Don't understand why I've had a stroke

Hi very new to all this only had my stroke last Friday 29.4.22 I’m 46 married for 23 years this year ,run my own ironing service business and have two beautiful daughters and a 18 week old grandson ,I know alot already.
So last Friday was the worst day ever didn’t feel right in the the morning goggled my symptoms didn’t think it would be ,following going to bed to sleep waking up with left side unable to move all I can describe it was strong magnetic feeling pulling me down spent the whole bank Holiday weekend then I came home feeling nervous as I don’t understand what, why .
Any help would be great
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Shep. Welcome to our forum. Few of us know why we had our strokes, but there is always a medical reason. Perhaps your gp can explain it to you in more detail. Youth is still on your side so you should make a good recovery.

1 Like

So sorry to hear about your stroke its frightening does5 matter if you young or old the best thing you can do slow down a d come on this site you get good tips and encouragement on your recovery journey

1 Like

@Shep48 welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you’ve had a stroke & that you’ve been left feeling a bit confused. Sometimes there are no answers but I would hope they’ve done / are going to do some tests to check you over. Do you have a follow up appointment? You could always write down some questions & phone the stroke nurse to see if they can provide some answers. Your GP may be able to help too.
Above all be kind to yourself. Don’t overdo things & slowly but surely you’ll recover.
Good luck xxx

Hi all thanks for your help and advice on this just feeling a bit unsettled at the moment

@Shep48 you will be but that’s very normal. It will settle in time especially as you get more answers to your questions.

Reach out to us all at any time. No question is a silly one. Or just rant if you need to xxx

Hi Shep -welcome to the club that no one really wants to join. When I had my stroke almost 4 years ago, they told me at the hospital that as soon as I got home I should make 3 appointments right away: one to my GP, one to a cardiologist, and one to a neurologist. I was a good girl and did that. Boy --am I glad I did. The cardiologist had me wear a heart monitor for a day and he picked up afib (which had caused the stroke.) He said afib is responsible for causing 20-30% of strokes. I had been totally unaware I even had afib. I was put on meds right away for that, and I feel much better knowing I am taking steps to prevent another stroke. I think it’s important to pursue the possible cause. It will bring you peace of mind. One thing to remember is that the brain heals and rewires itself–that no matter how you feel right now, with time you will feel better. Best wishes :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

Hi and welcome to the site. We are probably the only people qualified to answer questions about living with the after effects of stroke.
Your hospital should be setting in place several tests for you to under-go to see whether they can determine the cause of your stroke and you will probably need to take some blood-thinning medication.
Sometimes (as with me) there is no apparent cause, which is worrying, but I’m still here 8 years on, so, with medication and a healthy lifestyle, things get back to some sort of normality.

1 Like

Shwmae @Shep48, some strokes remain cryptogenic because they might be caused by trauma or there might be an as yet underlying reason. There are some rare causes of stroke. The hospital will probably run as many tests as they can. I had a lot of the usual suspects ruled out and eventually it was determined that the one I had was most likely caused by a small tear that healed, and as it was healing clotted various areas. In other words, trauma. At your age, they will check for a PFO. I had a bubble-study echocardiogram, but my PFO had closed up. It’s upsetting not knowing what the cause may be, and if it remains cryptogenic, they treat on symptoms only. It’s very early on since you’ve had a stroke, so there’s lots to unravel, I hope we can be of help to you on your rebuilding journey.

There sometimes is no rhyme or reason with some people.
When I was in the stroke ward after mine, there were 2 younger guys, I would say in their mid 30’s, both of athletic build (so not obese or overweight or obvious candidates for vascular problems. They both looked worse than me, needing more help to do things.

I found it easier to try and concentrate on recovery rather than looking back at why it happened.
I think that will drive you round the twist. (It did me)

Hi I am 53, fit for my age and suffered a stroke 4 weeks ago.

It is the shock you describe and also no answers or forward guidance.

My anxiety is still very high but I have shared a lot on the forum and this has really helped me.

I have been left with a weak left hand. My daily exercises (self imposed) have really helped and my strength is back up to around 90% :blush:

I am focusing now on my mental health. I am going to take a couple of months off work (lucky enough that I can do that) and go back to this I used to enjoy, fishing etc

Good luck on your journey, use the forum :blush:

Graham

2 Likes

Very smart to take some vacation time. Keep up with the exercises. That’s the magic that heals stroke symptoms–since the brain rewires and heals with repetition. Good luck. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:

1 Like

Hi to you
I can appreciate how you feel. I had an out-of-the-blue stroke on the 22nd Feb, despite going to doctors re feeling less than well, with suspected atrial fibrillation. (Had catered for 10 staying a fortnight over Xmas and was conscious at 75yrs of pushing myself.) The hospital medics were ace and I’m 90% recovered but tackle tasks more slowly.
What I’ve learned: you are in charge of researching your condition (American sites v good) and of monitoring your health, reviews etc. Don’t rely on docs. You need a 6-week review after stroke of your condition, meds etc. Request info/scans etc from hospital be sent to docs (not automatic). Perhaps a good idea is to make notes before doctor’s appt and list responses. (I’ve waited until all my test results have been received and now will have the review, which I booked well in advance: I’ll give the doctor a printed sheet of my concerns and note responses on a duplicate.)
Read discharge notes carefully, check cholesterol level - surgeries accept 5.? but consultants say this should be 4. Check any side effects of drugs with pharmacy and report them. Do specific exercises to counteract any weakness and for general health. Everyone has their own timeline for improvement so listen to your body.
Do hope this is a bit helpful.
I think the shock takes time to absorb as well as accepting adjustments that have to be made. I think I’m like my old car: have rusty bits and a few dents but still running!
Good luck
Magga

Thank you for replying back to me good to read different people replyies

Hi thank you for replying back its nice to read other people’s veiw