Any man hobbies.?

Any ideas appreciated. Unfortunately rather limited. Not very mobile. Can’t go out. Brain struggles now with reading. Used to be builder. But always, wanted to do something that might help others. Feel like, shrinking into, very small world. Hope you’re all good. I am ready with fan & dark room. :grin: . David.

2 Likes

Not really got any thoughts for man hobbies given I’m female but have you thought about something like volunteering to be a “buddy” for others who are housebound or lonely. I think you can do this over the phone…just call up & chat. People would really appreciate. I think our local council coordinates things like this.

1 Like

@David3
Use your internet device to communicate here and elsewhere for a start.
Look at what your abilities will let you do.
Get involved with others if you are able.
Get used to a simple level of expectations.

I do sympathise, being also one who had skills I can no longer make use of.
I try to avoid wallowing in ‘what cannot be’ and aim as best as I can to live in a world of ‘what can be’.
It does not matter who you are, where you are, you will always have to deal with limitation, it is tough but you just have to

keep on keeping on.

Mrs5K has an excellent suggestion there !! Doing something that will make you feel you are of value is a very good option.

1 Like

Hi David. We are ready and will have dark rooms, closed doors plus the house has five fans. These were bought over the last few years. Bet you can’t buy one this week without it costing a lot.

I have never had man hobbies but,like you, cannot do any of the reading I used to. I try to make myself useful on this forum but my main outlets are cooking and baking. One thing you might try is bread making. It takes time, but uses strength to knead dough and, provided you get a reasonable result, is better than any mass produced bread. I use a food processor with dough hooks to do a great deal ofthe mixing, because kneading with one hand is a bit difficult.

One thing I learnt to do is look more closely at the small world around me…birds, bees, insects and flowers. I also try to keep in touch with family and friends. I content myself with what I call ‘the small things of every day’. I’m sure you have worked hard all your life and, like me, never expected such a drastic change in lifestyle. No point crying though, or feeling depressed. That changes nothing.

I also find wordle quite stimulating. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea from Mrs5k. I know Age Uk have a similar scheme, it might be worth giving them a ring.

3 Likes

I used to do alot of walking - countryside, coastal, hills and mountains. 95% of that is no longer possible. However I still manage to do some ‘virtually’ with the help of this excellent Google maps app that I have on here. I have been to some wonderful places without moving from my chair! It certainly helps to keep my mind active.

2 Likes

Thanks, good idea, brain needs to improve a bit yet . Terrible with telephone, at present. David.

1 Like

Thanks Bobbie, you’re good at wording things well. David.

1 Like

Hi John, Yes quite OK, sitting in garden, watching various. Didn’t have hobbies pre stroke, just Didn’t get football, cars etc. Baking I understand your speciality, I am spoilt by my expert wife . Good speaking David.

1 Like

I know you will probably simply say no, but how about trying doing a jigsaw?
It’ll keep your grey cells turning over and will provide a distraction for an hour or so.
You might not think it is a good idea, but think of of it as a discipline, making yourself do something.
Pick something ‘too easy’ for a start, don’t overburden yourself with it. Look for big chunky bits and not too many of them. There are such things on offer in the charity shops. It might lead to other stuff, at least you’ll be making a start.
I know it in’t a ‘manly pursuit’ but we aren’t trying to strike a pose, we just need interesting diversions.
It is something you can try for ten minutes then come back later to do a bit more.

Of course you could, like Roy in Coronation Street, turn into a full blown ‘train spotter’!!

It is up to you. If I have any other ideas I’ll post here.

2 Likes

You could try this online if this link will work. (This link works for me. Let me know if it will for you.)

HINT: try to find the edge pieces first (the bits with a flat edge)
There are instructions - press the question mark thingy.

However. Using actual real jigsaw pieces will help co-ordination, sensory awareness, movement and so on.

1 Like

The online Jigsaw game can be set up and played in multi-player mode if anyone would like to give it a go with others.
It is quite satisfying to complete a jigsaw.

1 Like

I make jigsaws. Found it good for getting use of my arm back. I’ve always made them so is something I enjoy. After my stroke I started just by moving pieces from the box base to the lid with my affected arm. It took me 6 months to complete my first one. The one I am doing now has taken 2 months so far. Worth a try maybe ?

3 Likes

What about building bird cage kits or other wood items, like hanging key holders, kids’ toys, etc.? Then donate what you make to any kid’s group or team, church , or charity to be sold in a sale, or fund raiser.? Are your hands steady enough for wood carvings? to be donated also. Grow succulents or other plants in very small pots that can be donated and sold at church bazaars–(create your own mini-nursery). I do crossword puzzles non-stop. I don’t know what I’'d do without them. But that is a totally selfish activity. I know how you feel about wanting to help others. I am planning to knit or crochette hats and then donate them to people going through cancer treatment. I know that’s not a “man’s hobbie”, but who says men can’t do those things? Well, those are just some of my thoughts. If I think of anything else, I’ll let you know. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

2 Likes

Have you thought about joining in some of the Stroke Association online activities? You can email them on online.activities@stroke.org.uk and they will register you.
There are lots of different sessions & you can do as many or as few as you want to. There are things like info sessions on stroke, quizzes, genealogy sessions, exercise sessions plus others. Attended by other stroke survivors all with varying affects. I am joining my first session this morning. I think it will help me feel less lonely whilst hubby is at work. Worth a thought?

2 Likes

@Mrs5K I too will be on that session this morning. It looks interesting, doesn’t it?

@Bobbi Sure does. I’ll see you there :grin:

1 Like

@Mrs5K Hilary (my wife and carer) does not seem to have the details. Hmm.
I’m sure there was a meeting for us this morning.

@Bobbi There is. I’ve just had the details through on email. Have you got them now?.

1 Like

@Mrs5K Yeh, no worries. I get into panic mode very readily :smiley: :crazy_face:
So gonna get a little breakfast and see you there :grin:

1 Like