Confused over Government Coronavirus advice

Makes sense.

One week ago they said that over 70s and vulnerable people would be "shielded".  As I am over 70 and have a life threatening heart disease and asthma I come under that category.

They asked that I stay at home for 12 weeks. There were then recommendations that we receive no visitors, did not set foot outside our property. So Rosemary and I did exactly that. 

All last week we were promised we would get some priority with booking home delivery slots. Even yesterday Mr Sainsbury was writing to me saying they would give details of how we booked the slot, or if they didnt think we were over 70 then we could tell them. This is all untrue. The "category" has changed to more serious ill peopel, thought to be 1.5million of us and I dont think that i need to apply that category to me. They are now "Severely vulnerable" .

I think us over 70 or vulnerable group has been forgotten. It is impossible to book a delivery slot with Sainsbury and likewise Tesco. I have stayed at home for a week now. And the new category start 12 weeks from next week.

All very stresful. I now have a big decision. I am due for an echo ecg on thursday. Slap bang in the centre of Colchester hospital. The echo is a precursor to getting the cardiac consultant to operate to gve me a new valve. I doubt that I will survive for the next two years without this valve. My pulse is dropping lower and lower. So do I risk the corona by visiting the hospital ? And then find the opeation cant be done (it takes up a bed for a week apparently) I guess i do. But then again I am surprised they have not cancelled me already.

I do feel sad that I have battled through stroke and now i am struggling again. 

best wishes

Colin

Hi Colin - I think we are all somewhat overwhelmed by the messages coming out during this period. The daily briefings by the PM are not easy to follow, too wordy, too long, and I suspect that policy is just being made up as they go along - it has to be this way, it's a fast-changing situation.  As my husband falls into the vulnerable group (excluding stroke), we have decided that he has no other option than to follow the quarantine procedures - 12 weeks without contact.  We were rather reckless yesterday and went out to buy a new car!  We were trying to get one before everything closed down, so we were impulsive.  However, that's his last trip out for a while, and when we have visitors, like today, they will have refreshments/picnic in the garden rather than come inside the house!!

We employ staff, and they are looking to us for guidance, so we have to interpret the ever changing guidelines.  This causes a lot of anxiety for the staff, because we can't give definitive answers!  

I've done on-line grocery shopping for about 5 years, but discovered there's no loyalty when it comes to times like these!  My grocery shopping trolley contained items worth £98, when the actual shopping arrived it only cost £39 - ASDA had just removed most of my shopping, even though it was my normal monthly list ??.  So this maybe isn't the best time to try online shopping, the systems aren't coping and the stock isn't available.  I ended up going to the local town to do my shopping, and to collect shopping for 3 of my neighbours who have difficulties.  

We await the letter from the govt. and will continue to smile and find something to laugh about ? 

Enjoy being in your garden -  we watched a buzzard being dive-bombed by some crows this morning!!  The rabbits have been trying to nibble our newly planted fruit trees and a couple of deer were eating the new green leaves on the willow!!  At least the weather is being kind to us.

Take care, hang in there xx

Best of luck, hope you can get what you need and that others in the shop will be able to help you.  I managed to find some Calpol for a friend's baby, but I didn't have my glasses, so another shopper kindly read the instructions for me!!  There are some thoughtful people in the world.  Ask supermarket staff to help you, that's what they are there for ? xx

Good luck, hope it goes well. I really admire your courage and determination. I takes guts to do that on your own.

Stay safe.

Regards Sue

If it were me, I would attend as normal. Usually if you don't turn up for an appointment, they send you back to the bottom of the list.  I went to the hospital last Thurs for a chest x-ray. I was suprised how quiet the whole building was. Car park empty. Straight in and out of x ray, only me in so we were less than 20 mins so didn't need to pay - win, win!  I am sure the hospital staff won't put you under any risk due to your condition. Are you getting a lift or a cab?  I would wear disposable gloves if you have any and keep a hankie over your mouth till you get inside the hospital.  All the best x

Now I bought a new apple ipad last week. Before the delivery drivers cave in. And I thoughtthat was heavy. I havent used an ipad so now its a big learning curve. But a new car, well that is OTT. I hope you like your new wheels.

