Alcohol

My husband has been taking Clopidogrel following his stroke last August.  He hasn't touched a single drop of alcohol since he's been on this particular medication.  We're not great consumers of alcohol, but have always enjoyed a few glasses of wine from time to time.  Is it a complete "No-No" to drink alcohol post-stroke and when taking medication?  I don't think he'll ever drink much, but it would be nice to have a glass or two for special occasions, but I wouldn't want to jeopardise his health or pressurise him into drinking!!  

I will be interested in the answer to this as I to take this drug and last weekend went to a wedding and for the first time since my stroke last year drank alcohol. I hadn't been able to swallow before. I had a few drinks and seemed to be alright. I didn't have a hangover the next day, which is the same as pre stroke as I never had a hangover before.

I will be interested in the answer to this as I to take this drug and last weekend went to a wedding and for the first time since my stroke last year drank alcohol. I hadn't been able to swallow before. I had a few drinks and seemed to be alright. I didn't have a hangover the next day, which is the same as pre stroke as I never had a hangover before.

I take clopiwhatsit and I have a couple of glasses of wine. I probably booze to the "recommended limit" for most folk. It doesnt seem to affect me. Quite hobnestly I wasnt aware that I should be abstaining. I can stop if required. Every lent I have zero alcohol for the 42 days of lent. 

I do wonder about the medications and their interaction.

In your position I would have a couple of glasses on special occasions. We are survivors and we need to have a life.

Best wishes

Colin

Hi NicABella, 

I looked Clopidogrel up on the NHS website it says that you can drink alcohol whilst taking the drug but in moderation as alcohol can upset the stomach and so can the Clopidogrel.

Hope this helps 

Kind Regards 

Kay 

Thank you, shame on me for not looking it up myself, but often I think you get better advice on this site!

Thanks 

Thank you  - I partake from time to time, but am such a lightweight I fall asleep after half a glass these days!  I think we still feel cautious about anything which might be detrimental to my husband's health, but ultimately it's about balancing the risk, and hopefully a small of glass of wine occasionally won't be a problem.  

"Bottoms Up!!"

smiley

It's nice to think that SS can have a small drink and feel included in celebrations, or just for pleasure.  Apparently the NHS site advises that it is ok to drink in moderation whilst taking Clopidegrel, however be aware of any stomach upset, but clearly this didn't happen in your situation - happy days!

No problem! Glad to help as like you I've found advice, information and support from contributors to this site   .

Hi NicABella

You may be interested in the alcohol section, which can be found in Advice & Information here - https://mystrokeguide.com/advice-and-information/physical/alcohol

Drinking alcohol in moderation & sensibly is what is recommended, but do check with your husband's GP if you are concerned about the interaction with his medication.

Take care

Vicki 

Thanks Vicki.  He doesn't miss alcohol, as we were very moderate drinkers pre-stroke, (well certainly compared to most of our friends, colleagues and family!!)

He is on some fairly hefty medication, as he had a liver transplant in 2004, (not alcohol related), and has had a mitral heart valve replacement, (which I believe precipitated the stroke), so he is naturally going to be extremely cautious.  It will be handy to refer him to this information - many thanks.  Meanwhile, we'll be celebrating his 1 year anniversary today, with some ginger beer!!!  laugh

"Balancing the risk" is spot on. We have to live our lives and there is always some risk. I was so close to death from stroke and even started to leave my body, but I was back in a flash, so obviously I am meant to survive. Well at least for now. 

Colin

1 Like

Thank you keep right on.