Anticoagulants and Stomach Problems

I seem to be having quite a bit of trouble with the side effects of the anticoagulants I was prescribed after a stroke back in September. I was first put on Dabigatran which was fine for a week or so but which then started causing, well I’ll quote the warning on the leaflet, “may cause loose or liquid bowel movements”. Quite so, and to the latter end of that spectrum which resulted in rather rapid weight loss.

My GP took me off that and I am now on Apixaban. This is certainly an improvement, for which I was very grateful, but (my apologies for the detail) I am now left with more or less constant ‘ordinary’ diarrhea. Not something I am that keen about if, presumably, I will have to take anticoagulaants for life.

I have no idea whether this is a common experience and something I should just come to terms with. I see that there are a number of anticoagulants available. Does anyone have any experience of which ones have proved least problematic on this count?

1 Like

Hi GG – I have been on apixiban for 3 years now. It doesn’t affect me at all–except I bruise easier. Is it possible that your system has not calmed down yet from taking the Dabigatran? It may take a few weeks for that to happen and for your body to adjust to the new medication. Also, ask your doctor if there are certain foods you could eat that would help “solidify” things. I think bananas (not green ones) are supposed to be good for that. I know when my doctor tried various medications on me, it took me weeks (or a couple of months or so) for my system to acclimate. My best to you. :slightly_smiling_face:Jeanne

Hello Alan,

Thanks for replying, your comments are actually very helpful! I’ve now found the thread you mention on allergy reactions and other post stroke changes to eating habits. I definitely like your thought of a food diary to try and identify what helps and what doesn’t. Started one this morning so that’s one result already.

Nor was I familiar with the notion of the Brain-Gut Axis before so that is something else I will follow up.

Best regards

David

1 Like

Hello Jeanne,

Thank you for replying. I think you may well be right that I possibly haven’t yet given the Apixaban time to settle down to the new routine from where the Dabigatran had taken me. I am very pleased to hear that Apixaban is now working well for you. That gives me some hope! I have been taking it now for just over two months and, as I say, it is showing some improvement. Given your experience I am now hoping that this is still part of the ‘rattling over the points’ period from one medication to another, and that it may improve as time goes on.

Best regards

David

Hello Jeanne. Sorry to hear your news on blood thinners. I was actually on Warfarin when I had my stroke 5 years ago. Not supposed to happen but it did. I was immediately put on Apixiban and have never had any problems with it. It sure beats having weekly blood tests and being very careful with diet and alcohol consumption. Not that I drink now due to AF & pacemaker. I agree it may take time for your system to adjust and diet does come into it. Hopefully they told you about not eating grapefruit & such things as sprouts or spinach etc. I actually had to stop eating bananas due to them bunging me up. I’m afraid it’s a bit of trial and error when it comes to medication.