Aphasia getting worse

But don't forget turning the compost heap when it's raining would cool the heap and stop or slow down all the good work already done.  So good gardening sense not avoiding anything.  Have a good day ?

Kay - I'm ashamed to say that I haven't emptied my work-top compost bin onto the pile in the garden, it's absolutely overflowing!!  I couldn't squeeze another apple pip into it!!  I'll have to eat all the compost until I can face trudging down the soggy garden!!  As for turning it, that doesn't happen unless our lovely gardener does it ? But I'll definitely quote your advice, it's like being on Gardeners Question time - good tip ? 

Ssssshhh (apparently you should add amonia to the heap - I don't want to be explicit on this site, but I'm not going to do that either!!!   ??)  xxx

Buy another compost bin!!! Problem solved xx ??

We are getting rain here too! Yesterday it rained all day, quite remarkable for New Zealand! Today we are getting dry spells.

Santa visited overnight, he didn't leave anything special but I know he was here because the milk and cookies were gone!

I understand what you are saying about sticking to things, it is easy to give up but my main problem is forgetting to adhere to my plans. I should whistle all the time when walking but forget! There are finger exercises I should do regularily but don't.

Have a great Xmas.

Deigh

Hi my Dad had a stroke in 2014 and his speech has declined in the last 12 months.He is avoiding conversation as it is so difficult for him to get his words out.Does anyone know of a communication device he could use.I have seen one on line by a company called Voiceonics but it is £1600.We tried an Ipad app but he has never used a computer and finds it too difficult to operate.Thanks Julie

Hang in there Julie - don't part with any pennies yet, someone on this site will offer you advice.  I seem to remember various suggestions to a similar request, so keep checking ?

Hi Julie

Sorry to hear about your dad's stroke and that his speech has been affected. I will do a bit of research for you regarding a communication device for your dad and send over what I have found.

Vicki

Hi Julie,

I’m both a Stroke Survivor and former volunteer for the Stroke Association. I did not have aphasia, fortunately, but often used a tablet or laptop with Aphasia sufferers. I did not use an app of any kind but instead just Google searched for everyday objects or animals, gesturing as to what they were and saying the words, then repeating this in multiple sessions. Over time, it’s amazing what people can learn to recognise and name.

once the names are familiar, you can ask questions about the things, again gesturing to help the person use non-verbal cues. All of this costs nothing at all and I have seen it work and help many survivors. Just interacting with the Stroke Survivor makes a huge difference and their confidence will slowly grow, especially as both you and they see that progress can be made.As with so much of Stroke recovery, where there is a will, there is a way.

Also, if you are in the UK, get in touch with the Stroke Association to see if there is a support group nearby. Just meeting and interacting with other Survivors can be hugely helpful and in five or ten years a lot of great progress can be made.

Good Luck to you both,

Damian

It can be difficult to process language at speed and I understand why you might feel it is easier to avoid conversations.  It is important to keep communicating with other people - gesture, using key words and pictures, drawing, speaking as much as you can as this helps the brain to develop new pathways.  Do you carry a card explaining that you have aphasia and asking people to speak slowly and give you time to answer?  It may help for you to get involved with a Speakability or Aphasia group.  Where are you based?  If you feel that your language is getting worse you should ask your GP to refer you for a speech therapy assessment - they should be able to support you and offer therapy exercises to help.  Recovery is different for everyone with Aphasia.  It is very important to keep trying as without regular practice it's hard to make progress.

Hi Julie, hope you don't mind me asking a bit more about your dad's communication difficulties.  I understand how frustrating it can be - my father also had a stroke and language challenges. I wonder if your dad has been assessed by a speech and language therapist.  If not, it would be worth asking the GP to make a referral on the basis that his speech has declined.  If the problem is aphasia, there are a number of therapy exercises and devices that can help.  I would not buy anything until he has been assessed and I would ask the speech therapist to recommend the right tool for your dad.  Worst case, it would be better to pay for a private speech assessment and get the right solution.  Whilst it can be hard for people to get used to tablets and smartphones it usually gets easier good support and daily practice. There are a number of 'type to speech' resources and low or no cost so do get speech therapy advice. 

Hi Lyn,

I had my Stroke in 2010 and, for the past four years have travelled internationally with work, often alone and at times every month. I  haven't done so yet with my family away from Work but there is no reason you can't live much of the life you used to have.

Plan for it, get any medications you need organised and this can be YOU!

Damian

Hi Melanie thanks for replying.We have started paying a private speech therapist which does help but after a day he reverts back again.I will ask her about devices though thats is a good idea.I will also google type to speech and see what come up.Thanks again for taking the time to reply x

Hi Damian thank you for taking the time to reply.Yes that sounds a great idea I will get the family involved also.Yes we are in the UK so will look at that also-thanks again x

Thank you :)

Thank you :)

Hi Damien, 

Thank you for your reply, that’s really encouraging to hear, I am feeling more positive and now want to travel again as it was such a big part of our lives since we retired , I really want to get that back, my husband and I loved going on cruises and are now discussing the various options to go on a cruise this year, so thanks to inspiring and positive thoughts and comments from yourself and others on this forum, I can look forward to carrying on cruising .

Lyn x

Sorry Damian , misspelt your name, Lyn