Anxiety

@annewaggott1 welcome although sorry you’ve had a stroke. Very similar time to me by sounds of it. Anxiety is really difficult to control at times. I was a born worrier but after losing my dad 3 years ago I realised that most of my worries weren’t really worries at all. I guess it focused my mind on what’s important. I now try not to worry about things I can’t change and focus my attention on the things I can change. Not easy but worth a try?
Wishing you well on your recovery journey.
Best Wishes
Ann x

Thank you for your good wishes. This is a wonderful forum full of daring people. Sorry to say I have started the day badly and am now worried and tense. I will try to take an early walk and see if that helps. I hope you have a good, peaceful day. An.

Sorry. It should read caring people. , not daring people.

@annewaggott1 sorry to hear you’ve had a bad start to the day. A walk may be just what you need to reduce your anxieties. This forum is fill of caring people so please reach out. There’s usually someone around who can help.
I have a good friend who is the worst worrier I have ever met. She eventually went to see a counsellor who advised her to keep a worry diary. She had to write all her worries in this diary & then she was allowed to spend half an hour each day “worrying” about the things in the diary & then shut it up and do something nice. Part of the half hour she had to spend crossing out all the things she couldn’t change & then thinking of what she could do to ease the others. It seemed to work for her & possibly worth a try? She still worries but she copes with it a lot better.
Filling your day with things you enjoy is also a coping strategy too. I know stroke sometimes doesn’t allow this as we would like. I have started writing poetry where I can write about my feelings. @Loshy does painting by numbers which she finds relaxing. Others do colouring (including me), baking etc.
Hope your day gets better. Sorry for the ramblings xxx

2 Likes

My husband is currently feeling very depressed. He doesn’t like his life at the moment and feels he has nothing to look forward to. OT have arranged for a psychologist to see him on Wednesday. I hope this helps as it affects me too and I am struggling to help him.

@H5JHR I really hope the psychologist can help. It is so difficult to accept that we’ve changed as individuals especially as it is caused by an event out of our control. Hopefully the psychologist will help with some acceptance so he can find a way forward & embrace the new him which I’m sure has many good points too.
Best wishes xxxx

That’s good news it must be so hard for you to deal with the situation. Has your husband been prescribed any medication for his low mood? It might help along with any counselling that hopefully will be offered after Wednesday’s visit.

Thank you for taking the time and care to send me a message full of such good advice which I shall try to follow.