Craniectomy

Hi there,

I am new to the site after joining due to my dad having two large strokes a month ago. After the second stroke, the surgeons performed a craniectomy. He was recovering in the ICU but has recently been moved to the stroke ward. The doctors have said the left side of his brain and frontal lobe have been damaged. They say he may recover to some degree but say it is unlikely. So far, he is not responsive, can't swallow and has not moved his right side. 

Before the strokes, my dad was incredibly fit (he used to be in the army for 22  years), was the perfect DIY man (he often googled or YouTubed how to fix or install things, like a full bathroom!) and very intelligent. 

It has been an incredibly difficult time, especially over Christmas plus COVID. Both myself and my mum are looking for any similar experiences of those who have been through something similar. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

A very hopeful daughter x

Dear Clootie

so sorry to hear about your Dad.

there is always hope.

medics have to tell you the worst outcomes, and plenty of us exceed the original bad  news.

most of us were fit before stroke, i doubt we would have survived if we were not fit to start with. We also recover better if we are determined and positive.

there is a book "my stroke of insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor. Its a hard and technical read, but it does show how a person can go from disaster to a fulfilled life.

I had a straight forward ischemic stroke. All i could move was my right hand. I am here five years later. i walked after just four days and was home within the week. A team of medics came to my home for six weeks. Part of my memory has gone, i am reconstructing the missing bits from my diary. 
we are all different. No two strokes are the same.

best wishes

Colin

Hello Clootie and welcome.  Sorry to hear of your Dad's strokes and the surgery he has also had to endure.  Strokes are difficult enough for families to come to terms with at the best of times but at Christmas time, it is extremely hard.

Like Colin says, most people who have strokes are fit and healthy which is why they are so unfair on the victim.  There seems to be this misconception in general that the more unhealthy you are, the higher risk you are of strokes.  In reality, this isn't the case. There needs to be much more publicity and many more advertising campaigns to show to people that anyone can have a stroke, young or old.

Doctors will always prepare you for the worst but the brain is a wonderful thing.  It is still early days for Dad and he will need not only to rest because of his surgery but also because of the trauma caused by the strokes to his brain.  The fact that he is out of ICU and onto a Stroke Ward is a positive step in the right direction.  They will monitor Dad closely and watch for signs that indicate any change so they can plan out his recovery steps. Sadly, stroke recovery is very slow so you will need all the patience you can muster up as a family.  Keep us updated and there are a few people on here whose Mums or Dads are in a similar situation so can help you through this.  Take care of yourselves too.  

Hi Hopeful Daughter- Every stroke experience is different.  I don't know the extent of your dad's brain damage, but then maybe the doctors don't really know either.  The brain rewires itself and heals.  A lot can depend on the help received and how hard one works at getting better.  I had a stoke 2 1/2 years ago.  My left side was completely paralyzed.  During my 3 1/2 weeks in the hospital I had physical,occupational and speech therapy(during which I also practiced swallowing) 3 times a day. They made me a brace for my left foot(which I couldn't feel at the time) to keep me from dragging it. Started me on a walker, then 3-pronged cane.  When I went home I needed toilet rails and a tub transfer seat for a few weeks after coming home.  Physical and occupational therapy continued 2 times a week for four months.  I am still working at healing and though I tire easily and have to pace myself. I can now walk normally about 1 1/3 miles a day and do most things I did before.  I can't say it's been easy, and having a helpful, supportive husband by my side and seeing a counselor when I was depressed has made a huge difference. Bottom line.  Who knows what your dad will be able to accomplish if he keeps at it? It's a long haul, but it gets better. I kept a simple,daily log  so my progress was there in black and white. Keep positive .  Though grateful for where I am,I am still working at getting better.  My friend told me it took her 4 years before she felt like herself.  It helps to realize it takes some time so you don't get too discouraged. One other thing they told me to see a neurologist and cardiologist right away, which I did.  The cardiologist found I had Afib(which I never felt) that caused the stroke. I'm on meds for that, so I don't worry about a repeat.  It's important to find out the cause of the stroke and treat it.  Best of luck to your dad and to you.  Love, Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you so much for your lovely words. It really helps to learn what others have suffered and the amazing accomplishments after a lot of hard work and patience. 

Dad has been having OT and physical therapy. The doctors say his left side is strong but he remains unresponsive. I guess it is early days though and we are trying to take one day at a time. 

I feel one of the hardest parts is not being able to visit (due to COVID) although I have read elsewhere that it is important stroke patients have lots of rest. With that being said, my mum and I asked today if there was anything we could do to help and the therapist suggested dropping off memorable objects for her to use in therapy sessions. Fingers crossed this is a step in the right direction!

The most recent update has been for dad to move to a neurological rehab centre. It has been suggested that this is the best place for him due to the care and support they offer for patients in similar circumstances. 

I hope your recovery continues and each day brings positivity. Sending you my best wishes, 

Clootie x

Thank you for your kind words. Since creating this profile, it has really helped to read what others have suffered whether through their own experience or through a loved one.

Dad has been having OT and physical therapy. The doctors say his left side is strong but he remains unresponsive. I guess it is early days though and we are trying to take one day at a time. 

I feel one of the hardest parts is not being able to visit (due to COVID) although I have read elsewhere that it is important stroke patients have lots of rest. With that being said, my mum and I asked today if there was anything we could do to help and the therapist suggested dropping off memorable objects for her to use in therapy sessions. Fingers crossed this is a step in the right direction!

The most recent update has been for dad to move to a neurological rehab centre. It has been suggested that this is the best place for him due to the care and support they offer for patients in similar circumstances. 

I am going to be a regular reader of this forum and will definitely keep in touch. Thank you so much again! 

A very grateful, Clootie x

Hi there Colin,

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice. It really helps to stay positive with all the motivational support through the forum. Your book recommendation is hugely appreciated- I have just bought it! I will let you know how I get on, thanks again.

I hope your determination and positive mindset continues to support your progress. Sending my best wishes, 

Clootie x

Clootie, I know it has been very hard on all of you to not be able to be together during this ordeal. I was fortunate in that respect.  It's great that he's in a neurological rehab center, like I was.  They know what they're doing, and I'm sure will get him on the right path.  There was a man in the rehab center where I was that seemed to be paralyzed everywhere.  They used two therapists, one on each side to hold him up between the walking bars to get him walking again.  It was amazing. Those wonderful people work miracles.You and your dad and mom will be in my prayers tonight.  Love, Jeanne

Thats very encouraging.

Dad will now have passed the medical fitness stage, thus the move to rehab.

indeed, we need lots of rest and sleep and i found visitors hard to deal with. So your absence has a big plus side. Also, the staff will concentrate on Dad whereas visitors would take up lots of their time.

some SS will sleep for 22 hours a day. I think 14 hours is typical. 

i can clearly remember the hour when my brain decided to make contact with my legs. It was 5  am. Something just coursed through my body and i knew i could feel my legs. I walked that day. Well staggered, but i was upright and moving under my own steam. I had been getting my toes and fingers to move about a half inch , or two mm for the current generation. Five years on, those movements remain a wonderful memory.

Good luck with the Jill Rolte book. It is hard going. Do get hold of the SA booklets. They are easy going and very informative.

The SA may well have a bundle available to Mum, give it a try.

i think you will now have a decent 2021.

colin