Central post stroke pain

Hi all.
Just wondering when and how central post stroke pain disappears
I suffered my ischemic stroke back in June last year and then in about November I developed the stroke pain. I started off taking amytryptoline which didn’t work so I was put on gabapentin (2, 300mg tablets a day)A bout 4 weeks later still no change, so a couple of weeks ago my dosage was upped to 4 a day
Am I expecting too much to soon? Or should I go back to my doctor? He was confident gabapentin would work. I know it’s kind of trial and error with the medication cos everyone is different but is there anything non prescription I could take or any tips I could do for myself? Like does drinking more fluids etc help? Will the stroke pain ease, go away as my strength condition improves? Or is it I’m kind of stuck with itfor life now?
Frustrating cos I know it’s holding me back in my progress.
Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks :+1: I’ve been told by the stroke association I’ll never get back to hundred percent how I was prior to the stroke, I’m just looking ahead to the next 3 months to be honest and see where I’m at by 21st June, exactly 1 year on from the stroke

1 Like

Is this stroke pain, I hear SS talk about, throughout the body or parts, rather than say just in the head. It was mentioned to me but without any clarity as to what or where which I may or may not experience and that it could be short term or long term. It’s not exactly easy to question anything at all after a stroke when you can’t speak or write.

I developed severe headaches months after my stroke. I was referred to neurology for CT scan but also ENT to have my hearing checked. My vision had already just been checked as I’d already thought that might be caused. But as it turned out, it was my hearing. So now I have hearing aids in both ears and those darn headaches cleared up almost instantly.

I don’t know if any of that could help, but you do know there is always hope for the future. Exercise could still help as we lose a lot of muscle after a stroke just due to the inactivity of it. This can cause some aches and pains in muscles and joints. So a combination of resistance training and stretching would help, yoga/palates is good for that and there are a lot videos for exercises for SS on youtube :smile:

Good luck it your recovery and I sincerely hope the pain diminishes for you soon.

1 Like

I’m not sure CPSP ever disappears completely. I was on high doses of Gabapentin for several years, which helped but also made me very tired, so I came off them. My muscles are more sore as a result, but as long as I stretch and exercise every day the soreness is bearable. Dehydration definitely exacerbates the problem, so keep up your fluid intake.

3 Likes

Thanks. Had a bad painful spell of it yesterday evening. Today not been too bad, infact I’ve just been Tesco with my wife. It’s just like a constant pins and needles, then at any moment the pain can really kick in. Wife is always telling I don’t drink enough water and she’s just bought me some multi vitamins to start taking
I know it’s sounds daft, but prior to the stroke I always used to eat a banana a day and even when I was in hospital. But the last 3 months I’ve stopped eating them. Today I’ve bought some more and going eat them regularly again, and hope this might help with the CPSP :crossed_fingers::grinning:

1 Like

Hi @stokiejoey
If your symptoms are variable them keeping a diary and analysing what you eat, drink, stress, sleep, exercise, meds, bowel etc…over the period some days before symptoms flare ups or down might be worth while. Maybe a combo of things can be contributing?

1 Like

Well, considering pins and needles is one of the symptoms for low potassium, it wouldn’t hurt to try. But I wouldn’t eat too many, maybe one every other day or something as too much potassium can be just as bad as not enough.

1 Like

Thanks again. I’ve just been looking into it and foods that contain potassium like dairy products. I don’t drink milk and never have done, so apart from the occasional yoghurt and bit of cheese I don’t each that much dairy and don’t eat potatoes as much as I perhaps should
Fingers crossed taking vitamins and my bananas again will help.
I can see the physical changes in myself and I know the mental alertness is coming along. I’m observing and noticing a lot of what’s going on around me a as I’m sat in the passenger seat of my wife’s car. My wife said she knew this was a long recovery process last year, but refused and thought it could be an overnight fix, which I obviously now realise it isn’t. I’m now 9 months down the line, I’ve got to be positive and look at where I’ve come so far, be patient, work hard and look after myself and I will reach those goals I’ve set myself in time
Thanks again for all your replies to both my recent posts on here. Really appreciate it :+1:

3 Likes

Has there ever been a single person who somewhat recovered from central post stroke pain?

1 Like

This looks a good resource…

Demystifying post-stroke pain: from etiology to treatment - PMC.

1 Like

Hi Sorry to hear that you are experiencing pain, After stroke pain can be related to a number of factors. Would you kindly give a bit more information. If it is related to spasticity then only medication would not solve the issue, unfortunately, GP’s have only pain killers. It could be how you sit or sleep, which is casing the pain. Please let me know. Kind regards Kusal

Central post stroke pain for me is due to a lesion in the thalmus, which then sends constant stiff, pain signals. Medication does nothing for me, and after a consultation about deep brain stimulation, I’m not too hopeful about that.
Thank you to everyone who responded.

3 Likes

Have you guys seen

Ciao
Simon

1 Like