expecting it so hopefully won’t be too much of a surprise if it happens. :grin:

Well I finally heard from DVLA & I am able to retain my driving licence and I don’t need to attend a driving assessment. Now I just need to be physically fit to drive my car then I can get some of my independence back. At least it is now in my hands :partying_face:

1 Like

I had my stroke at the end of December, in Scotland, fully documented and sent to Blackpool, victoria hospital, seems that Scotland and
England don’t liaise with each other, haven’t driven since then, I’ve tried to tell DVLA but no answer, not managed it yet. I feel well enough but not seen any Doctors about it yet, clinics not running in Blackpool, am on the new patients list have a telephone appointment for June. Can my GP give me an all clear for driving, if I get the all clear from my GP do I need to tell my motor insurance and DVLA? I intend to get an assessment before I drive.

Allan

@Allan_4389 i think it will depend on the impact the stroke had on you, I had visual disturbances so I was told I couldn’t drive for at least 3 months and had to be cleared by DVLA before I could drive again. I notified them online and they progressed their checks from there. It’s possible the GP could clear you to drive but will very much depend on what your stroke consultant said. My discharge letter had the driving info on. I rang my insurance company to tell them about my stroke and they didn’t want to know, which surprised me. Other companies might want to be told. Check your policy. Have a look at this link. It gives details on driving after stroke.

If you are in any doubt you should speak to your GP.

Hope this is helpful.
Regards
Ann

Hi there

Yes it does help, I haven’t seen a consultant yet, I had a telephone consultation early March but that was canceled because of covid, not mine, but because the clinics were all cancelled so I have made an appointment with my gp to ask if I can drive. My wife is concerned about my reaction time. No problem with my eyes so my optician says.
So thanks, hope all goes well with you. Thanks for responding Allan

1 Like

That’s great news, pleased for you. Enjoy the driving. :blush: My PIP has just come up for re assessment so hopefully this time they’ll recognise my arm is not recovering and will support me with motability- fingers crossed

1 Like