Advice

Going to try bus trip local bus but so anxious but need to do this or I’ll never leave house

6 Likes

Good luck with that! I remember the first time I walked home alone after a stroke meeting to which I’d been driven by my wife. It was rather scary especially crossing the first road and I had to wait till there was no vehicle in sight in either direction before daring to start.
I still do the same after 7 years. I havnt the confidence to challenge moving vehicles.

Deigh

1 Like

Go for it @Mickyboy, I struggled the first time out on my own, I had to rely on focal points, talking to people on the way helps, be brave. We are not as everyone else, we are beacons for survival. Tackle it as a survivor, nothing else matters, it’s our victory.

3 Likes

I’m so glad to hear you’re doing this. My anxiety and depression got so much better after I began entering the world again. I eased back in with “baby steps”. A little here. A little there. And my life began to change for the better. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

2 Likes

Morning :wave: Try and make it a familiar journey/destination. You are bound to feel anxious but it’s the same for all of us the first time we try something that we used to take for granted. Picture this as a step towards bigger things and what it will open up to you. I haven’t gone anywhere other than on my own two feet yet unless my other half or parents have taken me so this is also on the cards for me. Good travelling! Julia

1 Like

Good lucky Mickeyboy. I wouldn’t dare go out alone without a phone in my pocket and then only for a short walk. The first time I was taken out ai was terrified, take your time,Brest when you need to and start to enjoy things. Stroke taught me that life is short. Fortunately, ai travelled a lot when I was younger and have wonderful memories.

Many years ago ai realised that one day I might only have the view from my window. I don’t, but even if that was the case, ai would try and see all ai go from that limited view. There is beauty everywhere.

3 Likes

Ive only caught the bus once so far and then only to the local shop but it was a success. Am thinking though of getting a lanyard or a cane as althouh I am fortunate in not needing the latter I did appreciate sitting in the disabled seats at the front because my balance is not perfect. I felt rather judged by the other passengers for doing so as I don;t think my disability is obvious.

2 Likes

Well go for it micky boy even if you only go to the next bus stop remember a journey starts with a thousand steps remember the tortoise and the hare the tortoise gets there in the end good luck

1 Like

Still trying to build up the courage to do it, anxiety is a killer bus stop right outside my house and on other side way back. But I just freeze at the thought of doing it, plus have dental appointment end of month and no one to take me, daughter took me wed for a clean up and froze in chair as was expecting pain but none there took care with me which helped my anxiety no end, but keep feeling as I’m going to fall and legs get heavy sometimes I’m an emotional wreck for a man that’s hard was brought up to be stiff upper lip dad was army man and strict

3 Likes

Good luck. It’s all about baby steps (excuse the pun). Set yourself small challenges. Maybe walk the distance between two bus stops? Going outside your comfort zone is daunting at the best of times, but ten times worse after a stroke. Please report back Mickyboy. We’re all right behind you.

3 Likes

Hi Mahoney,
As usual right on point. There are such lovely people on here.
Amanda

1 Like

@Mickyboy i hope you overcome your anxiety so you can get on the bus. As someone else mentioned take it in baby steps. Often I find the thought I’d worse than the reality but it still takes courage to go for it. Let us know how you get on we’re all willing you on.

1 Like

Thank you at least I have friends on here mick

1 Like

I left hospital Friday 11th March at 7pm booked taxi to take me home stood waiting in rain for 20 minutes itn never came! so had to catch 2 buses to get home managed thankfully :joy:Then had much needed coffee :coffee::grinning:

@rebecca74hall47 welcome to the forum. That doesn’t sound ideal after being discharged from hospital. Think I’d have needed many coffees after that :grin:. Hope you’re doing ok.

1 Like

Yes I did have 1 or 2 more😆

3 Likes

That sounds awful - no wonder you had a few cups of coffee2

Same @Mickyboy, dad was RAF. When I tell him I’m on on medication, he proudly says to me at the age of 84, ‘Well, I’m not on any medication’. In his late seventies he suffered a few panic attacks, doctor prescribed him medication, he refused, went out and bought a bottle of rum, and then advised that I do the same. Bless him, he’s a lovely chap, but solid in the mind. I’ve just been doing some CBT stuff, and as @Mahoney says, grade the experience. So, maybe wait for the bus, let it pass. Next time, maybe you can talk to the drive, and let him know how you are feeling, and that you may need to get off at the next stop. Each, step is a victory. Nothing else is of consequence but your comfort and confidence, anyone else around who has a heart will at least have an idea that your circumstance is different. When we cheer for an athlete, we cheer the achievement that they have set for themselves, not something we have set for ourselves. And it is important to reward yourself after each step, this is called biofeedback, and it’s a way to let the brain know that it can approach the next challenge confidently. I’ve been told that stroke survivors need to be a bit selfish, and I think that is not so bad.

1 Like

Thank you there seem to be lots of lovely people on here :grinning:

2 Likes

Rebecca-- I’m so sorry you had just a difficult time getting home from the hospital. What an experience! :pensive: Hopefully things will go must smoother going forward. Welcome to the forum.!! There’s a wealth of experience here, so if you have any questions, just ask. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like