Chatline

Perhaps this simple little topic may help
Good luck

1 Like

Thanks @Joste, great idea :+1:

Yes like that idea!! Jane.

Good idea
I still can not work the SA site including the forum.

Anyone recently suffering a stroke has no chance of following the forum.
I got so much help and above all so much comfort from the forum Mark 1.
Less help from Mark 2. Now we have Mark 3 and I can’t fathom how it works.
I think you need to be under 12 to have the obscure logic to follow many sites.
Colin

3 Likes

Colin
Please keep on persevering.
Your comments helped me greatly when my son 31 had a stroke.
You gave me hope when I had none, you changed my outlook when I could could see no way forward.
Smile and smile some more has got me through the toughest time in my life.

5 Likes

I like this. I will try to use it. Lilian

Great news let’s hope it makes life easier.
I have been reading posts on this site for over two years but rarely posted .
My youngest son had a stroke affecting his right side severely. You all gave me hope of better things to come and answers to many questions.
Please keep posting you do not realise how valuable your conversations are.
You are all inspirational!

1 Like

Someone mentioned ‘chat’ and I was hoping I’d found a chat forum where I could actually have a conversation with a few people at the same time, but it looks like I’m mistaken.
I’m already a member of a stroke chat forum based in USA and find the experience excellent. Timing is tricky since I’m in New Zealand but it is well worth the effort.
Deigh

Yes, sorry, although it says chat, I have just discovered its not a chat forum, just a topic!!! DO wish we could have the old forum back.
Hope you are doing well in New Zealand, lovely place to live.
Regards,
Jane.

Hi Deigh @Deigh, guess we’re just waiting for someone to start the chat and get the conversation going and we’ll all join in, maybe that could be you :grinning:. I’ve only had a very brief visit to New Zealand (Wellington area, North Island) when I was a child, from what I remember a lovely place.

@jane.cobley, yes this is a topic within the forum but there’s nothing to stop this thread being a place for us to chat about whatever we want.

I’ve had a relatively lazy day today, as it was raining I tried a little exercise indoors instead of going for a walk, a little mini circuit session, not as frenetic as it sounds, I assure you, it consisted of a minute walking on the spot, then a minute of light weights (such as bicep curls) with a rest period in between for a total of 20 minutes. I try to do some sort of exercise each day.

I made some chicken and vegetable broth, very tasty, so that’s lunch sorted for the rest of the week :bowl_with_spoon:

1 Like

Thanks for reply, good idea to use this thread to chat. I so miss our chats that we used to have on the other forum. Weather horrendous today, Gale force winds and torrential rain ( I live in Cornwall ) got water pouring in my conservatory at the moment…great fun!!! Just hoping we don,t lose our electricity, as we did in the last lot…still we were’t as bad as up North, so shouldn’t complain.
Anyway, lovely chatting. Broth sound lovely!!!
Jane.

1 Like

Oh no Jane @jane.cobley, that sounds horrible, your conservatory is not the place for an unplanned water feature.

Whilst we’ve had rain all day, it’s not too windy in my neck of the woods, the lights keep flickering now and again but hopefully the power will hold.

Hi everyone. A good idea using this for a chat. An awful day today, wet and windy. I live in Cheshire and while the weather has been miserable we have not suffered like others. Although I managed to get out this morning I have stayed in all afternoon. I have tried to exercise inside but it is not that same. Lilian

Have visited Wellington on business and also on my way on holiday to the South Island. It is rumoured to be the windiest place in NZ and pilots who regularly land there have grey hair in their forties (So I’m Told) .
Chat means an instant response and requires special programs. To reply here you would have to log on, make your comment and log off, which destroys communication.
For many years (Temporarily interrupted by stroke) I have undertaken a short floor exercise routine before breakfast aimed at keeping waist ,hips and shoulders supple, I end up with 8 pressups, just so I can boast about it!. Getting back up onto my feet afterwards is a cultivated routine and can take some time to accomplish.
Deigh!

Hi Lilian @l_platt pleased to hear you managed to get out this morning, I do enjoy a walk outside. I’ve got a little ‘cabin fever’ myself, though my day has been filled with admin tasks, long waits on the telephone to speak to people, so no exercise for me today unfortunately.

@Deigh I’m envious of your ability to do 8 press ups, I always wanted the upper body strength to accomplish full press ups but unfortunately never achieved it, should have practiced more, had to settle for half press ups. Post stroke… not sure if I could even manage half press ups, but hey it could always be a new goal I set for myself :slightly_smiling_face:. Yes, I appreciate what you say about instant messaging for chats which may work more seamlessly if you use a a mobile or tablet to access the forum and don’t log out as we receive an email to alert us if someone replies to a post but I don’t receive an email if someone mentions me in a post (like I have done with you Deigh, As I replied to Lilian’s post) but it’s still a way to communicate , which I hope you continue to do, something has to be better than nothing after all.

1 Like

Hi Mahoney. Good to hear from you. Chat line is easy for me because I don’t log out. I sympathise with you spending time on the telephone, it seems to always an answer phone or I am in a never ending queue! I have been able to get out in between showers. I wish I could exercise like Deigh but perhaps one day I may be able to do more.Lilian

Hi Lilian @l_platt, I’ve unfortunately had more of the same today, one call I made I was in a queue for 55 minutes and when finally someone answered they said I had come through to the wrong department and I should hang, up dial again choosing option 2, followed by option 2 again, I tried to explain that those were the options I’d chosen and she said oh the auto dial system probably put you through as the other lines were busy but she still couldn’t assist with my issue as she was not in that department… so frustrating, all she could do was send an email for me asking for someone to call me back but the turn around for that was 3 working days. I simply despair at what is happening at the moment.

I agree staying logged in makes it easier, hope you enjoyed your walk :walking_woman:

1 Like

Hi Mahoney, I can not do telephone calls, for more than 5 minutes & put on hold, just hang up . There is now something in brain , that really struggles , if I can not see the person . Tv , strangely, subtitles must be on , not so much my hearing, but just can’t follow conversation. E.mail are best for me , I have TIME , to study , slowly think ,not feel rushed, like sometimes in conversations. Sensory overload, of all sorts, then fatigue, kicks in . Dentist / filling, yesterday, feel shattered , spoiling myself today, bed with electric blanket on . Simple treats . Good talking David.

1 Like

Hi David
Ouch… dentist not my favourite place to visit either, hope you enjoyed your ‘treat day’ with the electric blanket and have recovered well from the filling and the fatigue it caused. I don’t have an electric blanket myself but, in a similar vein, I love the heated car seats being on in the winter months, warmth can be very comforting.

I’m just sitting and resting now, trying to decide if I want to watch TV and if I do, what do I want to watch? Oh decision, decisions

Hello @David3, I am certainly with you on phone calls. I prefer email. Can take time with replies that way, and not have to think on my feet. I use headphones when needing to talk on my mobile, when someone calls, I always tell them that I need to plug my headphones in. I find it a much more comfortable way of having the phone conversation, but have a limited time I can endure with the phone. I am resting too today, went out with other stroke survivors for a Christmas dinner yesterday, had a port wine for pudding, indulgence. A bit more pleasant than visiting a dentist though, but still shattered me today.