Altered speech

Am going for my first appointment with the stroke clinic on the 7th February, hopefully they can explain things ?

I had a stroke in September, before this I could sleep for England and even though only 41 enjoyed a nap in the day ? post-stroke I wake several times a night, not usually for very long and even though I get days where I feel so tired cannot manage to have a nap ? xx

Dear Dizzy

I reckon that good night time sleep (sleepy sleep) is pretty much vital to allow us to recover. I also take daytime naps when the stroke fatigue kicks in (stroke sleep). Maybe you are a bit more complex because your sleepy sleep has always included day time naps. Maybe you can start to identify stroke sleep from sleepy sleep. I love the stroke sleep. Deep,sleep with no dreams and awaken refreshed. None of the yawning etc that I get from sleepy sleep.

I took months to get my regime on to regular night sleep. I need 7.5hrs night sleep, but we are all different. Without my 7.5hrs I dont get recovery. So I find it quite important to sleep well. It has paid dividends.

Perhaps you could try some relaxation techniques. This fills in nicely when we need rest but cant sleep.

And do remember to smile. That fools the brain into believing all is well. False, fake or forced smiles are good.

Best wishes

Colin

I will indeed smile more Colin ?

I think my trouble is I've always worked nights and still do so my poor brain doesn't know what it's doing at the best of times!