Delayed reaction

My husband had a stroke nearly a year ago. Physically he has recovered, but emotionally, his stroke has been hard to handle and he has been in denial, but is slowly coming to terms with the fact that he has had a stroke and that he has to make lasting lifestyle changes. However, as we near the 1st year anniversary of his stroke, now I am finding it difficult to cope emotionally and I wonder if any other spouses out there have had a similar experience?

Hi Laurel

I am sorry to hear about your husband's stroke. When someone becomes emotional, or in denial following a stroke, their frustration is often directed at family members. Emotions can escalate when people are tired, fed-up or have had a big change in their circumstances, and that can happen to carers or family members as well. Stroke does have a big impact on everyone involved, not just the stroke survivor, your life can change in an instance as well.

You may benefit from contacting the stroke helpline and talk to someone who understands the effects of stroke. You can call the helpline if you want to know more about stroke and its effects, what happens after a stroke, or what help and support is available, including support for family members. You might simply want someone to talk to, and that’s where they can help. The Stroke Helpline is open Monday, Thursday and Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Tuesday and Wednesday from 8.00am to 6.00pm and Saturday from 10.00am to 1.00pm. The helpline number is 0303 30 33 100.

You will also find some valuable information in the Friends & family section - https://mystrokeguide.com/information-family-and-friends

I hope this helps, please do remember though that there is plenty of support for everyone affected by stroke and the stroke helpline can point you in the right direction.

Take care

Vicki