Car

DVLA?

First month you must not drive.

After a month it is your decision, but if you are not safe and decide to drive anyway then you are likely to be prosecuted if caught. I am talking about cars not HGVs eyc.

You do not need to contact DVLA.

In fact you dont even have to tell the insurance company.

This surprised me at the time (4 years ago)

You have to tell the DVLA if you have a medical condition that affects your driving. You can be fined 1000 pounds if caught. Plus your insurance would be invalid.

Colin is right that there is no need to inform DVLA (and your insurance) unless your ability to drive has been affected in some way. No driving at all for the first month though. I too was surprised when I researched this after my stroke in 2018. 

Your consultant will have (or should have) told you in the hospital whether your stroke affected your ability to drive.  Mine did not and the consultant told me that whatever I did, do not tell DVLA as it would take ages to get my licence back but she said I would have to inform my insurance company.   If you are in doubt, read Katy's posts on here re her struggle with DVLA!

I did inform my insurance company but they weren't really bothered but have noted it on my file. They said it doesn't affect the premium and as long as a Doctor had told me I could drive after the mandatory wait of one month, they were happy.  They said that thousands of people have strokes every year but for lots of people, it doesn't affect their driving ability.

Dear Janet

I did inform the DVLA and my insurance company. So that was "belts and braces" and it is a sensible thing to do. It is a minefield. I wasnt allowed to drive fore a month but then I was OK and thus didnt have a medical condition that affects driving. Doublespeak. 

Colin