Critical illness claims after stroke

Hello,

I am recovering from a stroke and the subsequent mechanical thrombectomy I had three weeks ago. The majority of my initial symptomsu(unable to speak, loss of use of my right hand side) have eased. I am however left with fatigue, memory loss and brain fog/confusion not to mention a mental battle trying to comprehend what has happened.

During my recovery I have spoken with a number of friends and they asked if had critical illness cover as i may be elligble to claim. I am 37 years old and previously very fit and active so the thought of having to make a claim like this had never occurred to me.

So I guess I’m here looking for some guidance and advice from people who may have gone through the claims process after suffering a stroke. Sorry if this appears basic but i’m not sure where to begin.

Appreciate any help you may be able to provide.

Hi , sorry to hear of your stroke. Not really answering your question! But bit of advice with insurance companies in general. Many years ran my own building, property maintenance company. Home insurance / started add on emergency cover. We carried a lot out for them. Burst pipes, storm damage, & through the night. Turn up asess, client talk to insurance & we would confirm. Always suggested to client, to run their possible discussion, with us FIRST ! ie think carefully & slowly how to explain. The times I would see them or later the asesores wriggle out of claim, was shameful. Sometimes, being told to leave client with water flooding from pipe, or part of roof ripped off . Client believing there wouldn’t be a problem. Person on phone often, seemed to have no compassion. Sorry, sounds slightly negative. Sure you will not have a problem! Just touched a nerve. All the best David.

Hi you should get in touch with who you have critical illness with. I have critical illness and as a stroke is classed as a illness that leaves you with health problems for more than 4 weeks my insurance critical illness paid out a lump some which helped me to pay off a large loan. Hope this helps :grin: