Carotid Stent

After suffering a stroke four weeks ago, on investigation my right hand side carotid artery was found to be 60 -69% blocked, l/h side clear, I was considered for surgery , not sure of the name of the procedure, but as I had radio therapy on my neck six years ago the consultant wasn’t happy to proceed so I have been recommended for a stent. I am still waiting for a decision whether this is going ahead, am on blood thinners and beta blockers as had high blood pressure, these have helped in lowering it to a much lower level, has anyone else had this procedure?
I am 74, 11 stone and fairly active.

2 Likes

@petejay welcome to the forum although sorry you’ve had a stroke.

I had a carotid artery dissection rather than a blocked carotid artery so didn’t require surgery.

Hopefully someone else on here can answer your question. I just wanted to wrlcome you.

Best wishes

Ann x

1 Like

Hi @petejay welcome to the forum

I had carotid artery dissection on the left side and also didn’t need surgery, @Mrs5K I’m on blood thinners and Atorvastatin which heals the artery. I thought the doctor said I’d only be on these for around 6 months but it’s for life. Hopefully someone will give you the information you need, there’s plenty on here.
Take care

1 Like

@Anav has started a similar post you can at least compare notes with :wink: :smile:

1 Like

I feel your pain i am 57 had my first Tia onset in 2014 on right side second Tia 2017 left side foot drops

2 Likes