Advise please

Hi, hope everyone is well.

I wanted to know if anyone else has felt this way.

I tend to get annoyed at very loud noises and need to step away in to a quiet room for a little while. Also, whilst socilaising i get to a point after a certain amount of time where i physically dont want to talk or listen to anyone. I feel mentally drained and again need to go in to a quiet room.

Also, last night something strange happened. I opened my phone list to call my husband, whose name was the first one. I stared at my phone looking at his name thinking what does this word say? what is my husbandā€™s name? How have I forgotten it?.. a little while later i remembered and could read properly again.

Any advise would be appreciated x

Hi @Anisa Iā€™m the same with loud noises or if there are even 2 noises going on at the same time I need to get away to silence.
I can forget how to work simple things when Iā€™m tired maybe thatā€™s what happened with you phone.
Mentally drained is a phrase Iā€™ve often said after visitors have left, nice to see them but its exhausting.

1 Like

@Anisa i am exactly the same with noise. I canā€™t even cope with things like knives & forks on plates. I pick & choose my social activities now & will turn down those that i think will be too noisy as they always bring on my fatigue & can wipe me out for days.

In the early days post stroke I had trouble reading anything but this has improved over time.

1 Like

Anisa, I think it very common after a stroke to overwhelmed by noise and have ā€œmind blanksā€, usually when you are feeling fatigued. Donā€™t worry about it,

1 Like

Hi Anisa-- I think after my stroke, my brain was so tired from the trauma and the process of healing and rehab. It got on overload easily. So, I had to be careful with any kind of stimulation-- noise, visits with family, etc. It made my brain so tired and exhausted me. My brain would ā€œblank outā€ sometimes, because it/I was so tired. Now, 4 years later, I can handle most things, but it was a gradual process over a long time of healing. So, I wouldnā€™t worry too much about that part. It takes time. Be patient with yourself. :slightly_smiling_face: Jeanne

4 Likes

Hi Anisa,
I had the same problem with noises when I first came home from the hospital after my stroke. Additionally, I would cry it just about everything itā€™s been two years since I had my stroke and now noises are not so intrusiveā€¦ Now I can listen to the radio at a normal type of volume And I am not crying nearly as much as I was over anythingā€¦ I do get sensory overload and I get really frustrated when Iā€™m trying to walk and my husband or anybody talks to me because now I have to focus on each step and I canā€™t talk and walk at the same time . The same thing goes for driving. I used to love to drive everywhere and was always the driver and whenever we would have a group of people know itā€™s a labor-intensive activity for me to driveā€¦ I still cherish the ability that I can drive, but I canā€™t talk and listen to the radio and do all the things I used to do when I drove. I hope this helps and I wish you many blessings on your recovery know that the brain can repair more than the doctors even know. You just need to celebrate the little victories and truly look for them! Iā€™ve been listening to a lot of Abraham hicks on YouTubeā€¦ That seems to help me get into the right frame of mind to help me to heal myself. There is also alpha waves that are also on YouTube that I will have on in the background as Iā€™m doing my exercises
Happy healing

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. Some helpful advise.

Iā€™m on week 8 of my recovery jorney so still pretty new. Sometimes i completely forget ive had a stroke and try to get on with my ā€˜normalā€™ routine until my body tells me otherwise. Im still figuring out what my new ā€˜normalā€™ is.

Being kind to myself, taking a lot of time to rest and do things that keep me happy. The road to recovery is long but im taking it one step at a time :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes