Deafness after stroke

Hi. I’m new on here so please be patient!
I had a bleed on the brain almost 3 months ago. Progress is very slow although I am managing to walk a few steps with a physio.
One of the problems is that the stroke seems to have affected my hearing. Most of my left side is not exactly numb but feels very strange and my arm and leg do very strange things at times I.e. they are uncontrollable. I wouldn’t dare hold a glass of wine or cup of coffee in that hand as quite suddenly my arm would just let the cup or glass fall to the floor.
Has anyone else experiencing this or the deafness and was it permanent? Although I can hear people talking to me I seem to live in a silent world with a head stuffed full of cotton wool and ears completely blocked.

2 Likes

Thanks Loraine. Still traumatised by the stroke. Always thought I was fit and healthy!

2 Likes

@Apple welcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve had cause to join us.

I can’t comment on the deafness as I had opposite issue everything is too loud for me.

I had ledt sided weakness and for the first few months I couldn’t hold things in my left hand. With physio & time I now have full use of my arm again & can carry drinks around without fear of dropping them.

You are still in the very early days of recovery yet & you should be able to make lots of improvements.

Best wishes.

Ann x

Hi @Apple , welcome to the forum. I was a little bit deaf before the stroke but developed tnitus since stroke. I also think some of the perceived deafness since stroke is actually a processing issue i.e. it takes me a while to understand what people are saying to me (well that’s my excuse anyway :rofl:).

You will probably experience many weird and wonderful new things in your post stroke life, but we are all here to help each other.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery.
Mark.

2 Likes

I was a little bit deaf before the stroke - I’d been working in a hospital and had the privilege of a free hearing test for staff.
After the stroke I had another test and my actual hearing had improved! What has not improved is my processing and concentration so although I can technically hear better than before it doesn’t help me in a busy situation. I also get occasional tinnitus and a feeling of a blocked ear. Can you get a referral to audiology to try to pinpoint exactly what the problem may be?

Absolutely. I have the same problems with my left side and my left arm has a tendency to jerk. I can’t hold a knife or glass with my left arm either. A year after my stroke I had an infection and lost a lot of hearing. I now wear hearing aids. Not sure if the loss of hearing is connected with my stroke though.

Hi. Pretty sure my loss of hearing is connected to my stroke as I noticed it more or less instantly. Looks like I need a hearing test. As for left srms mine is a nightmare especially when I first wake up. It waves around uncontrollably. Doing exercises for it but not sure its improved

@Apple

One thing about stroke that is quite difficult to comprehend is that the bits we refer to as not working, are not in themselves malfunctioning. The arm or whatever is not damaged, it could in fact function completely as it should in the right circumstances.
What is happening is the control mechanisms, which reside in the brain are damaged or destroyed so ‘bits’ like a limb for example appear to no longer work. The bits do actually work its just that the controls that govern them have packed up, or no longer connect.
It is interesting to note that the body has systems to enable it to perform repairs when it has been damaged. These repairs can take place rapidly in some cases but can be very slow on other occasions. In this way the brain can heal.

The experience of having had a stroke is very disorienting, traumatic and difficult to describe especially to someone who has not experienced it. Because of this it is useful to talk and listen to others who have been here and walked that same walk.

It is a very on-going experience, you will meet others who had a stroke quite some time ago and those to whom it has just happened. My own experience is that stroke survivors have time for one another and frequently help and support one another.

I can’t give you all the answers or which course of action you should take, but you have my best wishes and a suggestion to make good use of this forum to say your piece and to learn about your fellow survivors.

Keep on keepin’ on
:smile: :+1:

3 Likes

[quoteHi Think we all have the cotton wool head that comes and goes but I’d agree with ingo66 consider it could be due to the problem of processing.l had big trouble early on which got better but now some days processing problems kick in and I have trouble hearing particularly if more than one person speaking. But have to consider it could be due to aging :confounded:rats !=“Apple, post:10, topic:32544”]
Hi
[/quote]

1 Like

No, think it’s from the stroking, always had exceptional hearing could hear a distant mouse fart. But now if more than a couple are chatting strain to hear. But bird song seems to be louder and clearer, almost magical. Sense of smell weird some days can smell drain’s powerfully, yuk. Remember my Mums sense of smell got very acute after her stroke. Spoke to chum at my stroke club yesterday a Scotsman stroked at 37, authority’s were going to put him in old folks home, that was a wake up call​:open_mouth::weary:.
Family booked him in to a stroke rehabilitation centre run like one of your American Boot Camps. First thing they said to him was “ if you don’t use it you lose it” He took it on board and with great help from family has recovered remarkably. Had double vision for few years then it returned to normal and could drive. At the club ,some have got back to driving in no time at all, others a year or two and others have lost confidence . woman got a prism fitted to glasses which has given her the confidence to reapply for her license.
So we must live in hope. For time being I have learned to accept my lot ( sort of :thinking:) and enjoy life best I can. Keep that Pecker up. :kissing_heart:Paul

3 Likes

I have hard time hearing people right after my accident on public transportation when I was on my power wheel chair last month

2 Likes

You could do with getting a hearing test then and get some aids. Then when things get too noisy you can just turn them down or turn them off when you want a bit of peace :wink:

1 Like

I have a Captions call phone device

4 Likes