Diet and Lifestyle after stroke

Hello, I was fit and healthy prior to my stroke (14 months ago) I  had no information about diet. I have put on weight since leaving hospital. I was a regular gym goer but haven't been back since my stroke (I had it whilst on the exercise bike). I'm  worried about my weight gain and lack of fitness but haven't been given any advice. I know I need to loose weight but can't find the motivation.

Like so many others I had no 'warning' re my stroke which happened in April and was initially thought to be a TIA but symptoms persisted.  I was fit, active, a non-smoker, not overweight and not on any medication.  I am 79 and understand that risk increases with age.  I have not received advice re diet but don't think it relevant in my stroke.  Good on-line support and telephone contact. Just after Christmas I had my one and only brief experience of vertigo and my blood pressure was very high.  It was monitored and I had blood tests but no action necessary.  My cholesterol was 6.9.  At the time of my stroke it was 7 and action was deemed necessary!

I had my stroke in October 2018; in July I had been told my blood pressure was high and I was obese and pre-diabetic and I should go on a course for the pre-diabetes. The dates and times of the course were not convenient for my job as a school bus driver so I did not attend. It was not made clear that I was putting my health at risk. The stroke came as a nasty shock as I had my PCV and HGV driving licences revoked by DVLA; I had been a coach and truck driver for over 30 years and when I first stared driving it was very unusual to have females in the role. I had always felt rather smug to be doing "as mans job".I have been very lucky to have recovered as well as I have but I put this down to the fact that I finally attended a Diabetic Prevention Course and have managed to loose 2 stone over 12 months (lockdown is not helping as I cannot always get sufficient fresh produce when I need it ).

The basis to the course was weekly meetings with a weigh-in and then a lecture about different foods. The main thing being made aware of how much too large our portions are and that by adapting the type of vegetables we ate how we could keep the carboydrates and sugars to a much lower level. So I found by omitting bread, pasta, rice, flour from my diet and substituting extra vegetables I could loose the excess fat. A piece of meat the size of your palm, a piece of fish the size of your hand and a bit of cheese the size of a matchbox were to be aimed at.We were issued a Handbook called X-Pert Diabetes Prevention and Management www.xperthealth.org.uk have the details.The 2:5 diet is very similar but it is the carbs which make the real difference. I do have lapses- one slice of cake at sewing class and chips once a month! 

I still worry I might have another stroke as I am not exercising as  much as I should but this is more to do with a left knee replacement in January this year on a leg damaged in a road accident 40 years ago and also affected by the stroke and where does one go in lockdown? 

Sorry I got carried away there, but it is interesting to hear other peoples views. Life is very frustrating but keep optomistic and be happy. 

Dear Heather

I found your post interesting and informative. I am a little overweight, just a few pounds, and I would like to get more fit. But getting anyone to suggest just what diet is necessary is a hopeless task. I need to edge a few meals to less fattening. At last I can look at xpert and get some ideas. Thank you.

Stroke is grossly under funded and a real cinderella. I hadnt a clue what a stroke was, even when it got me. So high BP, overweight etc didnt mean a great deal. I fully grasp your  thoughts that you should have been sensibly advised of the consequences. In particular as you hold a PCV and HGV. 

Stroke can get at anyone, any age. The idea that its elderlies only is a complete fallacy. 

I am so pleased you are making a decent recovery. If you can get back to some exercise then that would be a bonus. But your knee will have to take precedence ofor the time being.

I have noted that those of us who get decent recovery were fit before stroke. 

Good luck with your continuimg recovery and, when the time comes, with your applications to get your licences back.

Best wishes

Colin

Hi Heather Mary, agree with Colin's comments, and enjoyed reading your story.  I will also have a look at the X-Pert Diabetes Prevention, because although I'm not overweight, I know I could make improvements!!  

Thanks for your post, and welcome to this forum.

Take good care, keep smiling, Nic xx

I had a tia 3 weeks ago, on edge all the time. Have you had any other incidents since your tia? 

Thanks for sharing your experience Kate, and I'm sorry it hasn't been a positive experience in terms of getting the information that you need and want. I don't have all the answers - at this stage I'm trying to form a picture of what help and information people have or haven't had, but if I or others on this forum can help you in any way please do reach out.

Thanks for your reply Heather, it sounds like you got some really great support through your Diabetic Prevention Course. Staying active during lockdown is certainly more of a challenge - have you seen the resources the Stroke Association have developed to help people stay active at home?

https://www.stroke.org.uk/finding-support/staying-active-when-staying-home

You may find the following pages helpful:

https://www.stroke.org.uk/effects-of-stroke/physical-effects-of-stroke/sensory-problems

https://www.stroke.org.uk/sites/default/files/user_profile/rare_effects_of_stroke.pdf (scroll down to page 4)

Thankyou for taking the time and interest to do this - moving forward are there any plans in the pipeline to address these issues?

Thank you 

Hi Hannah, I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage in April last year.

1. I was prescribed tablets for high blood pressure about a month before my hemorrhage,my doctor didn't look in to why I suddenly had high blood pressure nor asked me to come back to have my blood pressure checked, I had been taking HRT for a couple of years prior to this but it was never discussed.

2 No diabetes

3 No information given

4 Apparently I was told in hospital that I was no longer allowed to vape - I had previously smoked then stopped 4 years ago and started vaping instead.

5 Given no info,had an OT visit twice but as I am able to dress myself and make a cup of tea she didn't need to visit again. OT called a few weeks later to advise that we now had a stroke nurse in our area and would pass on my details but then received another call a few days later from OT to say that the stroke nurse advised as I hadn't suffered a stroke there was no point in visiting me.

6 10 very important

Katy

Hi Heather, I am diabetic with high blood pressure. I had a main stroke four years ago. I have not been overweight but now have a diet of one day fish, one day meat and one day vegetarian. I am on insulin and so able to cope with a slice of cake if I up my dosage.

My diabetic nurse recommended this illustrated book which covers virtually everything. I also recommend Joe Wicks' YouTube videos with exercises for seniors. These include seated exercises. I wish you well

Healthandwellbeing;Ihadministroke4yrsago leftperiferelvisionproblem plus                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              dryeyeblrpharitis theonly treatment hasbeen artificialtears whichare a waste of time ai suppose ai have been lucky butit hasmade a messof my life and neurologists are not interested which\ifind annoyingFrankHoyle Leeds