Dizziness

I'm feeling much better now  Thank You. 

That's good to hear.  One more step towards ending lockdown YAY!

There's some discussion about medication and when you take it. I was prescribed clopidogrel by the hospital and started taking it four days after I was discharged- I take it just before I eat my breakfast. I also take rosuvastatin in the evenings immediately before bed. 
I have recently started having very unpleasant vertigo episodes when I'm lying on my right side in bed - my brain insists that I'm falling off the edge of a high cliff and the whole room spins. Sometimes it happens several times in a row. I spoke to a doctor yesterday and she said she thought it was BPV and has prescribed medication to help. I haven't got it yet so don't know what it is but I really hope it works. 
Anybody else with similar problems and/or does anybody think that my existing medication might be causing it ? 

Hi Pam I'm also on clopigergel and atorvastatin I've been suffering with chronic reflux since last week he wants me to carry on taking it for another 2 weeks to see if my body adjusts to it ,he also prescribed lanzoprolo for the gastric yesterday but reading the side effects they can cause all sorts of problems ...pippy 

Good day all, my first foray to the forum as a 3 months post stroke prescribed atorvastatin 80mg and clopidogrel 75mg plus mirtazapine 15mg for anxiety issues. I have constant daily dizziness starting when I get up whereby I feel slightly drunk and as if walking with flippers. This builds up during the morning, maxing out at about 1.30 pm and eases off to almost unnoticeable by 7pm. I take stroke meds about 8.30pm and mirtazapine immediately before sleep.
At doc’s suggestion I paused statins for 2 weeks but no let up and am currently doing same for clopidogrel but no change yet after 6 days.
Just wondering if any similar experience out there, ie a constant dizziness pattern rather than spells?

2 Likes

Hello @Jamesp :wave::hugs:
There’s no detail in your profile yet but I wondered whether “good day” indicated that you are an Aussie?
:slight_smile:

You’ve replied to a thread that has been dormant for 3 years!! :slight_smile: that might be a record

There’s a post that we put together to help new arrivals It’s here click the text in blue Welcome - what we wish we'd heard at the start

That’s a pretty normal collection of meds you’re on I’m on the same statin - which I halved to 40 mg cos my GP said I shouldn’t stop it but couldn’t justify 80. I’m also on the cloppydog 75 and I also take candesartan 16mg - They’re mostly a knee jerk reaction by the medical folk probably pushed by the drug companies. Certainly the statins are hotly debated as to whether or not there’s a conspiracy :-)!

If a 3-year-old post doesn’t mask the fact that you’re saying hello for the first time then they’ll probably be a succession of folks passing by to say hi. Certainly read around the posts use the search that’s mentioned in the welcome post and comment and like other people’s posts and you’ll get promoted through the levels that unlock other software facilities and bring your support contributions and support needs into everybody else’s consciousness

Good luck on your journey
Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Hi @Jamesp and welcome to the forum not matter the age of the post you manage to come in on, it’s all relevant :smile:

The symptoms you describe could just be the stroke effect (as I call it) and it affects your balance. There are many on here who have experienced the same themselves, including myself. This did wear off over the first year post stroke for me but I can’t honestly remember exactly how long it took but I’m nearly 2yrs post stroke and don’t have that anymore.
But it is the same way for my speech and foot drop; they are at the their worst in the mornings but almost normal by afternoon/evening…go figure :smirk:

1 Like

Thank you for your helpful and encouraging response. Truth be told I was beginning to come to that conclusion; time the great healer, eh? Also, the less I fret about it, the less intrusive it seems.
May I wish you a less dramatic Christmas this year?

2 Likes

Now you are on the right track :smile:
You are 3months post stroke, are there any other issues with vision, hearing, cognition or mobility issues?

If there isn’t, you could start some exercise routines to help with your balance issues. Here’s a YouTube link to a woman called Elyse Newland who is popular with many on here for her stroke rehabilitation therapy you might find useful :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/@PostStrokeOrg/search?query=Balance

1 Like

Thank you for your comments and the link. Apparently I had 3 TIAs, though through good fortune and as I was at a reasonable level of fitness, the physical side effects have been, compared to most, minimal. My current excercise routine is aimed at attempting to regaining lost strength and endurance rather than reducing spasticity. As a result of this I suffer minor inconvenience from stiff thigh, ankle and foot muscles. I have also had to address anxiety issues but have found both one to one therapy and the nhs modular online talk therapy most beneficial to the point where I feel the worst is certainly past.
My vision is not quite as was but a hospital test this Thursday will ascertain the future or otherwise of my driving license.
Thus my only outstanding issues are fatigue, lack of energy, lowered strength levels and dizziness plus a slight increase in my tinnitus. All in all I would think that I got off fairly lightly and hope that my current regime will eventually lead me back to the golf course. :crossed_fingers::pray::golf:

2 Likes

That is all excellent news James, you did even better than me and I feel I got off lightly too compared to many on here.

You do apparently lose a lot of muscle mass post stroke. In my first months post stroke I hadn’t the strength to even push a hoover around :sweat_smile: We all suffer with the fatigue in the beginning too. For some, like myself, it waned after several months but it still likes to rear its ornery head from time to time. I’ve had tinnitus most my life and yes, it did get a bit louder after the stroke. But then it always has during any kind of illness, and it goes back to normal when I’m better…which it did also on this occasion. I think it will ease up as the dizziness and balance return to normal. It’s going to take you 6mths to a year to get back to some semblance of normal.

I gave up my driving license after my stroke as it was due up for renewal anyway and no one was going anywhere during the lockdowns anyway :laughing: I got it back a year later but it was still a couple of months before I felt able to get back behind a wheel. Now I’m driving everywhere…locally, I leave the long distance to my hubby :blush: But it has been very useful for getting to the gym, I also go to a strength & balance class run by AgeUK as well as a rambling group once a week. Which has all helped improved my strength and endurance. And you will get there too I’m sure of it :smile: Onwards and upwards :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your encouraging comments and helpful advise.
As my p.e instructor was fond of saying - its mind over matter - I don’t mind and you don’t matter. Very droll .

2 Likes