Death

My TIA 4 years ago was a turning point for me. Not in a morbid way. It obviously brought home how quickly life can change, but it made me look at what is important. I went back to my job after 3 months: quite a stressful, middle-management role in the public sector. 

On my 55th birthday in September, I remembered that my dad passed away the day before his 55th. That really hit me hard. I think of myself as a (relatively) young man, but I am now older than my dad ever got to be.

I sat down with my wife, discussed the future, and decided to take early retirement. I'm due to leave at the end of December. I have no firm plans, which is exciting and scary in equal measure, but I have decided that from now on my quality of life trumps everything else. I've enrolled in a Tour Guide course, though I am not expecting that to lead to too much. It will be interesting and challenging, which is what I need. I will find something to occupy me: a part-time job, volunteering, a new hobby maybe. The "pay" will not necessarily be cash, but may just be something that rewards me on a personal level.

A bit, but I just sort of push to the back of my mind and hope. Not sure if that helps..

Tony

Yes. I’m not frightened of death itself. I do worry about the affect it would have on my family especially my kids. My son 19 has turned into a carer and said he is frightened  that I may die. So I’m not scared I’m just worried. 

Hi Sandy

How you doing?

Rach ?

Hi Rach

I’m a bit better today. The cogs of the NHS have suddenly kicked in again.  Blood pressure is good. Blood tests tomorrow to check drugs are not adversely affecting my kidneys. I’ve got an appointment for the consultants  and for occupational therapy at the end of the month. 

I was a bit down over the last few days but I’m ok now.

My wife is struggling with it all which hasn’t helped. She is off to stay with relatives for a few days so that should help.

How are you doing? I hope you are bearing up. 

Let me know and let’s beat this

Best wishes Sandy x

Hi Sandy

I'm doing ok.  I'm a bit mithered, hence being up at this hour. My dad is going into hospital in a few hours for a new hip. I'm sure he'll be ok, it's taken years to get to this point. ?

Going out with old work colleagues later today for coffee and a catch up (possibly some ?, well I am walking there and back!).

Glad you're getting moving with your appointments etc. I've only got 1 more to go, seeing the neurologist at the end of the month, for another condition I have (I'm not much for him). ?

Glad you're doing ok. As they say in strictly come dancing '''keep walking!'.?

Better get some ?. Speak soon.

Rach x

I hope your dads op goes well. I know a few people who have had replacement joints an once the body heals they have all said they have found it much better, it’s a brilliant thing. I’m sure it will all go well.

im off out to have a walk and get the blood test done. Nice a sunny today. I’m off out for lunch with an ex colleague tomorrow so looking forward to that, might have a half of beer, no wine or spirits. We are going to a Lebanese place that does healthy food. ?.

chat later

Sandy x

Hi Sandy - I had a hip replacement 13 years ago, I had to lie in bed for 5 days!!  Nowadays I think they get you up on your feet within the first 24 hours!!  Hip replacements are fairly straightforward - ball & socket joint - the most important thing is NOT to over bend it in the first 3 - 6 months, don't allow it to bend more than 90 degrees.  I recovered really quickly, did my physio and walked a mile in 20minutes after about 2 months.  He'll be fine, and will be so pleased to be out of pain and to regain his mobility - best wishes xx

Sounds you recovered really well. 

Well done

I've since had to have a knee replacement - that was horrendous, the pain was off the scale!!  I'm falling apart!  So lucky to have wonderful surgeons, physios etc

Best wishes to you xx