Any man hobbies.?

I know you will probably simply say no, but how about trying doing a jigsaw?
It’ll keep your grey cells turning over and will provide a distraction for an hour or so.
You might not think it is a good idea, but think of of it as a discipline, making yourself do something.
Pick something ‘too easy’ for a start, don’t overburden yourself with it. Look for big chunky bits and not too many of them. There are such things on offer in the charity shops. It might lead to other stuff, at least you’ll be making a start.
I know it in’t a ‘manly pursuit’ but we aren’t trying to strike a pose, we just need interesting diversions.
It is something you can try for ten minutes then come back later to do a bit more.

Of course you could, like Roy in Coronation Street, turn into a full blown ‘train spotter’!!

It is up to you. If I have any other ideas I’ll post here.

2 Likes

You could try this online if this link will work. (This link works for me. Let me know if it will for you.)

HINT: try to find the edge pieces first (the bits with a flat edge)
There are instructions - press the question mark thingy.

However. Using actual real jigsaw pieces will help co-ordination, sensory awareness, movement and so on.

1 Like

The online Jigsaw game can be set up and played in multi-player mode if anyone would like to give it a go with others.
It is quite satisfying to complete a jigsaw.

1 Like

I make jigsaws. Found it good for getting use of my arm back. I’ve always made them so is something I enjoy. After my stroke I started just by moving pieces from the box base to the lid with my affected arm. It took me 6 months to complete my first one. The one I am doing now has taken 2 months so far. Worth a try maybe ?

3 Likes

What about building bird cage kits or other wood items, like hanging key holders, kids’ toys, etc.? Then donate what you make to any kid’s group or team, church , or charity to be sold in a sale, or fund raiser.? Are your hands steady enough for wood carvings? to be donated also. Grow succulents or other plants in very small pots that can be donated and sold at church bazaars–(create your own mini-nursery). I do crossword puzzles non-stop. I don’t know what I’'d do without them. But that is a totally selfish activity. I know how you feel about wanting to help others. I am planning to knit or crochette hats and then donate them to people going through cancer treatment. I know that’s not a “man’s hobbie”, but who says men can’t do those things? Well, those are just some of my thoughts. If I think of anything else, I’ll let you know. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

2 Likes

Have you thought about joining in some of the Stroke Association online activities? You can email them on online.activities@stroke.org.uk and they will register you.
There are lots of different sessions & you can do as many or as few as you want to. There are things like info sessions on stroke, quizzes, genealogy sessions, exercise sessions plus others. Attended by other stroke survivors all with varying affects. I am joining my first session this morning. I think it will help me feel less lonely whilst hubby is at work. Worth a thought?

2 Likes

@Mrs5K I too will be on that session this morning. It looks interesting, doesn’t it?

@Bobbi Sure does. I’ll see you there :grin:

1 Like

@Mrs5K Hilary (my wife and carer) does not seem to have the details. Hmm.
I’m sure there was a meeting for us this morning.

@Bobbi There is. I’ve just had the details through on email. Have you got them now?.

1 Like

@Mrs5K Yeh, no worries. I get into panic mode very readily :smiley: :crazy_face:
So gonna get a little breakfast and see you there :grin:

1 Like

Hi David,
I have found online scrabble very helpful- you use your brain but just in small bites also Wordle and when you are a bit more mobile gardening is rewarding.Good luck

2 Likes

I read each day. At first, like you, I struggled with it, but it got easier the more I did it. I have a Kindle, which definitely makes reading easier as I can enlarge the font size. I also listen to audiobooks. Have you thought of that?

I was also a manual worker, first as an engineer and then latterly in property maintenance. Luckily I have a fully equipped shed with all the woodworking tools you’d need to start making things. I’ve got all the good ideas but not yet the strength or motivation to start.

So, what I have just started is an online Qigong course, that I’m really enjoying. Each Thursday I get emailed the next lessons to watch and learn. I’m only on my third week. I’m hoping it’s really going to benefit my health and enable me to get down to that shed, at last.

Finally, I wouldn’t call it a hobby but I do all the housework so that my wife can just focus on work. I do a bit here and there throughout the day and rest in between and what would normally be done in a day takes a week, but so what. Time is something I do have :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi David3 and other folk, Met a chap locally who was recovering from bad accident he’d had eight years ago, first thing he said to me was keep faith that things improve, not dramatic, but enough for him to rejoice ! The last year he’s been carving/ whittling small toys from lime wood.He has a two bladed small folding carving tool. Think there is help online/Utube and he’s progressed from basic penguins to mythical woodland figures and his grandchildren love them as they got fed up with penguin’s. May give it a try myself Pds

1 Like

as lame as it sounds, jigsaw puzzles help the brain. painting by numbers .helped me too concentrate more. in small doses can be quite therapeutic. get some self drying clay and build something.
hope that’s a start for you.

1 Like

Hi I find Wordle quite stimulating also Try quordle, octordle and word hurdle as well.Lilian

2 Likes

I’ve been doing Wordle every day, since finding it. It’s sort of habit forming. Very fun. And I’m getting better with practice. Jeanne

I am glad you are enjoying it. Please try the others I have suggested, I think you should enjoy them too. Love Lilian.

I have been doing wordle & quordle too. I enjoy word games a lot. Will have a look at the others too.

1 Like

hello David3, I hope things are improving for you and maybe you are being enabled to get out and about a bit. We have a local “Men in sheds” and I’m wondered if someone was to help you get to one whether you could share your expertise with those wanting to learn. As a crafter I find it difficult to craft now but have a well stocked “library” and like minded ladies (not exclusive) come monthly to make cards which get sold for charity and I can offer advice and guidance as well as lending items for them to try out.
Don’t forget that by sharing on here and elsewhere you will already be helping someone else. all the best.

2 Likes