Bonzo & corker?

This time last year my husband was still in hospital following his stroke, and therefore not able to take part in our annual foraging activities - blackberries & apples.  Very happily, he is much better now, so I decided to drag him down the road to go blackberrying.  Being taller than me, he's very useful for reaching the b/berries which are always just too high up.  He was tentative at first, the banks are quite steep, but in the end I just gave him a shove, (and promised to catch him if he fell)!!  He seemed to be ok, and I was aware of him muttering to himself "That's a Bonzo", "Wow, that's a corker"!!  A reference to the size and relative ripeness of the fruit, his own personal grading system.  Doesn't seem very amusing now - maybe you just had to be there - but it kept me amused for about an hour (I'm easily pleased!).  We also managed to dodge some squabbling squirrels who seemed to be using us for target practice with acorns .  Simple pleasures, now we've just got to make a barrel-load of blackberry & apple crumble - pudding anyone?  xxx

I'm very jealous that sounds like a fabulous way to spend an hour. 

Maybe your husband could speak to the local gardening shows and get his grading system formally adopted. I'm sure it's much simpler than the one they currently use.

Hope you have a great time making and eating your puddings.

Kay x

mmm black berry and apple crumble sounds lovely ☺️

I am 2 yrs 8 mnths, started off totally paralysed. Reading about your husband blackberrying struck a chord as I have just been picking the bramley apples in my garden. For apple sauce (roast pork tomorrow) not pies, but I can pick apples. Step ladder and all. 

Thanks for reminding me how much us SS can do.

Colin

haha wish I could send you all a taster!!

We went scrumping .... actually a neighbour had kindly said we could help ourselves to her delicious apples, unfortunately not Bramleys, but they will do for crumbles.  Luckily no step ladder needed, low branches, tall husband - win win laugh

Thanks Colin sounds like we'll both be enjoying the fruits of our labour tomorrow - couldn't avoid the terrible pun blush

x

that’s easy here’s my address ? x

hi Colin I hope you don’t mind me asking this question but how long was it before you were  able to stand and begin to start walking, gary had his stroke 27 weeks ago and although he’s progressing he still can’t walk unaided by his physios

i know everyone is different and I shouldn’t compare him to anyone else but I’m curious that’s all thanks

Dear June

We are indeed all different. I used a crutch for 18 months then a bit longer for security.Two years and I walked without any aids. 3 months I was walking up to a mile. Now the unique bit...Day one..I was truly paralysed. Could only move my right hand and nothing else. Couldnt even sit up so didnt even get in to a wheelchair. Then on day 3 an amazing recovery started. I crawled to the foot of my bed and sat with my feet on the floor. It was about 5am so the nurses didnt notice for a few minutes. Physios came at 9am, all five of them. I stood up and walked out the ward and along the corridor. Staggered and did have the physios to catch me, but I walked. All I can say is that it was a miracle and doesnt seem consistent with anyone else. My cognitive problems are worse than most. So perhaps the two things counterbalance. Walking in the early months was fits and starts and there were extreme relapses.

I was fairly fit and not overweight. This helped a lot. I still ache very badly after any exercise. Like picking apples !

SF is my bugbear. I just dont know how to fix it. The physical stuff I could work out what to do. I knew my limbs were not damaged, just the messaging system, and I knew I had about two years before he muscles would deteriorate.

We are all different.

Colin

thanks colin

i know it’ll happen I think I’m worried because I can see he’s trying and wants to walk it’s just so frustrating for him 

Forgive me if this is obvious.....can he move every limb and digit ? If yes then wiggle all digits, lift each limb. Then do it again and then a third time. This can be done when seated. Or even lieing down. It will keep the messaging system open. Then it will be less difficult when he comes to make the huge effort to walk etc.

I walked very early. However, joints and tendons(?) did not want to join in the fun. Particularly ankles. Repetitive movements will keep everything oiled.

The day the ankles joined in the fun was just wonderful. I can clearly picture being outside and, for the first time since stroke, the ankles allowed me to turn around. Before that , getting over a threshold was lovely. It was two years before I could do the thresholds with certainty.

Lots of delights blocked the way. Gout. Flat feet. Dizzy spells even giddy spells. And no doubt other things I cant recall.

I get a bit deflated about this time of year. Another summer has passed and I still need to imprve. I try to think of cosy winter days with the log burner frying us all and then I can catch up on paperwork and reading.

Be positive.

Smile a lot.

He is not alone.

Colin

Hi Colin, I had similar ambivalent feelings yesterday - it was lovely to be together in the sunshine picking berries, but those symbols of impending Autumn and Winter days kept creeping up on me!  

Last year we did quite a lot of walking during the winter months, which seems quite bizarre, as the weather in Norfolk was pretty bad.  Since this spring & summer, we've hardly walked at all.  So I tried to console myself by thinking maybe we will get out and get a bit physically stonger to compensate for the darker time of year.  

Thank you for more anecdotes about your recovery, thresholds in unfamiliar situations always worry me, in case my husband doesn't see them in time.  Like you he finds his reactions are not as quick as they could be and he has to 'plan' actions such as turning. The worst thing is when he's trying to look at something but insists on continuing to walk - he then just wobbles all over the place!  Heyho.

Now I've got to get on with peeling apples and making crumbles - yummy!!  

Have a good day

It’s all his left side he can’t move even standing has to be assisted by me 

His right side is pretty strong but not quite there to walk

i know I’m asking a lot of questions but I think it’s my way of keeping strong if I hear enough stories about other people succeeding..thanksforreplyinIenjoyhearing 

Hi June, 

The physio who has been helping me recover says that the even thinking about moving a limb is enough to start the process. 

When the nerve impulses aren't strong enough to allow the perfect movement just thinking of your arm or leg doing the task is a start.

I also used to do the movement with my left hand or leg showing my right side what I wanted it to do.  Talking to the affected side again telling it what I ultimately wanted it to do.

Maybe I looked as mad as a March hare but it worked. 

Hang in there it will happen just takes time that's what I am. But it is very frustrating. 

Kay x

thanks kay

very good advice there and it makes sense... I’m going to have a talk with gary now and see if we can get those limbs to listen to us 

thanks again x

A pleasure it worked for me.