The online delivery slots is terrible. What a fiasco. But to say something positive I did get an excellent batch of food from the butcher and he hopes to do that each week. He is about 4 miles from our village. And the paperboy brought us a paper, milk and bread. That gave us so much joy. With regular bread and a bit of milk then we can get by. Our cupboards are well stocked and not from panic buying. Us country folk (ha ha) keep stores rather than dashing to a supermarket, dont we ? 

Best wishes

Colin

Hi Colin, you could give the echo department a ring tomorrow and see if appointments are going ahead. I imagine their out patient list will have been reduced.

Hope you are otherwise managing to get everything you need.

Ann

Good advice.

I think I will drive. It is a little further than I can comfortably manage, but with all the traffic disappearing I should be OK. I am getting so breathless that I dont fancy any walking and also I would prefer to avoid a cab if possible. But yes, I think I need to go.

I do wear gloves at the moment. It might just help.

ttfn

Colin

Totally agree, its already on my "to do" list for tomorrow.

thanks for the thought

Colin

Hope it goes ahead though. It's a painless test just a bit of cold jelly on your chest in a couple of places and then a probe on top which is used to produce the image of your heart. You might be able to watch it on the computer screen which I think you'd find interesting. It will depend on which way they position you on the bed some have you facing the scanner some facing away from it.

Let us know how you get on

Ann

Hope you will soon get along with your i-pad, I used to use mine quite a lot, it's so versatile.  We have a local butcher who makes deliveries to the villages, I shop there fairly regularly, so I'm sure he'd let me tag on to one of the delivery slots.  We've always had a door-step milk delivery, but I've just seen in the local paper that some people have had their bottles stolen from their step - there really are some horrible people around.  My milk is delivered at about 2.30 in the morning, so I'm not going to get up at that time to grab it off the step! ?

We have recently acquired a ginger beer plant - it's a culture, which needs to be "fed" every day with ground ginger and sugar.  It's absolutely delicious - if a little explosive when the bottles are opened!!  It's pretty much a never-ending supply, so maybe I'll be able to barter with it, when I run short of 'stuff' ?

I have hundreds of lovely daffodils in the garden, time to enjoy them before they start to wilt.

I'm so sad for people who are suffering so much, losing jobs etc, and trying to be grateful for the good things in life.

Take good care, this will pass, we will survive ? xx

Thank you so much.  Have decided to go at 8.00am instead haha!  Hate rushing, so will wash my hair and have a shower soon.  Well done you too!!  Despite not having your glasses, but needs must right now hey??!!

This is our generation's World War, and lovely that people are helping each other - mostly!  Thanks again and power to you too xx

Thanks so much Sue.  One of my lovely friends is also called Sue, so love your name haha!

Really appreciate your kind thoughts.  Will let you know.  This is my first trip out alone, during this!!!  Thanks.  Peace Carole x yes

Let us know how you get on - at least you'll have squeaky clean hair!!  ? ? xx

Got on OK thanks phew!  People all avoiding each other, and it was very quiet when I went in.  Not when I left haha!  There were large stickers on the floor, QUEUE HERE/QUEUE HERE (2 metres apart).  Staff guiding us, as well as security!  No plans to go out, until a week on Friday with my neighbour!  My hair, of course, looked and smelled fab haha!! xxwink

Sue, trip all went v well.  Was quiet when I first went in, though not when I left.  All avoiding each other, at a safe distance, and was glad to get home!  Loved being out in the fresh air again, and getting a bit of exercise, though have no plans to go out until a week on Friday.  I can dance or exercise at home, thankfully!  Hope you are well too.  Peace Carole x smiley

Hi Carole, what a time to take your first trip out alone. You're  one brave lady. Hope it goes well 

Regards Sue

RE-sult!!  Well done - it's a good feeling, lots of relief, you can relax now - hope you got yourself a treat or two - yum, yum ?

? Brilliant, glad it went well.  I'm keeping well, so far, thanks. Just missing getting out and about. We were  hoping to move house soon but I'm not sure it will go ahead, with all of this going on. Will just have to see how it goes ?.

Missing seeing my granddaughters every day  ?. Take care

Regards Sue 

Thanks v much!  Relief, for sure!  Wish I'd got more treats haha!  Did buy potato scones though!  Was more concerned about necessities, like salad.  Still, got what I needed, and will know what to buy in future LOL!  Tasmiley