Diet after stroke

Hi all, I am nearly  5 years post stroke.   I have never been  over weight  and when I was finally discharged  from hospital  after 5 months,  I had lost over a stone and was far to thin. However,  although we are quite  healthy  eaters, I'm  now  finding  my weight  going slowly  up in the  wrong direction.  Weather  permitting, we go out walking  most days and with my husband's help  I do as much exercise  as I can. Does anyone  have any tips for keeping  weight  down, I would appreciate any tips and advice. 

Regards Sue 

Hi all, I am nearly  5 years post stroke.   I have never been  over weight  and when I was finally discharged  from hospital  after 5 months,  I had lost over a stone and was far to thin. However,  although we are quite  healthy  eaters, I'm  now  finding  my weight  going slowly  up in the  wrong direction.  Weather  permitting, we go out walking  most days and with my husband's help  I do as much exercise  as I can. Does anyone  have any tips for keeping  weight  down, I would appreciate any tips and advice. 

Regards Sue 

Hi Sue you seem to be doing all the right things. We eat healthily as well but the occasional cakeand pudding is indulged and I gained a bit of weight I think it is inevitable after a stroke as I have to sit down a lot in between doin g jobs round  the house and I cant do a lot my poor husband has to do most of the work. Do you walk far I go a walk in the afternoon down a lane but not veryfar. Keep the good work up and dont worry as long as you feel ok all is well. N orma.

Hi Norma, thanks  your reply. I don't  walk far, just along our road, then cross over and back home. I normally  walk for about 20mins and then later around the largeTesco Super store. 

Like you, my husband  does most of the household chores, which makes me feel really  guilty. My tasks consist  of emptying and reloading  the dishwasher and making a cup of tea.

I did everything  before my stroke, washing, ironing, cooking and cleaning, all for 5 adults and I worked  part-time. I often  moaned  and groaned  but I would give anything to be  doing all of that for everyone  now.

Be careful  what you wish for !

Regards Sue 

Hi Sue

I had my stroke in April this year (6 months ago) I lost a lot of weight in hospital and have put it all back on again. I have gone back to Slimming world- partly for the social contact and partly to get back into better eating habits. I like it because its more about being healthy than losing weight.

Norma is right though, you don't need slimming groups, get a bit of walking each day. The odd bit of cake won't hurt. Plenty of veg and fruit and you will be fine.

My weakness is cheese! One look at a piece of cheese.....I can't resist it.

Fiona

I also have gained weight gone from 9 stone to 11.5 stone and have now high blood pressure and now put on a Statin also Xencil 3 times a day