Cycling

As a long term stroke survivor, I tried to get back on my bike, but the weakness I now have in my right arm meant that i couldn't balance.  So I bought a home made recumbent tadpole, which had a raised seat, but was heavy.  I found that I couldn't get up from a 'normal' tadpole.  Unfortunately, we live on a hill, and the trike was too heavy for me to get up, I even bought a lower geared set to try, but it was not to be.  My wife also refused to let me ride the trike, as the roads round here are either too narrow, or too fast, and she felt that it would be dangerous for me.  So I sold the trike, and am now reduced to looking longingly at the bikes in the garage, and the friends who go out riding.  Even with warning flags, a trike is wide and low, and motorists do not seem to believe that they should give them enough room, at least around here.  Cycling is good exercise, especially for people like us, but unless there is more done to highlight the dangers to motorists, then it will always be a step (or pedal) too far for me.

My balance was not great so I was unable to ride a two wheel bike, I found the Recumbent bikes were much better as you did not need to balance, I have an ICE Sprint X. It was expensive but gives you some real independence and let's you get back out to what you love. My first ride I can remember only doing 1 mile and it was slow to build it up, I can now do 40 miles and can be out for 4 or 5 hours. On Facebook there is a good group for recumbent bikes in the U.K. the ICE is a tadpole trike two wheels at the front one at the back, it's hard to get in and out of it as my model is very low, but once your in it, it's very comfortable. I found bar end shifters were best for me as grip shift gears upset the steering, the bike also folds with the carbon fibre seat removed so will easily fit in the boot of a car for transport.

I was so pleased to see people are cycling after stroke. I really enjoyed cycling for pleasure prior to my stroke 2 years ago and have been cycling for a limited time as part of my rehab on a turbo trainer. I really want to go out side but have lost my confidence.  

Well I bought a trike after my stroke which enables me to get out and get exercise. There are a few stroke survivors doing the same and there is a group of around 500 of us (some able bodied and others with a range of disabilities) on Faceook as "UK Adult Tricycle Riders".  You don't have to own a trike to join so you are more than welcome to pop along and have a look around.  Lots of people on trikes in the last couple of years and lots are electric with power assist and some are just ordinary trikes.  Very different to ride than bikes but once you get the hang of it great fun and more fun than indoor cycling.

You are welcome aboard

Joan

I run a group on Facebook for "UK Adult Tricycle Riders" you would be more than welcome to join.  We have over 500 members, some are stroke survivors others with a range of abilities and disabilities.  Do pop along if you would like to share your experiences and fun.

Joan

Thanks I will look

This is me riding my restored 1958 Raleigh Cameo, it was my winter project after coming out of hospital. I kid you not, I can ride with ease but struggle to walk. To walk I need a cane and can't manage long distances at all. I can do about two hours on the bike without fatigue or stroke symptoms, but I feel it when I get off. I am usually wobbly and woozy. I would ideally like a Rad Runner, electric utility bike, but can't afford it at the moment. This Cameo is a pleasure to ride, I restored one with a step-through as opposed to the t-bar as it is easier for me to mount and alight. On a good day, I will do laps up the country lanes. I believe that the ability to ride as opposed to walking with ease is because the cerebellum manages involuntary movements like walking but the cerebrum manages voluntary movements like cycling.

I'm pleased to hear about cycling enthusiasts on here who are giving it a go despite our collective physical and cognitive woes. I think it is marvellous exercise and good for morale. I love rambling too, both walking and cycling are noble ways to improve one's self-esteem and mood.

Before my stroke I was in the ramblers but when they upgraded the walks I had to resign I would love to cycle but the traffic on the road is horrendous when covid hits it was impossible  to get hold of a,bike unable to get 2nd hands bikes due to covid happy cycling  rup !

Thanks! Oh yes, traffic can be terrifying. Fortunately, I have a few quiet lanes to cycle up and down. I miss rambling terribly, and I would frequently go foraging for mushrooms, climbing up cascades, through bracken, and up hills. I am going to have to start again, gently. Hopefully in September, I'll manage a forage as I know where all the good mushrooms are at that time, but I don't think I can manage the two hour wanders I used to do. 

I found I had lost the ability to cycle after my stroke so I took up tricycling instead.  It is different to cycling, and you do need to learn how, but it is a great way to exercise.  There are loads of secondhand ones for sale on Marketplace because people buy them, and don't take the time to learn, but it is worthwhile and great fun.

Do you mean the recumbent trike? The ones you sit back on? They look like a pleasurable kind of ride. I decided to restore my bike with the intention of riding it only when I had reached a fit state of recovery, I was surprised to find I could ride it sooner. Walking distances for me is difficult because my vestibular system is all muddled up, but riding has allowed me to travel a couple of miles to enjoy the countryside, whereas, I could only walk about half a mile before needing to return and rest.

No I actually ride a normal trike.  I set up a FB group for people who ride them 'UK adult tricycle riders' and we have several stroke survivors on there.

Well at least you can go foraging and cycling  my walks will be shorter now but I had a lot of fun when I was a rambler I'm not confident returning to cycling  a stationary bike probably my limit  and aqa bikes have to dream won't I

I was so pleased this morning as cycled for first time in 2.5 years since my stroke. I wondered if I would ever feel confident to  cycle again outside ( had been indoors for a few months on turbo trainer). But my husband who is an avid cyclist drove to a quiet area with level roads and off I went nervous at first but soon ok 3.6 miles but a start. It was a wonderful feeling. Recovery never stops, as so many others have found!

Well done!

Well done! I have been considering cycling but am not yet confident due to the fact my stroke has left me with a reduced field of vision and balance issues. Reading your message give me hope that cycling can be part of my future. 

Thanks

I tried it on a turbo trainer to help my confidence and check my balance. I am lucky that my husband comes with me and thanks to pandemic local flat road with limited car access, and a good surface in large country park so don't have to worry about traffic as well as I start to increase time cycling. I hope you will cycle again when ready and have someone who can go with you to.

I agree cycling really raises my mood and feels good. I walked the South Downs way the year before my stroke but now really appreciate I am now able to go out for short walks again.