Coffee drinkers live longer than abstainers

study is the latest in a long line of coffee-related studies to assess the impact of the drink on human health.

Semmelweis University in Budapest and Queen Mary University of London found earlier this year that three cups a day of ground coffee lowered a person’s risk of heart disease or stroke by 17 and 21 per cent, respectively.

A study from Southern Medical University found in May that coffee drinkers live longer than abstainers even if they add sugar to their drink, adding heft to the theory that it doesn’t much matter how you take our coffee, as the drink itself has wide-ranging health benefits.

Dr Duane Mellor, a registered dietitian at Aston University, who was not involved with the new study, said: “This is yet another observational study which has found that moderate coffee consumption (2-3 cups per day) is associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease and related risk of mortality.”

She added that a similar benefit on health has been seen before for tea, so the health benefits may not be coffee-specific, but it could be that the sort of people who drink tea and coffee are also the sort of people to be healthier and live longer lives.

The current trove of studies can not prove a causal link, and Dr Charlotte Mills, Hugh Sinclair Lecturer in Nutritional Sciences at the University of Reading, says there now needs to be randomised clinical trials “to fully understand the relationship between coffee and health”.

The latest findings were published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology.

@mrfrederickson yay…I love my coffee :grin::grin: I had seen a headline about this today. An interesting read thank you for sharing.

I’m never to be parted from my occasional cup of coffee.
I had a couple of heart attacks twenty years ago and survived long enough to have a stroke this year.
I won’t be stopping the cups of coffee, though I won’t be assuming anything either.

What do they say ? ?

Oh yes, a little of what you like does you good.

I won’t be arguing with that.

(sipping my cuppa as I write this)

1 Like

Hoping to get decaffeinated coffee but ground so I can make my own after our kitchen refit

So am I but an occasional coffee drinker going to up my coffee intake after reading that article

Hi. I love my coffee and have no intention of cutting it down. At eighty four years old I think it’s too late to change! Lilian

To those in a state of panic at that head-line I would not hesitate to point out that if you read the relevant data you will discover that findings were similar for tea drinkers too. So if your tipple is ‘a nice cup of tea’ you can breath a sigh of relief, you too are included in the longevity stakes.

Talking about which, I wonder, what was Queen Elizabeth the Second’s tipple? I always hoped she would reach the 100 year anniversary and send herself a congratulatory telegram as is usual. Aah, well, she had a good reign.

Back to my, cuppa.

2 Likes

@Loshy you’re in luck. They said tea had the same effect too. Long lives all around :grin::grin: xx

2 Likes

I drink coffee and tea (Lapsang Souchong is my brew). For the first year after the stroke, I reduced my coffee intake to one cup in the morning, but have since discovered this was having an adverse affect on my brain waking up for the day, so added another cup in the afternoon to my regime, and feel much better for it.

Good plan, it looks like the other parts of the coffee bean outside of caffeine are life sustainable