Coping at work?

Good afternoon,

I am new here, been watching from the sidelines. How’s your day going.

I wanted to ask how returning to work went. Coping with fatigue and having bad days after. Can it work, any tips re planning etc? Thanking you all in advance for answers.

1 Like

Hello Caye and welcome to the forums

This is a very common symptom for stroke survivors. Unfortunately it got the better of me and I was not able to return to work. I was employed in the NHS. I went through the full 12 month sickness procedure including phased return to work. I rarely managed one day before having to come home (due to the fatigue).
Eventually an ill health retirement package was arranged and I retired over 4 years ago.
However, looking on the bright side I have learned how to plan my days so that I have plenty of rest time. Eg, this morning I went shopping so the rest of my day is scheduled for sedentary activity.
I guess returning to work is unique to each individual and needs to be balanced between one’s symptoms and the demands of the work environment. I hope you manage to find the right balance for yourself.
There is plenty of help and ideas available from forum users and I have had help from other users.

1 Like

@Caye welcome to the forum. I’m planning to return to work in next 2 weeks and have the same concerns as you.

I am going back on a phased return and will be allowed regular breaks to try & help manage the fatigue. A lot will depend on your role i guess. I’m just going to try & see how I get on then rethink & adjust if necessary.

A couple of people on here have gone back to work & hopefully they’ll be able to offer some better advice.

Good luck.

Ann

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t got to the phased return part yet. I know it will take me more than 2 weeks. I am part of the NHS too. So it strange hearing from you. Thanks again for the advice and the welcome. Glad you can plan your day and rest when needed. Life is so strange.

Thank you for the welcome, aww wow well done you. Hope it goes really well for you. That’s good that they are giving you rest breaks.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and explanation of how your return to work went. That’s really encouraging. I hope I get back to work too. I work in the NHS, long hours so :thinking:.

1 Like

@Caye et al, one of the most important things to do is listen to your body. Don’t be compelled to do too much too soon.

Of course, everyone’s experience and situation is unique. It’s appreciated, some things are easier said than done!

In brief, I had a TIA end of December 2022. Speech was my only issue - until I found out that fatigue was too, once discharged and at home. I was resting but keeping somewhat busy too. I was eager to return to work but knew not to rush myself. My employer is/was so supportive. Starting with admin, I could do a morning - then stop and rest. The odd day I’d push myself, but I’d fail. But my choice! And every couple of weeks I’ve gently increased the working time. Just like last week where I’ve done more - and it’s worked. Even the other day I needed no daytime sleep.

Some days I’ve tried to sleep but not been tired enough. So, I listen to my body. If a sleep is on the cards then so be it, or just sit and doze in front of a film. I just know things are always improving. I just don’t rush or force myself - and it’s working. Make notes and adjust as necessary.

Wishing you - all - well.

Jonty.

2 Likes

@Jonty thanks for reply and to hear how you’re coping, seems like you have a good plan in place. Well done hope it works out for you. I am learning to listen to my body. One day gone 3 days the fatigue and pain gets me. Puts a stop to my routine. In working progress😉

@Caye - in progress is the key. Everyone is different and so is their story and their recovery. Although keen and eager, the few times I’ve pushed (tested) myself with big strides… it was too much. So I know smaller steps is the way.

One thing I’d managed to omit from my first reply was ‘sleep’ (at night) or rather ‘routine’. It may be obvious but it wasn’t to me, initially. I always need/want to get up at 6am. Before my TIA, I had changed being in bed for 10pm to 11pm - which put a stop to waking up before the alarm! Once I started my working return, I found 11pm wasn’t good enough. At 9pm I begin to slow down with a cuppa and ensure I’m in bed for 10pm again. It’s working for me.

Even with my somewhat simple TIA, the listening, learning and adapting is so key. As too is time…

Wishing you well.

Jonty.

1 Like

@Jonty pacing yourself and knowing how you feel is a must. I need to learn to listen to my body more.

1 Like

I wish I could pace myself. Trying too. Thanks :blush:

2 Likes