Back to work

Share your story
optional tags

Hello,

I am very new to the group and have been reading lots of wonderful advice and reading lots of people’s stories and it’s really helping me. I had a stroke in October 22. I think I found it hard and still find it hard as after lots of scans, there wasn’t a reason for it and the bleed happened deep inside my brain. I was just wondering if anyone had any similar stories and how they dealt with it. I went into work in December to have lunch and a catch up. I am starting to do a few hours at home on the computer next week. I just worry as I know at the moment I can’t take a lot of information in, and I was doing very well before Christmas but seem to be a lot more tired now and my fitness is not as good. I feel like I have gone backwards this month. Thanks for reading I look forward to seeing other people’s views and stories xgojjg

1 Like

@App1 hi , yeah it’s daunting. My stroke was back of head cerebellar . I still get tired and fatigued and I’m 22 months post.
Not sure how old you are but I ended up leaving my job at school as I couldn’t take the noise.
I hope it all works out well next week but remember to take your time. As fatigue can creep up and wipe you out. So listen to your body.
Lots of luck loraine :blush:

3 Likes

Hi Loraine,

Thank you for replying :heart: I am 41 and been at my company 12 years. I started a new role last year which is full time. My company have been amazing and said we are governed by me and will do anything to help me on my road to recovery so I am very lucky with their support. I do worry as my new role is a lot of building and implementing a new Health and Safety system.

1 Like

@App1 please don’t take on too much ease yourself slowly. You’re quite young I was 59 at the time of my stroke. Was yours cerebella?

1 Like

@App1 sounds like you have a supportive employer but please take it steady & make sure you get plenty of rest too. Fatigue can creep up on you & you don’t want to go backwards. It’s very early days for you yet. I have been off 13 months now & will be returning in next few weeks but only part time initially.

Best of luck.

Ann xx

2 Likes

Thank you :heart: yes I am trying to listen to my body more now. It’s very hard isn’t it when it comes out of the blue and very frustrating as I haven’t been able to drive. I have been given the all clear now from my consultant. I am so used to being the one who is very independent and organises everyone :joy:. I am not sure what it was called it was the back of my head behind my left ear. It effected my arms and kegs on the left., but my right eye i cousins see. It is my visual field, but a lot of the sight has come back just blurred vision now xx

1 Like

Hi @App1

Go easy on yourself is what I would say, if you over exert your still healing brain will bite back and let you know so.
I’m self employed, so I have a need to earn tempered with my need to recover, a few months back I wrote out myself an honest apprisal of what my “capacity” was, it sort of helped me to be meausred in my own expectations and goals going into the end of our tree season ( a very busy time for us) it helped.
I wouldn’t push, take it easy on yourself, as hard as you may find that, whatever capactity you had previously, may not, is highly unlikely to be, the same, let yourself find your new levels and seriously respect them. I did myself no favours trying hard to be the person I was on January the 9th 2021 and not acknowledging how different the new version of me was on January the 10th.

Take care, and if you feel yourself hitting the limiter, stop, acknowledge it and respect it, else it will bite you back. Nothing is more imortant now than giving yourself the time to heal and adjust, certainly not work.

Kindest Regards
Al

2 Likes

Hi Ann,

Thank you for your reply :heart: I hope you are doing well on your recovery. I do put a lot of pressure on myself as I feel I should be over it by now. I have come along way and couldn’t even read anything in hospital. I am so pleased to have been added to this group and realise that it is still early days. I just want to feel normal again like my old self I am guessing it will just stake some time xx

1 Like

Hi Al,

I hope you are doing well on your recovery? I haven’t read too much about strokes and to be honest find it hard sometimes to even admit I had one, as I have always been independent and asking for help I find difficult as I have always been the one help others😀

1 Like

@App1 i think we all were. I was pretty fit and running around like a crazy person full time job at school looking after my grandchildren 3 nights a week when I got home. Going for a run, skiing and much more. I’ve accepted version 2 now as I know I cannot do half I used to. I still have my driving license but the stroke has had some knock on effects so I don’t trust myself to drive anymore. Hubby is supportive and my chauffeur now too. Keep going you will get there :hugs:

2 Likes

@App1 i was like you at the beginning. Thought I’d be back at work a few weeks after my stroke. After pushing myself too hard & ending up back in hospital I then realised it was going to take much longer. Everyone is different but I would say build back up gradually. Perhaps get your employer to do an occupational health report to see if any adjustments could be put in place. As an example my employer is providing softwate that will read to me & check for mistakes etc. Like you I was unable to read after my stroke…it’s better now but not where i’d like it to be.
Finding the balance between pushing yourself & resting is vital. Acceptance of the new you is also important.
Best wishes.

Ann xx

2 Likes

@App1 it’s a fine line to balance the fatigue against activity. It’s all too easy to push yourself too hard, too quickly and be wiped out with fatigue. It’s only been a few months for you so be gentle and kind to yourself. Rehabilitation following stroke takes time.

It’s wonderful you have a supportive employer, take the return to work in easy stages, phased return but keep speaking to your employer and let them know how you are finding things, you may find you need to rest/take more frequent breaks during your workday.

Best wishes

3 Likes

Morning,

Thats exactly how ive been so sensitive to noises this something that settles with time.

Ive only been off work 2 months and was thinking of returning next month, but told its far too soon, i dont want ro rush either.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Morning,

Thats just how i was, really difficult to talk and like you say admit it.

But each day seems to get better, think we have to accept, we can’t run round at 100 miles an hour anymore.

Good luck in your recovery.

:blush:

2 Likes

Shwmae @App1, for the first six months after stroke, the brain necessitates neuroplasticity, this is a period of self-repair. During this period, as you go about your daily cognitive business, the brain is very active. It might seem sometimes that things are improving rapidly but it is, in fact, like being in hyperdrive for a period. After six months, this self-repair curbs, things get harder because the brain switches back to regular operation and trials its repair. Then it is up to you to encourage it to form new pathways that it couldn’t form during the self-repair. This can make cognitive tasks more taxing, and as the brain improves, tasks become more challenging as it pushes itself harder.

As an addendum; If you over exert the brain during those six months of repair, it can’t necessarily make the repairs it needs to make, so it can leave residual issues that are even tougher to overcome in the long run. It’s part of the boom-bust cycle, every stroke survivor should avoid.

2 Likes