Cycling

Hi 

I have recently bought myself a new pedal bike to help with my rehabilitation, unfortunately I fell off this morning ??‍♂️ only being able to use the brake on my left side as the stroke I had effected my right. 

I was wondering if anybody had a similar problem. And if you are able to get adapted somehow. 

hello John,

Sorry to hear about your stroke but it's good that you are able to get out and excercise. I have a bike but it is a e bike which is really good as I dont have the same strength in my left side and I don't want to give up cycling. Try not to fall of again as you don't want to finish up in hospital again That won't help any rehabilitation. Maybe some wrist strengthing excercises may help you to pull the brakes on better.I can't see anyway of fiddling with the brakes to make them less hard to pull otherwise they won't work at all.

Sandie

I know that years ago, bikes in Germany were made so that you pedalled backwards as a braking mechanism.  I wonder if that is an adaptation that could be made?  

My German friend, could never get used to our braking system, and she regularly had a coming together with obstacles, as she was furiously pedalling backwards and wondering why she wasn't slowing down!!

xx  Take care  xx

Hi mate...you can get a bit  of kit that can be set up to operate front and back brake at the same time. .it's very similar to a normal brake lever...I got one and it does the job...I to have fallen off many times  -  don't let this put you off doing what you love ...good luck pushing forward. ..

I know was gutted at first done a decent ride then fell off virtually outside my front door ?

Do you happen to know the name of the kit? 

My partner suffered a stroke that has affected his left side. He has no movement in his left arm. He loves cycling and it would be great if anyone has any ideas on how he can cycle safely with just one arm? Any suggestions greatly appreciated 

if the bike has a fixed rear wheel pedalling backwards will result in braking I don't think that would allow you to have gears, but you could then divert the front brake cable to the side which your good hand can operate. Hope that helps, think that the suggestion for an e-bike is probably best if you can afford it. best of luck.

Hi I had adult stabilisers fitted to my bike , I'm still not confident but I am using it . The only problem is I lost some gears doing this , however I don't really need them where I cycle.hope this helps 

Julie 

It's just a thought, but maybe the Paralympic Association may be the best placed to offer suggestions on adaptations?

...just Google 'dual brake lever'...it allows front and rear brake cables to be connected to just one lever which is fitted to the handlebar on the side you are unaffected...you can fit yourself and it's not expensive...Cheers 

Ihave recently written/published a free verse poem about missing bike riding after my stroke I can email you a copy email mewendydavisbeard@me.com any info on your progress appreciated Iam similarly effected from my deep stroke 2007!Wendy

That is all massively technical for my mini-brain!!  But I'm sure someone will understand it!!  The braking system I'm thinking of, was from about 30 years ago, so sure things will have moved on considerably since then.  As you say, probably an e-bike if affordable.  I wonder if a grant would be available towards the cost?

Hi everyone - In common with a lot of people I decided to go back to cycling having not done it for years.  Dug the old bike out of the garage and gave it a try.  It is over 10 years since I cycled, and I did have a stroke last year, so I wasn't too surprised that I found it really hard to get started.  So I decided that the answer for me was probably a tricycle.  They do exist for adults and as it is quite hilly where I live I decided to go for an e-bike with a bit of electric power to help.

Because so many people are taking up cycling it is a bit tricky to find them for sale but I managed it and took delivery at the end of last month.  It is very different to ordinary cycling so I am still building up my confidence but it is great fun.  I suspect it makes cycling more accessible to a lot of people so maybe worth thinking about for others?  There are quite a lot of different machines out there to deal with a range of disabilities.

Joan

Hi everyone, I had my stroke on December 19th while heading out for a bike ride, I was a very keen long distance cyclist and used to cycle around 10,000 miles a year although that has come down a bit in recent years I was still cycling around 100 miles a week, I thought my cycling days would be over but it's great to hear of folk still cycling post stroke.

I wish you all the best on the road to recovery. I was told to wait 3 months post stroke before taking any serious exercise. I took it very gently for the next month or so, but it was great to be back on two wheels!

I prefer to go off road as much as possible, but I do watch out for bumps, ruts and mud. I cannot cycle in winter for other health reasons. I have always been careful in traffic, so I do cycle steadily on grass verges where I can.

I suggest that you wait until you are ready to cycle, then take it very steady, and not to far. There may be issues with balance, eye sight and reactions may not be what you expect them to be.

I used to always cycle alone, but I now try to find a buddy to cycle with when I can. This can be difficult, so I try to prepare a route map or guide, and leave it at home in a prominent place. A map and fully charged mobile phone are must haves.

I used to be able to cycle off road over hills, up to 15 miles or so. I now try to cycle where it is flatter. I have not cycled much yet, but soon will be a good time to resume. I can manage 5 miles or so, but I do take it steady, with the odd stop for a rest. It is very hilly around Epsom.

I was warned about the risk of a head injury post stroke, so I am very careful, and I always wear a cycle helmet.

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable return to cycling, but please wait until you feel that you are ready and the medics agree, and you have the stamina, reactions and balance!

Graham

Charity Remap is very useful for adaptations. 

I suffered my stroke 8 years ago and have minimal use of my right arm and leg. This has led to issues with my balance. A return to cycling (on 2 wheels) was out of the question. I soon discovered recumbents though and I am back on the road. I have a dart (2 wheels at the back) and a tadpole (2 wheels at the front) plus electrified versions. I would be happy to answer any questions about this form of transport.

After a stroke affected my right leg, I eventually managed to get back on my mountain bike after a wobbly start. Mind you I fell off a couple of times, so advise  a friend or relative to be around (to catch you ?)  when you first try to get back on the bike. I keep mostly to grass and non traffic routes. If you are able, a stationary exercise bike is a good start.

My husband Barnaby had a stroke last January 2020, and we have just got a recumbent electric trike. It's been liberating for him to get out on the road again. As it is a trike he does not fall over when he stops, despite his weak right side. As it's electric it helps with effort levels and hills (we live in Devon, with many a hill). We found out about it through my WhatsApp stroke survivors carers group, and he had lessons and then decided to invest in one (instead of a Motorbility car) through Tom at FreeTrike rehab bikes. Highly recommend. 

I'm a long-term stroke survivor and owner of two trikes: a low-step ‘delta’ (with two wheels at the back) and a recumbent ‘tadpole’. Both trikes have pros and cons. The delta is better in traffic as you sit higher but you need to be careful if you had a normal bike before your stroke. It may seem counterintuitive when cornering because it doesn't lean like a normal bike. The rider has to do the leaning. Many trike riders fall foul of this when they encounter their first corner, panic and grab a handful of brake and skin their knees on the frame (or worse). A recumbent is far better as it is stable and can be ridden at hair-raising speeds (world record is 80+mph!).

The ideal riding situation is where the recumbent stroke survivor is accompanied by an able-bodied partner on a normal bike to act as lookout. 

Power-assistance is recommended for all trikes as they are inevitably heavier than normal bikes.