Dad had a stroke

So sorry to hear about your dad.

I was told the night before my discharge from the Stroke unit that the physios etc expected that I would only be able to stand up and turn around using a zimmer frame then sit down. Step transfers.  I didn't know this thank goodness! So the following day 12 weeks post my stroke I used my zimmer and walked out to the car taking me home.  I got in and out of the car and climbed the stairs when I got home. Moral of the tale always believe it might take a bit longer never give up.  But it is repetition repetition.  It's this that helps rewire the brain.  Hope your dad gets the help he needs soon.  

UThat is such awful news to face, Carri. Thank goodness we have this message board to share our concerns and to hear more positive outcomes. As others have said already, repetition is so important in helping the brain learn new routes. Have a look at your diary and you’ll see how much improvement Dad has made already. The OT who looked after us both when John was discharged emphasised the need to take things a step at a time. Sometimes there will be steps backwards but only until the next surge forwards. The brain is an amazing machine! Take care and know we’re all rooting for you and your family. 

Virtual hugs, Veronica and John ?