Chainsaw chaos!

My husband has come a long way since the stroke in August 2017.  He bought himself a chainsaw a few weeks ago as we have a lot of tree work to be done in the garden.  The thought of him using a chainsaw has really been giving me the heebie-jeebies ?, however we've spent most of last w/end, and today, putting the chainsaw through its paces!!  I think it's his new best friend ??.  His strength and stamina are amazing, but it has taken him over three years to arrive at this point.  Like most SS he's had some terrible days, and dark moments, but he's a fighter and I think being able to tackle a project like this has really boosted his confidence and self-esteem.  So, although we're sitting here like a couple of old crocks, full of aches and pains, there's a massive sense of achievement, (plus lots of free wood for the log-burner!!).

I love hearing the great stories from all the SSs on this site, and you've given me so much hope and encouragement over the years, so I just wanted to be able to share some good news myself!!

Thank you for all of your support, and best wishes to all SSs, friends and families, never give up, stay strong,

love Nic xx

1 Like

Well done Mr NicaBella. I too bought a chain saw. Plus a cutting horse, gloves and a space age helmet and face protector. Arent the chains a devil to fit.

i am busy cutting back five years garden growth. And never ending weeding. But i am so pleased to be freed from the SF that plagued me for years. Next year is going to be a great harvest of fruit and veg.

keep on digging

colin

That is fantastic! Being a fighter is the greatest asset we survivors can have. I see every day as both a chance to improve, but also a day to manage. I still find I can overdo things. We have a few friends coming around tomorrow (under the maximum allowed) and today my tasks were to wash up the breakfast things, take my walk, make a coffee and walnut cake and sausage rolls and finish prepping the evening meal. This took all day, with rests and naps in between.

NicABella, my  most frustrating task is still changing the bed and duvet cover. That is a fight in itself. Achieving ant task boosts confidence, so well done him for tackling the trees. He has come a long way since your first posts.

Nicabella, that is brilliant news to share. Well done to both of you. Hmmmm?? Now then, let me see,,,,,, I must share this news with John. Maybe he'll help me decorate?  Like Colin, his SF seems a little better, too and he has amazed staff other users in the gym tackling speedflex. Our SSs are wonderful. 
take care all of you,

Veronica and John ??

Wow that is such an encouraging post to read. Thank you for that!

Angie

I've still got all of my fingers, toes, and limbs!!  Just want to avoid a chainsaw massacre!!  More lumber-jack work again today, but now more like a Slumber-jack!

Always good to hear what you're getting up to, trying to finish the jobs and put the garden to bed, then perhaps we can do some less challenging tasks!

Take good care ?

Hi John, I've managed to bake a pear and almond cake this morning, in between helping out with the logs!!  Then I decided to make some steak pies - it was just task avoidance, I really didn't want to be near the chainsaw, it scares the life out of me!!  Then, of course, there's always the chore of the duvet changing, which I can never manage to complete without thinking of you!!  You achieve so many things, and I always look forward to hearing your latest news.  The SSs on this site have all found ways to continue with their hobbies and interests, or have found new past-times to work on, it's good to see how lives continue following stroke, every day is special ?

Thanks V&J, we've had another busy day, we've had to pay others to carry out these jobs during the last 3 years, so there's definitely a sense of achievement to be able to do those things again.  However, I'm very wary of the chain saw, and would rather he could use a less menacing piece of equipment - I've warned one of my friends that if I go missing ....... ?

Glad John is less troubled by SF, I think it's such a horrible symptom to cope with.  

My personal lumber-jack is now a Slumber-jack, after all his exertions this morning!  

Take care xxx

Doesnt it take a lot of work to get enough wood for just part of the winter. 
i buy a pallet load most years. Kiln dried. My burner is mostly for show. 
Stacking the logs in to the log store is as much as i could do. 

I try to weed and edge one bed each week. And its about time to harvest the sunflower seeds. Good game,good game. For all the effort that i make, i should have a garden to be proud of. Not so. Its very plain. But i do have the trains go by to watch. We are due new trains any month. That will be exciting.

best wishes

colin

Hi Colin, we usually have logs delivered, but we've had a lot of tree damage this year so we thought we would get some wood ready for next year!!  We're running out of space to put them, even though we had a dedicated wood store built a couple of years ago!!  I've often driven through Switzerland and they take great pride in stacking their wood!!  It's a very competitive exercise - we're definitely not in that league!!

Gardens are like black holes - they just suck all the energy out of us, a garden is never "finished", there's always something to do, your efforts aren't wasted, Colin, just think what the garden might look like without all your hard work ? !!  

I think there are lots of benefits and we're very lucky to have a garden, it was such a sanctuary during lockdown.  I'm neither house nor garden-proud, so I do the minimum (and have a gardener to do the rest!!)  Hopefully as my husband regains his strength and stamina he'll do more in the garden, which I'm sure will be great therapy for him.  

Take good care ?

Hi woodburner! Before I was smitten had bought my Wife battery operated chainsaw for her 70th, what a thoughtful generous husband. Been out of hospital a few months and decided to service it so took it apart gave it a good clean .Was warned my that my processing skills had taken a smack so told to take it easy. Well after much cursing and frustration got it back together. Then took to my bed for two days completely wacked and like a zombie for a few days after.one small problem I’d put the chain on backwards , couldn’t understand why it wouldn’t work. Back to taking it apart apart before penny dropped. Surrounded by coppice and my way of moving gloom on is taking a small folding Japanese Silky saw and felling a few dead poles for woodstove. Can motivate myself to do this even though it exhausts me but moving on to tackle other tasks a problem. Pds

See, @NicABella21, he’s tapped into his inner-viking and conquering some lumber. About four months after the stroke I picked up the brush cutter and let loose on the borders. It was satisfying despite the fact I don’t like using loud machinery. :+1: I hope he goes from strength to strength.