Diabetic

Pre diabetic, to add to my not very healthy existence I am on the verge of being diagnosed as pre diabetic, so of all the things I’ve been unable to do I now can’t eat what I like any more, the gift that keeps on giving, really fed up.

Feeling so sad nothings going right now for my future even good is made harder

2 Likes

That’s not good news mrfrederickson but at least it’s pre diabetic and hopefully with the right medication and sticking to the things you can eat you will never get to be full diabetic. There are lots of diabetic treat you can get nowadays so hope you won’t feel too deprived but I do understand how you’re are feeling

1 Like

Yes thankfully it may be manageable by diet and exercising, my mobility is hampering the exercise routine. Let’s hope I can improve my situation as I recover from the stroke

1 Like

I was pre diabetic for the past 5 or so years Mark, but the latest blood test ( post stroke) my glucose levels are normal and ive lost that badge.
Ive lost some weight cut out caffeine and alcohol and we have 2 meat free days per week too.
There are loads of ways to make healthier choices without the need for drugs or cutting out your favourite foods totally . Its all about moderation.

The exercise is not helpful but it’ll come back.

Its a mindset thing and youre a strong willed fella so grab some wholemeal bread, pasta brown rice etc and see how you get on buddy making some small changes to your diet etc.

Let us know how you get on

Andy

Now TRFC54Andy

1 Like

@mrfrederickson keep your chin up Mark you can do this. THere’s things you can do to lower the numbers as others have already mentioned. I know its a shock right now but once you’ve absorbed the news you’ll find a way to manage it. Pre diabetic is not diabetic & some small diet tweaks can make a big difference. Stay strong you’ve got this :muscle:

2 Likes

mrfrederickson–I know how bad it feels to be told one has a “thing” --oh, rats another “diagnosis”. We’ve all been there–goes with getting older. My husband has type 2 diabetes and I have to watch the sugar and carbs, too. But you really get used to eating healthy, and there are a lot of really tasty new products out there to make it easier. Swerve makes sweetners that taste just like real sugar(no after taste) that diabetics can have. They make maple syrup, brown, white and confectioners sugar. We’ve just discovered frozen toaster waffles that are high protein. Special K makes a hi protein cereal that is low sugar and low carb. I could go on, but just “seek and ye shall find”. You’ll be surprised what you find. Anyway, we all feel glum at times. You’re entitled. Tomorrow will be a brighter day. This one’s for you >>>

:slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Thanks Lorraine, my misses is on this path my current plan removes sugar from all tea and coffee, all sauces are home created, potato is a hard loss as it’s a staple part of our diet, I’ll just keep it to a minimum. X

1 Like

The annoying thing is I don’t believe I eat unhealthily, my wife’s grandmother ate butt full fat milk cream and what she liked lived till she was 86 , I feel the nhs number counters have a value and if you are near or above it you are in that box, will gett the carbs down and sugar reduction under way , retest in 6 weeks to see if it’s made any difference.

1 Like

Thanks Lorraine much appreciated apple cider vinegar is good too so are almonds, once I get a new diet pattern and realise all is not lost I will be better, as you say it’s the shock of being told you have a another freedom removed, the list is growing, you would laugh if I told you the first thing I asked my consultant when I was in hospital soon after the stroke.

1 Like

Highly personal and not for the forum’s eyes really

1 Like

Probably a similar very personal thing i asked Mark… to do with libido?

Close, more will I have a chance of a stroke if I am at it again, the response surprised me. Ones blood pressure raises only as much walking up stairs as it does during the act and I shouldn’t worry, I walk upstairs every night and no stroke so I’m fine with that, a bit of a chuckle

2 Likes

I’ve been using Candarel since it first came on the market I think, just as sweet as sugar I think.

It’s not all about hard losses you know. Its more about reducing quantities in certain food e.g. 3 small new potatoes instead of a couple of large ones, bulk up on veg with your meal instead. Eat your main meal at lunch instead of evening if you can and just have a light supper. That way your body still has time to burn off a few calories before bedtime :wink: Likewise with treats…a small cake, 2 biscuits, small beer/wine, but keep them to a minimum of once a week maybe and preferably in daytime hours 'til you get your numbers down. Besides, you’ll appreciate and savour them more as a treat :smile:

I dare say this pre type2 diabetes is due to lack of mobility. You are taking in more than you are burning. As your mobility increases this should improve those numbers further for you. Chin up, nothing wrong with trying to be healthy any way we can :wink:

You could also check out the Diatetes.co.uk forum for advice on food for pre diabetes.
Diabetic Food - What Is Diabetic Food and Should I Buy It

Thanks Emerald eyes appreciate the advice, if only I could come good with my arm and leg , my exercises would have taken off to pre stroke levels. I can only keep pushing myself and pray for improved mobility

1 Like

I am Type 2 Dietetic Neuropathy

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Kimberly, I have managed to increase my walking range and burn off morn blood sugar next months tests will tell the story.

1 Like