Dizziness

Hello everyone,

I am new to this, had a stroke in July 2020, in the cerebellum, 33 years old, have a PFO.

First 8 months recovery was good however last 2 months or so I am getting on and off dizziness ( like on a boat). Should I be worried?

Everyone has dizziness it may be  an attack of vertigo or an inner ear problem try not to panic just check with your GP  for reassurance hope this helps

Morning, had mine in March, iv recently started getting the same on the last week. Was a bit worried to start but doctor us since reassured me.

hope all is ok 

I had the same kind of stroke as you, cerebellar stroke. I am 45. They checked for a PFO but I didn't have one, so my cause is still unknown. As you know, the cerebellum is responsible for equilibrium (balance/coordination etc) and vertigo is a common symptom of cerebellar stroke, before and after the stroke. After nine months, my "dizziness" has degrees of intensity at different times, even with my eyes shut. Sometimes, if fatigued it gets quite bad, sometimes my eye exercises help, sometimes not. Just remember that after the first six months, neuroplasticity slows down and recovery progress slows down, so in my experience it was after the first six months that my symptoms became more acute but less frequent.

There is a primitive test us cerebellar stroke survivors can use to check we aren't having a TIA - touch nose with finger of one hand and then quickly touch finger of other hand, palm slaps, and in supine position trace heel of one foot up the opposite shin. This routine reassures me if I am feeling particularly wobbly and woozy. My stroke consultant taught this to me, and he uses it when I have a consultation with him, if I am feeling anxious.

Here is a link on youtube showing the test I described above: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ii_lFmd7hw

I just need to add, that I assume you have had the hole closed now? If not, and you are having acute changes, I would contact your GP or your stroke consultant. I was initially diagnosed with BPPV (vertigo) and it turned out I had about six TIAs over a period of three months. Even the paramedics thought I had BPPV, and even at the hospital! Because, cerebellar stroke symptoms are so similar, but I still am baffled how they didn't consider the fact that I couldn't walk properly and was throwing my guts up as a sign it was more than just BPPV vertigo.

Morning,

Think this is what I had, still not seen a stroke to go through things yet and to what caused it.

My vein at the back of my neck snapped causing a blockage, which affected similar things to yours. 

Hope all is good with you 

Could be, the cerebellum is right at the back top of the neck, it is also called the Little Brain. It can be caused by trauma or from other things like the PFO (hole in the heart). I suspect mine was caused by a massive blood clot I had in my arm at the time, but that's my theory, they haven't found an official cause yet. Cerebellar stroke usually affects younger people, and it is rare, only about 2% of all stroke cases but has twice the mortality rate than a regular stroke, so we are lucky to be alive. Hope you are going well with your recovery, when did you have that one?

Sounds the same then as the doctor whist in hospital said I was lucky to be alive, and the fact I’m alive I shouldn’t be able to walk and talk but guess il find out the name soon. Had mine March 17th this year so very new. Going ok still can’t drive and my vision has been effected. Getting used to that now it’s just the fatigue and the headaches which are a nightmare. And the things I do incorrect when getting dressed or using the kitchen but I have now learned to laugh at that rather than get frustrated 

Plus whist in hospital the doctor was asking if I had been to the gym or played football ect as that is the general cause. Even asked if I’d been playing golf 

Yes, you are right. Andrew Marr had a cerebellar stroke from rowing too hard on his rowing machine, but his was a dissection. Cerebellar strokes are also commonly caused from a visit to the chiropractor, masseuse and hairdresser. There was a case of a young boy (eighteen) who had a cerebellar infarct caused by a clot that he got carrying heavy suitcases up some railway stairs. 

Thank you for your comments and reassurance.

I hope the dizziness goes away.

With regards to the PFO I am due to have it closed, I hope this will help reduce the worry/anxiety. I am due to have an MRI also.

Best of luck.

Hello,

Yes this an ongoing process, the anxiety that something is wrong makes it worse.

Best of luck with recovery.

Yes, my vision is troubled also. I also laugh it off now when I am uncordinated or if I move suddenly and get a dizzy rush, I go 'whoa that was an intense one', rather than feel anxious about it. Our vision issues are called proprioception, and they include nystagmus, stereopsis (unable to judge distance), blurred vision, double-vision etc. I do eye exercises and they make me horribly woozy afterwards, I am going through a patch of unpleasant nausea at the moment. Fatigue is awful as it makes the symptoms so much worse. I'm fortunate on the headache front, I get very mild ones, but my dizziness is the worst. You sound like you are doing well, I am making slow progress, slower than most people I know with the same stroke but I am also quite neurotic, so anxiety held me back after about six months. I am now on meds to rectify that.

Hi,

Thanks for your message, waiting for an MRI.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Good, you ought to have it closed, and your worry is genuine if you still have it open. We are typically not out of the woods until a year after the stroke, the first three months being the critical stage. Anti-platelet meds will help. I too am due for another MRI of my head and neck, to reassure me no new nasties have turned up.

Can't say about the dizziness as I still have it but like you, I hope it goes away or at least reduces enough to live life without having it so prominently part of my every waking moment.

Yes the dizziness is the main symptom that is holding me back otherwise managing ok.

Need to fight this for my family.

Take care.

Glad to see your recovering even if it’s slightly slower. Iv tried pushing myself being an ex semi pro footballer so it’s the way Iv always been. Do struggle tho as I can’t do the things I used too but it’s stillearly days so fingers crossed things will improve over the coming months 

I know a few chaps with hardier backgrounds like ex-military, ex-police who do very well with recovery, and I am sure your football (Rugby?) background will serve you well. I'm an author so not as physically robust, but I also farm (keep pigs and bees), manage an orchard and cycle, so am relatively fit but haven't had that mental resilience folks like yourself have trained up playing a competitive sport. Where I come from, people play Aussie Rules, or sometimes referred to as aerial ping-pong! I was never good at it because I am sadly not competitive at all. Unless, it is chess, but even then I admit defeat graciously. :)

All the best with your MRI