Coughing with a choking feeling

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has this symptom-coughing in the middle of night and choking, it's as if I cannot swallow on left side. It's frightening a little as I feel done of my airways are blocked. I've changed BP tablets 3 times now incase it was them. But I think it's just an odd symptom. Let me know please if anyone else feels like this and how can I ease it. My stroke was just over 2 months ago and was left back of my head. Acute Cerebella lacuna. Thank you for listening. :)

Hi, sorry to hear of this problem. It is quite possibly the medications you are on. I learnt early on that some Statins, blood thinners etc. can cause respiratory problems. I have emphysema ( as well as the stroke thing ) and I Had to change tablets quite a bit because they were making me cough worse than normal. So do hope this helps and you get it sorted. Best wishes, Jane.

1 Like

Hello,

I had a bilateral cerebeller infarct plus six TIAs. I have difficulty swallowing saliva, more so when resting on my right side, and sitting up. I do not have coughing fits, but I have a reduced respiratory drive which is quite common for cerebellar stroke. When my swallowing plays up, it is quite intense for that moment. I have got a little used to it now, and swallow more voluntarily than instinctively like I used to. 

1 Like

Hi- I had to change my BP tablets because they re-acted with Clopidogrel.  I was on Ace-inhibitor BP tablets and was fine on these when I was on aspirin but after my TIA last Oct, I was put on Clopi to stop another stroke. I had a really bad dry cough for 3 months.  The GP took me off Perindopril BP tablets and swapped me to Losartan.  Within 3 weeks, the cough disappeared.  I do quite often have what feels like cramp on the left side of my neck (my stroke side) It goes into a spasm when I yawn or laugh so I have to momentarily hold my breath until it relaxes and it goes away but it is frightening at the time.

Thank you for replying 

Thank you for replying 

No problem, on my back with my head lifted, I sometimes can't swallow at all. At first I panicked, but now have accepted it as a symptom and have to adjust my position accordingly. If you have trouble breathing, I suggest two things, adjusting posture as straight as possible - in bed and out, also, taking a few deep breaths through the nose down to the belly and up to the chest, and then out the mouth. This seems to calibrate my breathing.