Asking about my dad

Hi, my dad had a massive stroke 2 weeks ago. He lives off grid so we worked out he could have been lying after his stroke up to 2 days before being found. I visited him last Monday, he recognised and cried a lot, he took 2 mouthfuls of food. I visited him Saturday and I can see a decline, he wasn’t aware I was there, he’s now not swallowing at all and has a feeding tube, he has pneumonia but is in target with that… he can’t talk or move, his left side has been affected… my questions are… is it normal for a person to decline? And is he more likely to get pneumonia again now he’s had it once? I feel like he’s gone so downhill that he will struggle to get through this…. He’s 69. Hope you don’t mind me asking as I can’t get any answers with the hospital

2 Likes

@Broneirian welcome but sorry to hear your dad has had a stroke.

It is possible for a bit of a decline before recovery starts but everyone is different & a lot will depend on the seriousness & type of stroke.

I think you need to press the drs for answers so you know what you’re dealing with. Sometimes you have to make a nuisance of yourself.

Wishing you both all the best.

Ann x

1 Like

I spoke to the doctor briefly last week on the phone, she said he has had a massive stroke to the left side of his brain. I asked if he would walk again, she replied “that’s unlikely” she said we will take it week by week and we discussed a peg feed which I said my dad would hate. I wish now I’d asked more questions because I have so many.

1 Like

@Broneirian as @Loshy has said make a list of questions & go back to them again. They are very good at giving you badic info but that usually just raises more questions.

Keep making a nuisance of yourself until you have the answers you need.

Good luck.

Ann x

2 Likes

So I rang the hospital today, they said that my dad was very poorly last night having seizures! I told them that if this ever happens again they should ring me… they were waiting for his urine test to see if he has uti which may have caused the seizures… I asked what type of stroke he had and I couldn’t understand what she said, so I asked if it was a common stroke and she said yes…. Is it normal to have seizures with a uti??

1 Like

Yes, UTS’s can cause seizures according to everything I’ve read on the internet.

(Febrile seizures)
They are triggered by fever typically above 101 degrees Fahrenheit (38.3 degrees Celsius) . Seizures may happen during illnesses such as a cold, the flu, or an ear infection.

The UTI would have caused a high temperature.

1 Like

People think that we let other gets upset no it’s our health or maybe shouldn’t eat.